[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on preppers? Kinda seem like most of them wished society

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: 654546878878.jpg (115KB, 744x417px) Image search: [Google]
654546878878.jpg
115KB, 744x417px
Opinions on preppers? Kinda seem like most of them wished society would collapse instead of just preparing for it, so they could live their post-apocalypse fantasy
>>
>>1029249
Prepping for anything more than a natural disaster is pure autism
>>
>>1029250
I agree, though I will say I don't think it's stupid to "prep" for a bad day.

IE keep yourself in shape, carry a decent knife or tool, wear decent shoes, that sort of thing. I just try to keep in mind "what if I have to make my way home with no car or phone?" and plan from there.

Yes, this is something I have to point out, because very few people really stay in shape
>>
I live in a country that each 10 or 15 years experiments social unrest with crime overflowing streets.

I don't think it's that stupid really.
>>
File: S7e33_Weekend_Survivalists_.png (1MB, 1522x817px) Image search: [Google]
S7e33_Weekend_Survivalists_.png
1MB, 1522x817px
>>
File: waterfilter.jpg (91KB, 557x495px) Image search: [Google]
waterfilter.jpg
91KB, 557x495px
>>1029249
there is a broad range of preppers. from homesteaders to lunatics. (that get featured on tv)

i prep because my parents had the experience of bad stuff. they were dissidents in a country that got overthrown by communist. and the is not harm to have basic gear and supplies i use up/ rotate.
>>
>>1029250
He said as people in Venezuela break into zoos to eat animals, the police force is being attacked at every corner, and the government has nearly collapsed while installing a dictatorship.
>>
File: 1496319867347.png (748KB, 528x693px) Image search: [Google]
1496319867347.png
748KB, 528x693px
>>1029249
Preppers are fine, but get a bad rap because of sensationalist media like "National Geographic Channel's Doomsday Preppers" or the movie, "Take Shelter" both of which show extreme views and/or represent mental illness. Media wants viewers/listeners and the best way to get that is to be sensationalist either in action or what is being said.

In fact, the very wording of your post was controlled directly by media. Which is sad for you and everyone else. Your post is more anti-prepping and vilifying than it is an actual question. You already have your mind made up it seems.

For instance, people who have post-apocalypse fantasies to the point of major prepping, as seen in, "Doomsday Preppers" are either mentally ill or being paid to act that way. There are many historical precedents of such reality tv shows paying the people, staring in the show, to act out of character in order to boost ratings. A few years ago, even 4chan had a king of a micronation (the one with the hot daughter) give a detailed account of such an incident where the producers of a reality tv show tried to get his family to be shown stockpiling weapons and wearing matching uniforms, neither of which they do. He of course said, "no thanks," to even being in a reality tv show.

Now ask yourself this, how many people are mentally ill to that specific amount of radicalism? Not that many. There's only a very tiny amount of the population who are actually mentally ill. Of that small percent, very few are preppers.

Thus, the media is shown to be vilifying prepping. I wonder what is up their sleeve as to want that? On the other hand, most 1st world governments actively try to get their citizens to be as disaster-ready as possible. For instance, the USA government (DHS) runs this website, https://www.ready.gov/

>>1029250
It depends on where you live. In some places, there's a real threat of civil unrest that is historically shown to occur.
>>
I think I'm going to enjoy inviting every /out/ist and gear queer to ride it out at my compound.

Once arrived, they will be feminised, broken, and sold as chattel; and I will be the premier post-disaster trap dealer.

"Wife and farmland in one sexy, easily controllable, package." 10% off of you pay in bitcoin.
>>
File: 1443702977944.jpg (26KB, 615x615px) Image search: [Google]
1443702977944.jpg
26KB, 615x615px
>>1029291
>In fact, the very wording of your post was controlled directly by media
Guess the preppers on youtube must be controlled as well, they're all plants to make preppers come off as nutjobs and lunatics
>>
File: 1496349508711.gif (1MB, 286x214px) Image search: [Google]
1496349508711.gif
1MB, 286x214px
>>1029293
I seriously doubt it since there's no money in doing that. /out/ has had a lot of these threads, over the years, and most of them are the same thing. Same image, same question. Most of the time the OP never returns.

As for your observation, most preppers don't tell anyone they are preppers except their immediate family, friends, and neighbors. This isn't simply because they want to keep it a secret. It is because they don't have that mindset in the first place. The loudest people, in this case those who post about prepping online, tend to be the minority. They seek attention they are not getting locally in their lives. That aspect of their personality specifically shows they have "issues". Thus, it is no wonder that when they congregate together all manner or retardation occurs. This isn't endemic to online prepper communities. It occurs in all demographics of online communities. That's why you have 100s of thousands of retards clogging up comment sections for just about every subject (and many major websites getting rid of their comment sections as a result). You can see that simply by perusing pretty much any public and popular youtube channel's video comment sections, regardless of the channel's content. What you don't see very often are large discussions by competent people with "normal" attitudes and views all discussing things in a proper civilized manner. Of course, there are discrepancies to this depending on the level of moderation and popularity of the comment section/blog/website.
>>
>>1029250
zombie apocalypse, alien invasion, and godzilla attack are bullshit.

economic hardship, natural disaster are feasible.

it depends on how far you take it. if you live in a country where you can be snowed in for 3 weeks in the winter with no power having supplies to see you though is just common sense. if you live in an area where you get tornadoes, you likely have shelter it's about being thoughtful in your lifestyle, not so much about a battlebunker full of guns ammo and mres or 50kg bugout bag by the door you've never walked more than 25m wearing
>>
>>1029249
There is a small group of people who have a really unhealthy obsession with being prepared. I'm pretty sure they're the target audience for Super Male Vitality and Infowars water filters. That being said, there's a somewhat dangerous idea now in the general public that anyone who's even remotely prepared for anything is a nutter. Natural disasters happen. Wars happen. Shit happens. There's no good reason whatsoever not to have enough food for a month or two, a few bottles of water, some candles, etc.
>>
File: fdgyj.jpg (85KB, 612x409px) Image search: [Google]
fdgyj.jpg
85KB, 612x409px
>be farmer
>bumper crop of everything nearly every harvest
>can't eat it all
>store, dehydrate, freeze, pickle, water bath can, and pressure can everything left over
>got enough food until next season
>get called a "crazy prepper" when "friends" see pantry

MFW
>>
>>1029300
>(and many major websites getting rid of their comment sections as a result)

HAHA oy vey

you are a good goy ill give you that

too cute
>>
>>1029249
Why would the man give the wife a child gas mask?
>>
it's been commercialized which kind of defeats the purpose of being prepared to live without commercial society which makes them hypocrites but everyone is that
>>
File: 456456.png (410KB, 2560x2168px) Image search: [Google]
456456.png
410KB, 2560x2168px
>>1030101
https://www.google.com/search?q=removed+comment+section

Seems pretty much everything except general forums are removing their comment sections due to vast amounts of abuse. That isn't simply a difference of opinion with discussion points of different views. It is actual targeted retardism towards pretty much everything in existence.
>>
the ones who get the most attention are the crazies. most real preppers are not doing it for crazy reasons like the apocalypse, but rather having some issuance for natural disasters, economic collapse to an extent and many just want to be more self sufficient without relying on the government or others to give them what they want or regulate what they should have.

whether youre into it or not there is a small basses that everyone should fallow. store up food and water for a month, carry protection, make sure you have the right items for the cold and heat as well as being able to make sure you can live without electricity for a while. like or not you dont have to wait for the zombies or total destruction of government to test your shit. tornadoes, floods, snow storms are very real and can carry with them no law or order with no one to help you but your self. chances are things wont stay like that, but even one week with no power, water or help can be torturous if youre not prepared. especially in these soft times we live in.
>>
>>1029249
I see nothing wrong with spending your money on what you want.

We keep rice, soup mixes, bullion cubes, legumes and a few other dried goods stored up along with 25 gallons of local artesian well water. I own firearms and ammunition because we hunt and plink and CC for personal protection.

Would I consider myself a prepper? Not really. Would others? I don't really care what any one thinks.
>>
>>1030174
If the others know you are ready and shit goes wrong, they will come to see you and will require your assistance. It is more than likely that they will insist.
>>
>>1029249
>Wife call me crazy because I keep 50l of bottled water in a closet.
>Suddenly, a canalisation break in the city
>No more running water, may last one or two day
>Wife don't call me crazy now.
>>
File: Follow your dreams.jpg (59KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
Follow your dreams.jpg
59KB, 800x537px
Let's get something straight here.

Prepping isn't about what the media wants you to think it is about. It isn't about isolation. It isn't about running away or bugging out (except flooding/forest fire/volcano type stuff usually). It isn't turning your place into a fort to keep everyone out. All those things will only get you targeted and/or killed.

Prepping is about you and your local community surviving a disaster. That means you and your local community get together to plan everything. Together you decide who is responsible for what items are stocked, what services people can perform, etc. These things are determined by skill sets, locations, and resources on hand. You interact with your local community and train with them for disaster preparedness. When a disaster occurs, you and your local community start following the plan and training you've done. You group together as assigned and do your part as assigned. Everyone will be confident in their abilities and the abilities of the people they are with. Chances of survival as a cohesive group far outweigh a prepper who is an isolationist.

That is what prepping is all about.
>>
>>1029250
Fucking moron. Prepping for unemployment/downsizing is a completely common thing. Prepping for shifts in the economy or a depression are common.

If you're only prepared for what nature, instead of shitty humans, throw at you, you're a fucking idiot.
>>
I think everyone needs to be "prepared" I have a kit in my car in case I have a flat tire, or my car breaks down, or I'm stuck in a snow storm.

My house has enough food that if I can't make it to town for the next few weeks, I won't starve to death.

I have enough ammo to target shoot, or eat animals, for the rest of my life.

These things aren't necessarily there to "prepare me for the end of the world". They are there for anything that goes wrong in my life. If the world as we know it ends tomorrow, it's not a bad idea to have a leg up in what comes next.

But lets be honest...it's about a shitload more than that. Natural disasters? Everywhere has them. Fire, earthquake, flood, tornado. Some places have a combination of those as common threats.

Most people today work in jobs that are, quite frankly, unstable and at risk. Job security is a thing for the self employed and, then, only in service fields...and that's assuming you don't get injured. If I'm injured, I can't work, and injury is a common risk in my field.
>>
>>1029813
/thread
>>
>>1029249
Most of them focus on guns and ammo instead of food or supplies
Those tools are usually in a city (lol).
The actual homesteaders are breddy gud.
>>
>>1030090
Make an infographic on what you do so we can post it endlessly
>>
>>1029249
>Kinda seem like most of them wished society would collapse instead of just preparing for it, so they could live their post-apocalypse fantasy

I'm not a prepper, but I kinda wish this would happen. Without getting too /pol/ with it, you spend your whole life working so that the powers that be can get rich off your labor. In the grand scheme of things we are all basically slaves. If the end of the world as we know it were to happen everything would change. You would be 100% free. You fuck up you die, you do well you live. It is the single greatest"back to nature" event you could possibly imagine.

I think I would give the rest of my life to experience that degree of freedom for just one day. Isn't that why we go out?
>>
>>1029813
>unhealthy obsession

fuck yourself kike

buy whatever water filters and supplements you want, ignore condescending kikes like this. Their shaming is hollow and meaningless.
>>
>prepping food and supplies for natural disasters, power outages, etc.
Perfectly normal and I would recommend.

>hoarding guns, grenades, spending $150K on underground bunkers, and turning a shitbox into a "zombie wagon"
Absolutely retarded
>>
>>1029249
So you have enough food for a couple months, Then what?
>>
>>1029249
I don't see anything wrong with the basic foundation of what those preppers on television seem to go for (having supplies and skills to survive alone) because that's useful in everyday life but the thing that gets me is how all the ones on television seem to have the weirdest, very specific scenarios.
>>
>>1029255
smart anon.
>>
>>1030182
>25 gallons

You need hundreds of gallons bruv.
>>
>>1030280
>natural disasters? everywhere has them
Nope. The British Isles don't. Ukraine doesn't, unless you count the occasional snowstorm that gets REALLY bad. Just as examples.
>>
>>1030679
>The British Isles don't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_natural_disasters_in_Great_Britain_and_Ireland#List_of_natural_disasters_to_have_affected_the_British_Isles.2C_ordered_chronologically

Seems like a big shitload to me.

>>1030676
1 gallon a day per person. That should get him 25 days of water. That's usually more than enough in most places. Your water supply is merely to get you started after a disaster. You are not supposed to rely solely on it. You need to have filtration/solar distilling to maintain an on-going water supply. 25 days of solar distilling will net you a lot of potable water.
>>
>>1029271

There's a lot of things standing between the current situation in the US and what's going on in Venezuela.
>>
>>1030697
Yeah, especially considering each state in the USA is actually its own self-contained country/government body. The US is basically like a mini-UN, which has lots of redundancies.
>>
>>1030090

>farmer
>not selling crops

So you're a homesteader then

>crazy by default
>>
>>1030163

That's just people on the internet being cunts, take your tinfoil hat off already
>>
>>1030253

>and your community

I wouldn't trust any of those fucks, even for they do seem like nice people. Have you seen how fucking crazy people get during black Friday sales? Now imagine if their life was at risk. I'm definitely not going to rely on bob down the road for anything vital whatsoever, he'll just take the shit I've trusted him with and keep it for his family, or run. Fukdat
>>
>>1030704
>I wouldn't trust any of those fucks

You develop trust with your neighbors through interaction, planning, and training. This sort of thing is what helps to prevent the "crazy" you are referring to. When you and "Bob" have spent enough time around each other and know each other's skills and disaster training both of you become more at ease in both your daily life and during a disaster.

You need to remember a disaster normally cuts you off from the outside world. Your local community becomes your entire world for the duration of the disaster. This happens for every in the local community. Even without training or a plan, local communities always band together during a disaster and help each other out. Even during a civil unrest disaster, the people causing the problem are normally outsiders.

The people who end up isolating themselves and put up warning signs to stay out are normally people who don't know the core fundamentals of prepping and don't normally interact with their local community in the first place.
>>
>>1030564
If the situation hasn't improved in "a couple months" most people don't want to continue living.

Also, if you haven't even ATTEMPTED to make/grow/gather more in the meantime and are simply living off your stores you're retarded.
>>1030672
They're paid to be sensationalist weirdos. They either fabricate them once they're approached about being on the show, or the show specifically scouts out the crazies.
>>
>>1030679
Are you SERIOUSLY trying to say the UK has never had a fire, flood, earthquake, red tide, severe blizzard, mudslide, sinkhole, or tidal wave?

Because if you are, you're so far beyond retarded it's comical.
>>
>>1030708
And that all flies right the fuck out the window when Bob's wife goes "nah I'm a woman I shouldn't have to work even if my life depended on it, Bob you're gonna take that shit and we're gonna just keep it".
>>
>>1030884
No, women tend to shut the fuck up and follow the man's lead during a disaster. They sort of shut down in a way. It is kind of disconcerting really. I guess it has to do with 100k+ years of evolution overriding the rational brain.
>>
>>1029249
Having a savings account and stocked pantry are sensible preparedness in the event of loss of employment, so I have a savings account and a stocked pantry. But losing my job is more likely than nuclear armageddon, so I haven't bothered building a bomb shelter or stockpiling radiation pills. I also keep food, water and camping supplies buried near a lake nearby, in case I should lose my home to fire (or if I need to emergency evacuate when the in-laws come to visit).

Who gives a shit if some people want to spend more time and money preparing for a wider variety of risks? It's no different than having insurance, except that people without insurance don't mock those who do.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.