[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I took the day off from work to go hiking and have lunch in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: hhhnnnnnggggggg.jpg (14KB, 236x269px) Image search: [Google]
hhhnnnnnggggggg.jpg
14KB, 236x269px
I took the day off from work to go hiking and have lunch in the woods today but as soon as i got out of bed i got a muscle spasm in my back. Right under my left shoulder blade.

Can't move much, laying on my side with a heat pad on. Took ibuprofen and water. Is there any trick you outists know that will allow me to get on the trail today?

Also I'm guessing the bed might be my problem. Maybe it's too soft?
>>
>>1031596
Probably not your bed but more to do with your sleeping position and daily posture.

Do you have a rounded upper back, with your neck at a forward angle as if you've spent most your time reading? If so, it can stretch out the muscles in the upper and mid back that can give you the spasms.

Aside from painkillers and some lat stretches, there's not much you can do to make the pain go away right now. However, for the future I would recommend adjusting your posture to an upright one, with your shoulders sitting back and square, and your head nice and tall. You'll get fewer injuries that way.
>>
>>1031596
Long hot shower should help.

Otherwise, stretch. Pitcher's stretches help with that. The muscles you're most likely sore in are either the erector spinatus (runs along the spine and is what controls bending and shit) or your lats (latissimus dorsi).
>>
>>1031606
What's the best way to correct posture? I've heard trying to imagine your head is attached to a string and it's pulling you towards the sky is good. It's tough to make this habbit though.
>>
>>1031621
The first thing I always teach is learning to retract the scapula. It sets your shoulders into the right position and helps stop you from rounding forward.

If your neck is out of line, you can use WEAK resistance bands to pull your head back in line, but they have to be weak, you don't want to fuck yourself.

Posture is mainly affected by your daily life though, if you spend most the day sitting down in an office in front of a computer screen, you'll find it harder and longer to correct posture than if you were a postman on your feet all day

>I've heard trying to imagine your head is attached to a string and it's pulling you towards the sky is good

Yep, visualisation helps. Whenever you're sitting down, think about the position of your back, neck and hips, are they all aligned? If not, correct yourself. Do the same when standing stationary. When walking, look up and forward, never at your feet.
>>
File: 1482336138257.jpg (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1482336138257.jpg
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>1031612
Long hot shower helped. I also alternated to cold water a few times. Looking up pitchers stretches now.

>>1031627
Just watched a few vids on retracting the scapula. Shrug up. Drop down. Roll them back. Good shit.

I am an a/v tech. Every day is a random combination of construction work, network config on a laptop squeezed into tiny rack rooms, crawling behind people's entertainment systems, and hauling 40lbs of tools on muh back. I'm gonna have to really pay attention now when I'm at those weird angles and postures.

Thanks for the tips anons heres some (You)s for your trouble.
>>
>>1031638
Drink more water.
Get up and stretch a little more often.
>>
>>1031627
Grew up with a single mother. She would tell me to look at my feet when I'm walking at least once a day, and would never let me do anything /out/ related for fear I might spontaneously die.

You're right about the daily life thing though. Trying to correct your posture by walking and sitting right is painful and pretty much impossible. To me, it feels like dieting. It's incredibly uncomfortable, and you end up with the same reinforcement patterns that fat people get when snacking to alleviate hunger, except you're slouching to feel some comfort every 10 minutes.

The only thing that worked for me was moderate to high intensity physical labor. Stuff just shy of the back injury zone, full body workout. If you practice proper lifting techniques every time you have to lift a 150 pound log and throw it into a burning pile, you will find your posture improves dramatically and the improvement grants you improved strength and energy, allowing you to do more work.

While I was straightening out, every morning my back and neck would make grinding and popping noises before loosening up. After a while, slouching felt uncomfortable. I'm nearly there now.
>>
>>1031596
Chiropractor time.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.