[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>maintaining sodium backpacking easy >maintaining calcium

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: potassium for your assium.jpg (42KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
potassium for your assium.jpg
42KB, 750x750px
>maintaining sodium backpacking
easy
>maintaining calcium backpacking
easy
>maintaining potassium backpacking
FUUUUUUCK!

any suggestions beyond carrying over 9000 lbs of dried apricots?
>>
>>1027102
It's rarely an issue unless you have a medical condition.

Eat normal food, you'll have plenty of potassium.
>>
>>1027102
Generally it takes 3 weeks to develop a vitamin deficiency. To a point where it effects ur health.. I don't even think any of the fucks on this board are out longer then a week.

Inb4
>hurdur I was just out solo for 4 months
Stfu lying faggot.
>>
>>1027102
Just eat foil packs of tuna or chicken. Tuna contains a ton of potassium and chicken contains a goodly amount.

Alternatively, freeze dried peas or soybeans both contain a bunch and weigh basically nothing.
>>
>>1027102
arent white beans and banana good for K ?
muesli with banana is godlike and beans are a fine standard camp food.
>>
fennel seeds
>>
get some coconut water
>>
>>1027144
While true for anything less than 2 weeks vitamin deficiency is a non issue the fact that potassium is an electrolyte and not a vitamin renders your point moot.
>>
Spinach has an insane amount of potassium. A can of spinach has 60% dv.
>>
File: 178093208_XS[1].jpg (16KB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
178093208_XS[1].jpg
16KB, 400x267px
>>1027102
use this
>>
>>1027153
>tuna
i'd rather have cramps. but chicken's a good idea.
>freeze dried peas or soybeans
cool, i'l check them out next time i go shopping. thanks.

>>1027171
>>1027721
fresh bananas aren't convenient for backpacking, and i find banana chips to be too oily and sugary. has anyone tried dried banana? how's the texture?
>>
>>1027948
>has anyone tried dried banana? how's the texture?
Not hard like the chips, but still substantial.
>>
>>1027144
This. I used to drink a lot and get cramps. They sell potassium tablets. I take them a time or 2 a month.
>>
>>1027102
>Himalayan pink salt
>>
>>1027102
>caring about potassium while /out/
u
serious
?
>>
/spoiler/multivitamins/spoiler/
>>
File: 1409630808061.png (257KB, 516x526px) Image search: [Google]
1409630808061.png
257KB, 516x526px
>>
>>1027102
>potassium
Mix KCl with your NaCl, 50-50. Solved.
>>
File: fruitleather.jpg (93KB, 550x391px) Image search: [Google]
fruitleather.jpg
93KB, 550x391px
>>1027948
yeah fresh bananas are only good if you are in a country of origin.
but pic related is god like. buy them cheap when they are nice and ripe and a few % off in the store . never had storage issue in a sealed plastic box. but never stored them longer then 1 month.
>>
>>1027948
>>1027964
>has anyone tried dried banana? how's the texture?

The banana chips I get are the same as those in trail mix. They are the hardest thing in the trail mix besides almonds and they snap and crunch when eaten. I once bought them by the bag. They are basically like candy.

http://healthyeating.sfgate.com/dehydrating-destroy-potassium-bananas-10757.html

>A 100-gram serving of banana chips contains 536 milligrams of potassium compared to the 358 milligrams in 100 grams of raw banana.
>>
i bought some dried banana yesterday. texture's weird, flavor's strong, not sure i like it, but i have 9 days to get used to it. going to check out the potassium content of dried peas today.
>>
>>1027102
I came back from a couple weeks /out/ and kept getting odd sensations in my heart. I had an ultrasound and ECG done and it turned out I was lacking in potassium. Not to the point of being severely Hypokalemic though.
>>
File: plantain chips.jpg (51KB, 356x500px) Image search: [Google]
plantain chips.jpg
51KB, 356x500px
>>1030144
couldn't find any dried peas, but i got a bag of inka plantain chips. they're not greasy or oily like regular banana chips, but holy fuck they're bland. kinds like slightly sweet, slightly stale, low salt potato chips.

>>1030459
damn, that's scary. glad you got checked out and are okay. how would you describe the odd sensations? and did they tell you want your heart was physically doing that was causing them?
>>
Dried apricots have way more K than dried bananas, by mass.
>>
>>1030498
i know dried apricots are king, reread my op. but i'm looking for some variety.
>>
>>1027102
i cup of cooked lima beans = 1G potassium
>>
>>1030486
>open bag
>pour in bit of cinnamon, nutmeg, w/e
>close bag
>shake shake shake
>consume
>>
>>1030529
damn, son, that's genius.
>>
>>1030533
I do it a lot when I make dried apple chips and other such things.

Seriously, spend $100 on a dehydrator. It may be expensive at first but if you prep and are out a lot it quickly saves a lot of money. Bags of dried fruits can go upwards of six, seven bucks here in AR, whereas for the same amount I can buy 20 apples and make five bags of dried chips. Then I just put them in a ziploc and do the same shit.
>>
>>1030540
>dehydrator
i've been meaning to for years, but it's one of those things that i always remember i want when i'm in the car or something, but never when i'm at target or someplace i can actually buy one. we had one when i was a kid, and it was fucking great.
>>
>>1030555
nice trips
>check'd

also go to amazon or something, youll never find a decent deal at wally mart or mass shooting target
>>
>>1028049
Yeah, bring this guy along.
>>
File: DSCN3283a.jpg (955KB, 2052x1536px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3283a.jpg
955KB, 2052x1536px
>>1030540
>>1030555
I have a $200 one (you can get it cheaper on ebay from the same company.)

$199+free shipping (I paid $260 years and years ago)
https://www.yescomusa.com/collections/food-dehydrator/products/10-tray-stainless-steel-commercial-food-dehydrator-1200w

$178.94+free shipping
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Commercial-10-Tray-Stainless-Steel-Food-Dehydrator-Fruit-Meat-Jerky-Dryer-Blower-/391121875048?hash=item5b10ae3068

It has been amazing. I use it for veggies from my farm harvesting. you can even dehydrate unconventional things like beef stew, fully prepared pasta meals, etc. Just make sure it has 10% moisture or less. Bag it/jar it/vacuum seal it and rehydrate/cook/eat "raw" later on the trail. See a great sale on fruit or something, buy in bulk and dehydrate it. Get a food business license then get bulk stuff directly from local warehouses for ultra cheap.

>reposted pic
>>
Buy low sodium salt replacement. There, you have high density potassium chloride ready to go. For rehydration drink, I used sodium, potassium chlorides and sugar.
>>
>>1030558
>>1031237
i think i'll buy a cheapy to have until i know i'm actually going to use it regularly and i get annoyed at how little i can dry and how long it takes with a bargain one.

i also finally found peas. they're good, but drier than fucking sand. i think i'd have to drink so much water with them i'd just piss out all the potassium i gained.
>>
>>1030486
fuq off, inka is great food and cheap. Buy a multivitamin anyways you catsack
>>
>>1030533
Try some salt and garlic powder it's pretty good mixed in some plantain chips
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.