[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Invasive species thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 106
Thread images: 25

Pic related. Fuck these jap cunts, I tear up as many as I possibly can
>>
>>1030660
OP I couldn't agree more but what does that have to do with honeysuckle
>>
>>1030660
Honeysuckle smells godly and you can use the blooms to make a country wine.
>>
>>1030691
Could you recommend a recipe?
>>
File: IMG_0245.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0245.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1030660
>>
>>1030660
Even worse: kudzu and tallow/popcorn trees. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triadica_sebifera
>>
>>1030701
You can swap most flower types around with the flower recipes. The flavor is delicate so use a recipe that has few to no spices or other strong flavors. You should also match the yeast properly for flower country wines. Here's the old standbys for that flower type:

http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques81.asp
>>
>>1030722
what do you do with that? Or is it just fun to kill
>>
File: IMG_1359.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1359.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1031183
I mean you can't throw them back. Just google "snakehead". They end up as food for the raccoons or cats or birds. Some people say they are good to eat, others aren't a fan. Either way I never really eat what I catch and I will release fish alive as long as they aren't some terrible invasive.
>>
>>1031194
Yeah i've heard about them before, wasn't sure if they serve any purpose besides killing. wonder if you could use them for fertilizer
>>
File: 0002156-LGPT[1].jpg (319KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
0002156-LGPT[1].jpg
319KB, 1600x1067px
>>
File: IMG_0241.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0241.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1031204
I need to find an AZN to sell em to. That's how they got introduced in the first place- Asians were farming them for food. And then I think it was Hurricane Andrew in the 90s caused some flooding and they got into the canals and spread.
>>
File: IMG_1795.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1795.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
Just left a job that was ~75% invasive plant control. I've seen every weed in the eastern US and without a doubt kudzu is the worst. Things like Tree of Heaven, garlic mustard, and bush honeysuckle can be really problematic, but nothing comes close to the sheer destruction that can be unleashed by a patch of kuzdu left unchecked. This stuff will readily kill trees and even if you successfully kill every living vine, there are a thousand underground tubers ready to sprout and wreak havoc all over again come spring. Pic related is me on an ongoing kudzu removal job spraying some mean herbicides on a 30 acre kudzu wasteland with the hope of it translocating into the tubers.
>>
File: IMG_1145.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1145.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>1031344
Should be using a flamethrower instead.

Where is it from? How was it introduced?
>>
>>1031353
We actually did burn it all in the winter to incinerate surviving vines and clear the ground so it would be easier to spray the sprouts in spring.

It's from Asia like all the other really bad shit, specifically Korea or Japan iirc. It was brought over as erosion control and was planted by a lot of highway departments back 40-50 years ago and now it's all over the South.
>>
File: IMAG1679.jpg (4MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG1679.jpg
4MB, 2688x1520px
Damn. I thought I had something at least. I've done I basics species removal for parks. Just cut Woody plants down 1-2" from the ground and dab with herbicide. Glyphosate in full concentration 20-50%, though my favorite is Garlon, just be sure to know about pesticide application rules and about applying in or near waters.
>>
>>1031344
Nice use of PPE anon. Out of curiosity what chemical were you spraying.

Though I'm pretty glad we don't have it here in Australia.
>>
I know that feel bro... I've been walking down my local river larely. There are large areas of box thorn. I've been doing a bit of guerilla gardening of late. I carry a folding saw and a \k\nife. I've just added a hatchet to my webbing belt. It is hard to make a dent in the overall problem but at least I'm reducing the amount of seed they can drop next season. It's fun to get \out\ and nice to do something useful
>>
>>1031396
I believe that was a mix of 2-4 D and triclopyr. That was a nasty brew, but it sure killed the shit out of some kudzu.
>>
File: IMG_1696.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1696.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1031499
>nice to do something useful
More like it's nice to kill or destroy something for the sake of Mother Nature. Just like kicking over cairns
>>
File: 220px-Dreissena_polymorpha3.jpg (12KB, 220x154px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Dreissena_polymorpha3.jpg
12KB, 220x154px
Burn in hell cocksucker
>>
>>1031748
Back to your containment thread
>>
File: IMG_1186.jpg (4MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1186.jpg
4MB, 3264x2448px
>>1031749
Zebra mussel? Or whatever? Aren't those fucking everywhere in North and South America now?
>>
File: Quagga_Prop.jpg (119KB, 556x381px) Image search: [Google]
Quagga_Prop.jpg
119KB, 556x381px
>>1031753
Yes and yes
>>
File: futuretendies.jpg (295KB, 1024x650px) Image search: [Google]
futuretendies.jpg
295KB, 1024x650px
Any of yall have experience with Japanese knotweed?
There's an old koi pond in my backyard that the weeb owners in the 70s planted the shit around. So I've been spending the last few years slowly chopping and pulling away at it.
To finish it off I'm thinking of fencing off the area and putting chickens in there to scratch and peck away at the ground and kill the rest. In the past when I've had chickens they've pecked the ground so bad that after a few months when I'd move them the ground would be desolate until the next year. Do you guys think this could work or have any better solutions?
>>
>>1030664
Underrated
>>
File: ggg.jpg (22KB, 600x553px) Image search: [Google]
ggg.jpg
22KB, 600x553px
>>1032699
Thanks anon. It's nice to know you're here to get my back.
>>
>>1032586
How big of an area is it? If it's not very big or if it's hard to fence you can just pull/weed-eat it down until you use up all the energy in the roots and the knotweed just dies.

What you really need is a goat.
>Get goat
>Put stake in middle of weed patch
>Tether goat to stake
>Leave goat until weeds are all eaten
>Repeat every week until no more weeds
>>
Dandelions. They're fucking EVERYWHERE. They've really dominated the local flora here, which is a shame,
>>
File: nMp7SRa.jpg (50KB, 429x605px) Image search: [Google]
nMp7SRa.jpg
50KB, 429x605px
>>1032945
Most people pronounce it "Dandy-Lions" but I prefer to pronounce it "Dan-Dellions" (rhymes with hellions). The look on your aunt's face when you offer her a "dan-dellion salad" and then she finds-out it's a plate of bitter sidewalk weeds >:]
>>
>>1032956
Daddylion
Thats what I call my furfriend
>>
File: it's pH, faggots.gif (241KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
it's pH, faggots.gif
241KB, 300x300px
>>1032956
>Ph
>>
Fucking stilt grass has taken over all the east coast parks. The deer wont eat it and it thrives.

Sometimes i rage about it enough to start whhacking it with my trekking poles but its futile. Its EVERYWHERE.
>>
>>1032945
Them's good eatin
>>
>>1030728
FUCK TALLOW TREES. There's an aquatic herbicide called clearcast or something that a friend of mine gave me, it's toxic to the fuckers and nothing native. I cut down like seven of those goddamn things and poisoned the stumps, a year later they haven't come back. I just have to pull up the ones growing from seed now.
The do smell rather nice when burning, that's about the only good quality I can think of. Most of it got made into charcoal.
>>
>>1031292
You can eat the leaves, flowers, tips and potato-like root tubers and they taste good. Hell, you can even make wine from the flowers.

http://www.thekitchn.com/did-you-know-you-can-eat-kudzu-92488
>>
Most of the annoying shit in the garden is native (knotweed, dandelions, clover, oxalis, chickweed, nettles, wild lettuce...) but there's a few annoying invaders too like galinsoga
>>
I'm a postdoctoral scholar who works with invasive species, primarily insect pests of agricultural systems. AMA.
>>
>>1034632
What the fuck are we going to do about EAB? Shit's killing all our ash trees.
>>
>>1034635
I'm not very familiar with the system, but quarantine efforts are one of the first lines of defense. They primarily focus on banning the transportation of potentially infested wood to new locales. I suspect that we will eventually find that EAB has a limit to the geographic extent it will spread. Whether that is the result of incompatibility with environmental conditions or a lack of suitable biotic interactions (host availability) is anyone's guess right now. That lack of understanding really highlights a general need for basic science on the natural history of invasives.
>>
>>1032933
plot is not very big. 40 x 25 ft maybe. problem with pulling them out and getting the roots is that the pond is basically made up of/surrounded by big rocks, and its hard to get at those roots without destroying the pond. pulling them up has been working just very slowly. have considered a goat but i doubt my family would appreciate that.
>>
>>1031344
used to live in east kentucky, used more readily available means. Diesel was kind of a solution, most people liked the idea of goats, especially on smaller properties that they didn't want soaked with chems. (regardless how safe the chems are, these people have been poisoned by coal ash for years so you can understand the paranoia)
>>
>>1032909
I love you
>>
>>1032956
Actually, it's pronounced "Dent DeLeon". It means Lion's tooth, denoting the shape of the leaves. It was originally brought to America intentionally as a salad green but Americans prefer iceberg over anything with actually vitamins in it, so it became a weed.

Pigs, horses, bees and white people are all invasive species in America.
>>
>>1031353
So that guy in your pic looks like a Parachromis sp., which is definitely introduced (Central American in origin). Any of you guys get a lot of salt cedar around waterways?
>>
File: image.jpg (186KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
186KB, 750x1334px
>>1034527
>greetings fellow greeks!
>>
>>1030722 (checked)
>catch big ass fish
>better throw it on the ground
>>
File: IMG_8827.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8827.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>1036188
What the hell is salt cedar?

And we get all sorts of aquarium fish in the waterways. Yeah, that was a "Manguanese" or "Jaguar" or whatever they call them but your scientific name is the species. The plecos are all over, Oscars are around and used to be all over until we had a cold winter a few years back and they got displaced by Mayan cichlids (which basically displaced the native bluegill). I know people get tiny jewel cichlids and I have seen a few others around (one time I think it was the bright orange Midas cichlids and another lake has what look like convict cichlids).

>>1036544
Checked

And they are raccoon food now.
>>
>>1032945
Where are you? I assumed those were native to North America
>>
>>1034635
Scientists need to crispr that thing out of existence
>>
>>1036555
yeah, flammenkrispr
>>
>>1031194
snakehead are delicious senpai
>>
>>1034632
are you at Iowa State

because i'm from Ames
>>
>>1036663
No, I'm working at Cal.
>>
>>1036555
The problem with the CRISPR approach is that we have to know something about 1) what aspect of EAB natural history is most crucial to its continuing spread, and 2) what is the genetic basis for this character or trait. Only then can we even consider using CRISPR effectively. Unfortunately, and to my knowledge, neither pieces of information are known.
>>
File: 2017-06-12_21-39-17.jpg (687KB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2017-06-12_21-39-17.jpg
687KB, 1800x1200px
Can anyone ID this one that popped up randomly? Looks suspiciously like le 420, which actually had popped up in the same spot of the garden a couple years ago.
If yes how did it get there? I know THC-depleted cultivars are officially planted a couple dozen km away, could brids have brought it?
>>
>>1036821
Fug, this was supposed to go to the /homegrowmen/ thread, but I suppose it kinda fits here too
>>
>>1036824
Hard to say if it's MJ. Give it a week or two, take another picture, then post. Difficult to say if this was bird-mediated dispersal (if it is indeed MJ), but I don't think that hypothesis could be entirely discounted.
>>
>>1035932
"Dent de lion" is the correct spelling of the french term from which the name originates. It's pronounced "Dán-del-ión", though none of the n's are pronounced.

Having said so, dandelion is now an english word and should not be pronounced like the french origin. You'd be surprised how many english words come from french and it'd be insane to pronounce them all french-like

t. speak english and french fluently
>>
>>1036829
French and English both being Latin-based languages, it's not too surprising; what I found really surprising was how much closer French is to Latin, or rather how much American English is fubar'd. As an American who studies etymology, I'm just really embarrassed for all of us.
>>
>>1036821
95% sure that is cannabis
>>
File: polyphagous shot-hole borer.jpg (26KB, 250x196px) Image search: [Google]
polyphagous shot-hole borer.jpg
26KB, 250x196px
This little fucker is the polyphagous shot-hole borer. It drills holes into trees and farms fungus that infects the tree. It's decimating Southern California trees right now. I see it everywhere. Right now I'm 15 feet from wisteria thats all fucked from this little shit, and the parks near me are full of dead and dying trees. Wisteria I can live without, but it's killing our beautiful California Sycamores and Coast Live Oaks.
>>
>>1036821
>could birds have brought it?
It's definitely possible, because cannabis is hard enough to pass through most birds' digestive systems undamaged, however cannabis flowers don't produce fruit, so theoretically only birds that can break down the seeds would put forth the effort unless they were eating the flowers for whatever THC/CBD they could get from it, but I only know of deer doing that. Maybe it was deer? Or maybe it's not THC-depleted, and one of the neighbor kids put it there thinking that you wouldn't notice a random 'weed' at the edge of your garden. Or maybe it's not cannabis at all, but you'll know within a couple weeks if it starts putting on 4th and 5th fingerleaves.
>>
>>1037191
Diatomaceous earth with kill anything with an exoskeleton without hurting vertebrates. Just scatter some around the trees that you want to save.
>>
>>1037194
Deer and kids are near-impossible, it's fenced and suburban, plus not far from the house.
But yeah I'll wait a bit and see what it does
>>
>>1031703

that's literally agent orange you realise?
>>
>>1036821
Honest to god, the leaves remind me of some sort of small tomato plant.
>>
>>1037256
Dude, he's retarded enough to believe there's such a thing as "invasive species". Don't expect him to know his chemistry.
>>
I watched this video about a deadly and invasive species of plant in Hawaii. And they would legit fly around on helicopters searching for the plants shooting it with paintballs full of poison to fill it.
>>
>>1038323
That actually sounds like a fun job. Even if it's completely fucking wrong.
>>
>>1038320
You sound like an expert.
>>
File: tamarisk.jpg (15KB, 341x226px) Image search: [Google]
tamarisk.jpg
15KB, 341x226px
>>1036547
>What the hell is salt cedar?

Also called tamarisk. Imported yearsago form China as an ornamental tree/bush. Sucks up vast quantities of water from the ground thus outcompeting native species. THe water courses in southern Utah especially have been hard hit by it and to a lesser extent in New Mexico. Around Moab, BLM has burned a lot of it along the Colorado River and they have imported and released a beetle that only eats tamarisk. It's a bitch to get rid of.

pic related
>>
Can't believe nobody has mentioned Siberian Elm trees. In the last two years I have begun to really notice how damned near every tree outside of the mountain forested areas of northern New Mexico is literally a Siberian Elm. They grow out of the crack in sidewalks and roadways. There was just an article in the Santa Fe newspaper two weeks ago about how the county is rethinking their efforts to eradicate this species because it is believed it will survive the coming climate changes better than will the native species. They don't look bad from a distance but I personally think they are quite ugly up close. It is unbelievable how quickly they spread. There are small shoots coming up out of the ground everywhere. They are far worse than either tumbleweed, which is largely restricted to soil surfaces, especially those recently disturbed, or salt cedar, which is largely restricted to water courses, including dry arroyos.
>>
>>1037175
English is German-based, not Latin.
>>
>>1039341
olde english is indigenous britbong, latin and germanic based, middle english adds the influence of norman french (itself is latin based), modern english is just the evolution of middle english through usage and literature
>>
>>1039341
Base grammar and most common simple words yes, mid to higher level vocabulary not so much
>>
>>1030722
thank you beps
>>
>>1039294
I clearly claimed to have a Ph.D. in chemistry.
>>
>>1039467
>Claims to hold a Ph.D. in chemistry
>Claims there's no such thing as "invasive species"
Stick with your own discipline, anon.
>>
>>1039504
You're a retard, that's what you are. In this context, "invasive" only means that a certain species has gained a foothold inside a set of arbitrary lines on a map that it didn't have before.
That's why there is no such thing as an invasive species.
>>
>>1039518
You're wrong, but I'll let you think you're right. Good luck to you.
>>
File: furry.jpg.png (490KB, 1197x1103px) Image search: [Google]
furry.jpg.png
490KB, 1197x1103px
>>1039521
You're both wrong, but I'll let it slip this time
>>
>>1039556
OK
>>
>>1032956
>>1035932
Do you two have autism?
>>
File: SANY0009.jpg (80KB, 465x489px) Image search: [Google]
SANY0009.jpg
80KB, 465x489px
Fuck the giant hogweed.
It is fucking up big parts of the forest here.
Back when I was a kid a ton of it grew on the footbaal field of my school.
The boys from 6. grade threw one of the smaller kids right into them and he could be heard screaming on the top of his lungs some time later because the sap reacted with the sun.
He was not attending school for 2 weeks because he was covered in 2nd. degree burns all over.
>>
>>1030664
kek
>>
Buckthorn must be eradicated.
>>
>>1039595
cheeses fucking christ

"The sap of the giant hogweed plant is phototoxic; when the contacted skin is exposed to sunlight or to ultraviolet rays, it can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations). Initially, the skin colours red and starts itching. Blisters form as it burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary."
>>
>>1039595
>>1040327
Not wanting to downplay it, but the same chemicals are in the related H. sphondylium, native at least here in Yurop and extremely widespread
>>
>>1036299
Grease!
Pay denbts!
>>
>>1039595
>Giant Hogweed
This shit originated in hell.
>>
>>1040569
I miss simple captcha. Now google's got us working like slavemonkeys clicking away at cars and road signs, helping improve their google maps algorithms.
>>
>>1040574
>[Settings]
>Quotes & Replying
>Legacy Captcha
>>
>>1041282
holly fucking shit I didn't know that

https://youtu.be/jMj5mvfRERw
>>
File: buckthorn_wanted.gif (25KB, 415x296px) Image search: [Google]
buckthorn_wanted.gif
25KB, 415x296px
Horrible plant. Fast growing & spreading. Chokes out natural plants. Hard to keep up with killing it all .
>>
>>1036554
Alberta. They are native, but only to a specific part of the Rockies. The species that grows in abundance everywhere is invasive.
>>
>>1036554
they've been here since the earliest settlers.
>>
Anyone here have it out for Japanese Stilt Grass?
>>
>>1030722
You've moved to bigger catch I see
>>
>>1037256

Likely Crossbow. Agent Orange was 2,4,5-t and 2,4-d in equal parts. Also the surfactant is a major piece to consider. You could mix 2,4,5-t and 2,4-d 50/50 and have it not be Agent Orange based on the surfactant. Similar to the way Roundup and Rodeo are different herbicides.
>>
>>1032956
This makes for a godly wine. It has a soapy taste to it though.
>>
>>1035932
https://youtu.be/o5FT3IGXtAk?t=40
>>
>>1039567
I can't speak for the other guy, but yeah. What's your point?
>>
>>1032586
I think that's a great idea. Chickens absolutely destroy their ranges especially if you don't give them too much space. I don't see any downsides to it.
>>
>>1034632
What is the downside of letting loose these invasive plants in a desert area? I live in a desert.
>>
>>1031749
>Zebra mussels
Literally fuck them and ruining our waterways
Thread posts: 106
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.