[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay, /out/, I need some advice and to be called an idiot if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Okay, /out/, I need some advice and to be called an idiot if need be.

I'm from Southern Ontario and have always wanted to see "the mountains". Southern Ontario is the flattest piece of land you'll ever see, the biggest hill in my area is literally an old garbage dump that was covered over.

So I've been planning a long camping/road trip out West to see the Rockies and I'd like to try my hand at dispersed camping (or off-site, wilderness, backcountry camping, whatever you want to call it). I've camped quite a few times before in Northern-ish Michigan (think centre of the mitten) so am not completely new and I'm not an out of shape fatty so I think I can handle it just fine physically. However, I am kinda scared shitless of bears, especially after reading about them. The idea of them entering my camp after night while I'm sleeping is particularly terrifying.

The place I had in mind to spend at least the first few days of my trip was Custer Gallatin Forest in Montana and apparently this area has both Grizzly and Black bears. Should I consider a different spot? Do you have any other, less bear prone suggestions that would still let me satiate my mountain boner? Or am I making too big a deal of it and will be okay if I follow the general bear advice and carry bear spray?

tl;dr first time dispersed camping, worried about bears, suggestions?
>>
Too long, I won't answer unless you give me a to:dr
>>
>>1039793
b-but, anon, I did
>>
>>1039794
Well I'm not reading through that shit to find it. Learn to green.
>>
>>1039787
If you want to go into the mountains but not deal with grizzly bears then go east, not west. If you go camping in the rockies then you have to be vigilant for bears, doubly so if you are going backwoods and not in a campsite. The likelihood of a bear attack is still very low, but that probably won't do anything to deter a worry-wort like you
>>
>>1039787
There are plenty of mountains without grizzlies
If you are so worried about it, go to them instead
Don't worry about black bears
Don't be an idiot, and they are harmless
>>
>>1039787
If you are in southern ontario, killarney pp is a few hours drive away, so is adirondack state park if you have your passport.

There will be plenty of black bears there, but your are incredibly unlikely to be attacked if you take precautions such as hanging your food. Bear spray is mostly peace of mind in these areas (you are near people and have cell reception), you can decide if it's worth carrying the extra pound or not yourself..
>>
File: 20066011533_f63f337f5e.jpg (112KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
20066011533_f63f337f5e.jpg
112KB, 500x333px
>>1040556
>forgot pic, killarney pp
>>
>>1039787
You sound like you are from Kitchener.
>>
>>1039787
>>1042238
Me again.
I'd recommend elfin lakes in BC. A solid hike, some black bears, wild blue berries to feast on and of course mountain top lakes. It's big enough you can have you time and explore the wilderness pretty isolated but you will also have other tents nearby at night for safety.
>>
Come to Alberta. If driving: the drive through Manitoba and Saskatchewan is boring as fuck, but Alberta is great. Stop somewhere along the Red Deer river valley to see badlands. Then drive to Banff and drive up the Icefields Parkway to Jasper.

Don't worry about bears. Millions of people enter the Rockies each year without so much as seeing one. Attacks are rare and fatalities rarer. Just make noise when you're travelling and they'll get out of your way before you have a chance to see them.
>>
>>1042239
>mountain top lakes
Tell me more aboot these magical things
>>
>>1042339
You walk up and suddenly you are the top of one of the smaller mountains. There are two ponds there. One for bathing one is potable.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.