[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have any of you ever successfully bought a plot of land and just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 8

File: airstream.jpg (70KB, 916x270px) Image search: [Google]
airstream.jpg
70KB, 916x270px
Have any of you ever successfully bought a plot of land and just thew an airstream or something similar on it and called it good?

I was thinking of doing just that. I don't mind cooking, cleaning, washing up outside even in the cold. My only real concern is keeping an ac going in the summer for my doggos (moved from NY to NV so my akita mix isn't best suited for the environment)

I'm basically looking for the cheapest way to fuck out of the city with my pups. Land towards the sierras is actually pretty expensive and I'd rather pay more for land and less for housing than vice versa.
>>
>>1040450
I havent, but bump.
>>
>>1040450
the problem is water and power. if you want either of those things, the little bit of extra cost to build an actual cabin is trivial.
>>
If you want to run A/C on the cheap then get a diesel generator or make one yourself.
Run it on 95% used cooking oil, 5% kerosene.
>>
>>1040450
Bump. Where are you looking OP. I've only ever found cheap land in Nevada. Is it possible for a poorfag to afford a few acres of forrested land?
>>
>>1040514
Yes, as long as you don't live in the Northeast (or aren't so destitute than any price tag with a comma in it is out of reach).

Even prime black-dirt prairie land kinda tops out at $10,000 an acre and usually sells for less than that in the Midwest.
>>
>>1040450

That is exactly what I am going to do. I got about 35K. I am in the planning stages.

Going to

>buy ~10-15 acres with a well in the middle of bum fuck now where.
>Buy used cheap RV
>Solar powered generator and panels (these are getting super cheap).
>Build a water tower and septic tank, connect it to RV.
>Garden vegetables on ~ 1/4 acre mostly potatoes.
>Shit load of sun flowers
>A handful of dwarf fruit / nut trees
>A rabbit clutch or chickens.

I figure I can get buy on minimal propane usage or get a wood stove. Buy a few things from town once a year or so. Sell rabbit pelts to buyers for a few bucks each to pay property taxes and propane.
>>
>>1040564
You under estimate how poor the insualtion is in an RV. Youre going to burn through a lot of propane to keep it warm all winter. A wood stove is a better idea, but you'd have to do some modification to get it to work.

Unfortunately because of thebpoor insulation and the fact that the water lines are not insulated, and usually run under the RV, it would be hard to keep them from freezing in the winter.

A few rabbit pelts would never cover peppery taxes and propane. You'd probably need several thousand dollars a year minimum... that's a lot of rabbits.

Keep in mind most generators will not put out enough to run an AC unit on an RV. You'd need a pretty robust generator. Those RV AC units draw a lot of power.

>>1040450
Forget an airstream OP, they're stupid expensive. You could build a cabin for less. A new airstream is $80k+, used ones that are in shit condition are $20k+

You would need somewhere to dump your spetic evwr few days, and some way to Keep it from freezing in the winter since none of those lines are insulated.
>>
>>1040584
a new AIRSTREAM is 80k+ ?!
no dude.
no.
used one's arent even close to 20k. where do you live that you are so financially screwed with prices?
>>
>>1040564
he's right though. rabbit pelts will never cover property taxes.
>>
>>1040584

I have been living in the arctic, I am familiar with cold weather. I was thinking of someplace in the midwest.

Property tax on undeveloped land is around 300$ a year from what I was looking at.

Used shitty one is about 5k

>>1040601
Obliviously, I would not rely solely on rabbit pelts.... but misc random little things I can do for a few hundred bucks.
>>
>>1040584

My concern with building a cabin is permitting. I really want to deal with as few people as possible in this regard. Once you get contractors and labor involved the costs start to skyrocket.
>>
>>1040770
You do the labor! A lot of places allow the homeowner to do the electric an plumbing themselves. Building a cabin is not rocket science, it's just work.
>>
>>1040600
>a new AIRSTREAM is 80k+ ?!
>no dude.
>no.

You are such an arrogant little faggot. Yes, they absolutely do cost that much.
http://www.colonialairstream.com/2018-airstream/flying-cloud-for-sale/11307/index.html
>>
Someone explain the airstream to me

It looks like it would be 400 degrees on the outside
>>
>>1041010
It's pure Art Deco.
Bitch nigga like you wouldn't understand.

Also, reflective surface helps keep the heat out.
>>
>>1040600

http://www.colonialairstream.com/2017-airstream/classic-for-sale/10885/index.html

Here is a link to a new Airstream Classic. It's not the top of the line airstream either.

$140k.

Even The smallest airstream is $40k, and it's only 16 feet long, and is absolutely tiny. If you want a normal sized airstream, be prepared to shell out $100k.
>>
>>1040611
Even the Midwest it gets cold on the winter. A typical travel trailer would freeze all the water lines over winter.

Also, where are you going to dump your black tank? If you put in a septic, the land becomes developed and taxes go up. Also, depending on locality, parking an RV and living in it changes the taxes as well since it's a liveable, albeit moveable structure.

>>1040611
Show me anywhere you can find an airstream for $5k that's even remotely liveable. You're dreaming.
>>
OP can buy a tow behind storage trailer and convert it into a dream hut for less than $40k. That includes fancy mirror costing if so inclined.
>>
So where are you going to poop
>>
>>1041095
I see
>>
>>1041137
$40k would buy a lot of nice stuff, big travel trailers, small 5th wheels, a tiny house, a cabin. I'm not sure the best way to spend $40k is on a cargo trailer. I think youd have an easier time with something else.
>>
>>1040584
haha for years i just dug a hole in the ground and emptied the tank into it and covered it back up. made some nice grass.
>>
>>1041173
Haha i guess that works but I can't say that's a long term solution, especially if you ever wanted to drill a well.
>>
>>1042430
Are water tanks not a thing in America?
>>
File: sitetrailer.jpg (145KB, 1200x1125px) Image search: [Google]
sitetrailer.jpg
145KB, 1200x1125px
I'd buy a trailer like this from auction till you can build a proper shack/house. They're built and insulated better than RV's. Try get one that was used as a office instead of lived in. Find a property with a well or a stream, Drilling a well is expensive as shit. I'd think about insulation and materials before you worry about AC. AC takes a shitload of energy to run. Your going to need serviced land which can be expensive.

>>1042430
Millions of rural acreages have septic tanks and water wells pretty close to each other. The earth is a pretty good filter.
>>1042438
Not for drinking water. We have wells.
>>
You can get 40 foot shipping containers for like 2-3k. I have considered this for my cabin, but have decided I will probably build with scrap timber, and use tree stumps as a base for my foundation.
>>
For escaping society, it's a common mistake to focus on shelter first. above all, you need a passive income stream and all of your cash should go towards investments first.

Then, once you have that, start to look at moving to lower your col. But a piece of land is more of a meme than anything else. Look at a cheap, small home near an affordable city. (Google top ten most affordable cities for hints)
>>
>>1040564

35k is maybe 1/10th of what you'd actually spend to get everything you've greentexted up and running.
>>
File: camp.jpg (343KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
camp.jpg
343KB, 1280x960px
>>1040450
old uhaul camper some idiot painted silver on 200 acres somewhere in eastern ontario
>>
File: 1260132323249.jpg (68KB, 485x277px) Image search: [Google]
1260132323249.jpg
68KB, 485x277px
>>1040450
this.
this is my absolute dream
>>
>>1040611
>property tax on undeveloped land is around $300 a year
lololololololololololol no

I've got a hair over 600 acres of mixed farm and creek ground in IL (387 tillable acres, which are taxed at about 170% the rate of un-tillable). I pay nearly $25,000 a year in property taxes.
>>
>>1042453
A septic tank processes the waste though.

It's not the actual feces in feces that makes people sick, it's the parasitic organisms.
>>
>>1042453
>drilling a well is expensive as shit
No, putting an electric pump capable of handling residential needs on the well is expensive as shit. I had a well dug on my farm for a massive $380, including the cover and hand pump.
>>
>>1043638

Nigga I'm not tryin to buy more than like 10 acres.
Thats about $415 at your tax rate.
>>
>>1043639
Septic tanks absolutely do not process waste. They need to be emptied 1-2 times a year and the cost of that is usually a few hundred dollars depending where you live.
>>
>>1043679
that's not how all septic systems work
>>
>>1043681
That's very much how all septic TANKS work. There are leech field systems that aren't tanks that do work differently. Specifically tanks, do need to be emptied.
>>
>>1043639
>>1043679
>>1043681
Septic tanks are a primitive anaerobic reactors. It does provide some treatment but you still need to pumped out the solids that accumulate over time.
>>
why use a trailer instead of building a permanent little cabin?
>>
i knew a guy who tried to do something like this. he started raising chickens and had a goat. he screwed up his payments and lost the land, and somehow his goat died. i'm really not sure how he emptied is grey water.

he did have municipal electricity. he was extremely lonely and drank a lot. his postman was crazy and used to creep on his land until he ran out with his rifle and chased him around his property, shooting rounds off into the woods.
>>
>>1040450
My gf and I are doing this exact thing while our house is being built. Get a big one, you'll enjoy the room
>>
I would build a pull barn on land with a well, and put my camper in the barn. It would be much easier to heat and cool the camper, also a pull barn can later be wired for electric, which is invaluable to have on sight when developing land. Also land with a barn will have much lower taxes then land with a domicile.
>>
>>1040564
>a plan that will only work in my adolescent mind
>>
>>1043693
Yeah. Once every 20-30 years depending on usage. If you're having to pump it out more frequently than that you have someone in your household routinely flushing shit they're not supposed to (usually tampons or maxi-pads), or the system is multiple times too small for the number of people in your household.
>>1043690
If you have a septic tank with no outlet to a leech field, whoever installed it broke every single fucking plumbing code to ever exist and defrauded you/the previous owner. They're REQUIRED TO have an outlet to a leech field, by law, and have been required to since like the 1930's.
>>
>>1046304
Where do you live that septic is pumped out every 20-30 years? I wouldn't advise someone to let it go beyond 5 years (and that's pushing it) without pumping unless they have an oversized tank and only 1-2 people using it.

Letting it go 20 years is just asking to fuck up your leech field. It's not like pumping out is difficult for the owner anyways, it's just a phone call and maybe a few hundred every 2-3 years.

But I do agree that this >>1043679 is wrong. If you have to empty your septic more than one time a year someone didn't size the tank correctly or you are abusing it somehow.
>>
>>1046316
I live in rural NC. I live with 2 other adults (one female, since they always seem to manage to use 20x the toilet paper of a guy) in a 3-bedroom, 3-bathroom house. So not at its highest potential capacity but it's not like I'm living alone on a system built to handle 30 people.

As per both the EPA and local guidelines we get it checked every 2-3 years. I've lived here 11 years, it's never been pumped, the service company keeps saying it doesn't need to be pumped. It was pumped prior to us buying the house as per standard sale procedures but according to the service records it didn't need it then.

The previous owners had been an extended Hispanic family of 11 people.
>>
>>1040450
I've been looking at this kind of thing for a while. I think instead of a trailer I'm going to go with a "hunter's camp" property and build up from there. Prebuilt structure but not pricy construction with unneeded shit, usually off-grid or low utilities so they sell for like 10-20k USD where I looked.
>>
>>1046167
ay, building shit with the gf is a bad idea anon kun
>>
File: IMG_20161121_095327.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161121_095327.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Sup niggas

I'm about three years in, closed on the land 4 years ago today.

I've got answers if you've got questios
>>
>>1047151
Ok then how about the basics:
Electricity?
Water?
Septic?
Internet?
Food?
>>
>>1047155
Also cost and work
>>
>>1047151
Is this your house
>>
>>1047155

Little generators for power tools, any 110v needs, 2 little solar panels and tractor batteries for lights and music.

Septic is an outhouse and portolet. I empty it off site. Rain barrel for non potable water, drinking water is hauled in. I shower at work.

I have a grill with a burner on it, but I buy most of my food pre prepared.
I think I'm about 4 to 5 grand into the octagon, could probably have halfed that cost. I overdid a lot of things.

Yea that's my little abode. 96 sq foot octagon. Had to be under 10 structural height to slip underneath needing a building permit.
>>
>>1047177

I work maintenance for a big local employer. It's soulless but I can have all the cars and toys I want. Make barely over 40k a year.
>>
>>1047201
Do you ever want to have a family? If you do what is your plan for that?
>>
>>1040562
An akre is 1/270th of a square mile. That's not much, youd need 1001 acres to be comfy, and that aint cheap
>>
>>1047307
100+*
>>
>>1047301

I do...

I plan on building a garage according to how the town wants things done then we can talk about compromises like a composting toilet or outhouse.

I also have miraculously found a gf who works on boats. I knew she was a good one when she stayed at my house 2 days after I left.
>>
>>1047317
You hit the jackpot, buddy.
>>
File: 2017-06-28 01.27.43.jpg (1MB, 2829x1590px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-28 01.27.43.jpg
1MB, 2829x1590px
Im working on doing this. Have the land purchased and will be going to tunnel into a steep face thats facing away from the road. 100% of my electricity will come from the sun as Im in the desert, hence the solar, and tunneling. Will haul water in.
>>
>>1047201
Post inside please!
>>
>>1047317
You're going to make it.
>>
>>1040450
I bought 2 acres with electricity, water well, and septic tank for 6800. Installed a 30amp breaker, connected into the well and septic. Parked my RV there and called it good. I love it. I travel a lot with it too.
>>
File: IMG_6035.jpg (108KB, 615x455px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6035.jpg
108KB, 615x455px
>>1049856
Here's my set up. The fence sets up and disassembles pretty easy. Takes a good hour to drive the posts. I secure it with zip ties. I gotta have it for my dogs and also security. Sometimes I need the fence, sometimes I don't. Everything folds up and/or goes in the trucks or RV when I'm ready to go. Easy.
>>
>>1040564
Don't listen to the haters.

I recommend chickens. The kind that can free range and forage well. Some breeds are shit at that. You will be able to get enough eggs to eat for yourself and sell to other people and use the money to feed the chickens and have a small amount extra. Of course, the more they forage the less food you need to feed them.

Chickens are also great at eating things you throw out, tilling the fallow garden plots, and removing pest insects like ticks, grubs, Japanese beetles, and 1,000s of others. Once you have some hens and a rooster, get an incubator so you can always raise new chicks at any time for food.

Look into berries too. Blackberries are amazing for chickens. It provides cover for them, them fertilize it, and they get to eat the low berries. Plum trees are good for the same thing. You can also make a corral around a single tree for chicks/juveniles. they get cover from the sun and hawks and fertilize the tree. After the grass is trampled, move it to a new tree.
>>
>>1049856
>>1050167
Nice setup and good price on the partially developed land.
>>
File: IMG_6053.jpg (121KB, 640x447px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6053.jpg
121KB, 640x447px
>>1050172
Thanks. It's ok. There's another 9 acres behind me that's for sell that I'm in the process of buying. I really lucked out on the property that I have right now. Took about 1 year to clear it and cut trees out the way I wanted. A house had burned down here and the sellers just wanted to get rid of it. I have great privacy and trees all around me and the center is clear. Awesome wildlife and hunting/fishing.

We spend August/September thru winter here then usually travel between April and August. I'm clearing the rear of the property for a pole barn right now. Wife and I will never live in a "house" again. Honestly spend 450 a month. Occasionally I or my wife will have a good contract and we leave for a short while but nothing too far unless the money is really good.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.