[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how many of you have actually done it? Got any advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (40KB, 333x499px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
40KB, 333x499px
So how many of you have actually done it? Got any advice? Any pics? Stories?
>>
I should make clear that I'm asking because I too am leaving soon to begin the walk. Just curious about people's experiences
>>
Where are you going OP? Looks interesting
>>
>>1028961
Dont forget to wear a chastity belt so that the rape gangs can only rape your mouth
>>
>>1029222
I'm starting in San Francisco and walking all the way to the Carolina coasts. Haven't decided which one yet
>>
>>1029419
Will you be documenting your journey? Also what prompted you too do this? I've always thought about doing it.
>>
>>1028961
Furthest I've walked was from Springfield IL to Perryville, Kentucky. The Lincoln Heritage Trail.

Just a hair over 1000 miles. Took me 38 days.
>>
>>1029431
I won't be documenting it other than occasional uploads here and calls back home. I have a journal and will take some photos. I had some stuff happen and have done a couple spiritual pilgrimage things. I'm not depressed I just really want to walk and think and see America while I'm at it. I'm sure people will think it's stupid, but I'm not asking that. I genuinely want to know if anyone else has experience doing this trip and could share their experience
>>
File: DSCN2458.jpg (474KB, 1383x1037px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2458.jpg
474KB, 1383x1037px
>>1028961
I started walking from Phoenix to New York City a week and a half ago. I saved up and trained for 6 months, then quit my job and sold everything I owned except what I could carry in my pack.

For advice, here's what I can offer:
-Everyone you know will think you're crazy and try to stop you, so embrace your madness and ignore them.
-You only need gear that's good enough, nothing fancy or expensive. But invest the most time and money in your backpack and shoes.
-Save up enough money to carry you to the end, plus an additional month.
-Your planned route won't hold for long, so don't get married to it and be flexible.
-Never be afraid to ask strangers and police officers for help. Once you tell them you're walking across the country, their hearts open up to you.
-Wear long spandex underwear, bring deodorant, and carry wetwipes with you at all times.
-Bring a simple oak walking staff. You can use it for self-defence, as part of your shelter set-up, to support your pack upright when you take it off, as a clothesline, etc etc.

Any other questions you have, feel free to ask and I'll answer them if I have the knowledge.

Right now I'm in Benson, AZ working on a bunch of content for my website and social media stuff. If anyone is interested, I can link the info.
>>
>>1029689

Yesplz
>>
>>1029577
How have you prepared so far? Are you afraid? What will you be taking so far?
>>
>>1029689
Holy shit. OP here. Thanks for the detailed response. I just saw this. Honestly I have a lot of questions but a big one is this: are you at all afraid or have you gotten the feeling you're going to get jumped by cars full of people going by? I live on an Indian reservation in Washington and no one fucks with me because they know me well and like me (I'm not Indian at all in any way) but I do hear about random walkers getting fucked up by drunk high schoolers and stuff on the rez. My only consolation regarding this is that usually these things happen at night when the random vagabond is stumbling along the side of the road and people are looking for trouble late at night, and I don't plan on moving after dark. Thoughts? Are you going to be moving across any reservations and if so what're your experiences/expectations? Any one been hostile to you in general?
>>
>>1029222
America
>>
File: 1458967904821.jpg (120KB, 971x714px) Image search: [Google]
1458967904821.jpg
120KB, 971x714px
This seems like the thread to ask these sorts of questions

I'm planning on hitch hiking from northern California to Seattle

I'm an average looking white dude in his early 20s

how do I?:
>get picked up?
>not get murdered
>meet people
>not freeze/starve
>>
>>1029689
Sounds cool. I have a lot of family in Saint David. I'm related to pretty much everyone who lives there.
>>
File: 1455599522314.jpg (17KB, 531x383px) Image search: [Google]
1455599522314.jpg
17KB, 531x383px
>>1031248
Just be normal. People who run into problems have unrealistic expectations for the projects/adventures they go on. If you're hitchhiking bring a small bag, no bigger than a school backpack. Nobody will stop if they think you or your shit is going to be a hassle, but if it looks like your going to be easy going then your chances of catching better rides go up. Don't bring anything with you that looks like its worth mugging for and keep in mind that hitchhiking is illegal in some places. It's summer right now so you should be able to go from busy road to gas station to wherever with out too much trouble.
If interested look up 'David cho vice thumbs up'. The whole season is about hitchhiking.
>>
File: VVLogoFinalSunCentered750x750-01.png (737KB, 3125x3125px) Image search: [Google]
VVLogoFinalSunCentered750x750-01.png
737KB, 3125x3125px
>>1031178
>are you at all afraid or have you gotten the feeling you're going to get jumped by cars full of people going by?

No, because I have an oak staff, a pistol, and a sword on hand at all times, with the knowledge and experience on how to use them. Plus, I wave at everyone, walk with purpose, and have a big sign on my backpack advertising my website. I'm so much of an oddity that violence is the last thing on a stranger's mind when they encounter me.

But in general, speaking and acting with confidence and carrying a big stick will prevent just about all possible violent encounters in life, regardless of what you're doing.

Also here's my website and social media stuff:

http://www.victoriousvagabond.com
Facebook - @VictoriousVagabondMag
Youtube - Victorious Vagabond
>>
>>1031178
Forgot to respond to this one:
>Are you going to be moving across any reservations and if so what're your experiences/expectations? Any one been hostile to you in general?

No because most reservations prohibit carrying deadly weapons of any kind, and I'd be a fool to not carry one with me. My route avoids reservations.

And no, not a single person I've encountered has been hostile to me. As soon as I tell people what I'm doing, they perk up and try to help with what they have. Random people have stopped by on the highway to give me cold water or money. It's way too difficult to explain with words, but it's like once you have a momentum going, people want to be a part of it and the world unfolds in your favor.
>>
Checked the site. He's actually carrying a god damn sword

I tip my fedora to you Sir
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.