[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the appeal of knives with a very tall profile? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: 002-8.jpg (71KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
002-8.jpg
71KB, 1024x768px
What's the appeal of knives with a very tall profile? I don't think I've ever been hindered by having a slim scandi style blade and it's much better for carving.

>inb4 batonny chop-chop
>>
That's literally it though, a stronger heavier blade is more effective at chopping
>>
>>1026838
Op on mobile. But what about bk2 or thinks like boker folders come to mind. Is it just for meme value?
>>
>>1027531
My dad got me a bk2 for an engagement present a while ago. It's a pretty sweet knife in terms of it being just a huge chunk of steel, but that's about it. It has average quality steel, and holds an ok edge. It does chop and such very well, but it's so heavy you might as well just carry a small hatchet.

Not meme tier in my opinion, but not a knife that I would take hiking or camping all the time.
>>
>>1026829
There are knives, heavy knives and memes. Heavy knives are just knives that are slightly larger than knives.
Knives are for light use that won't fuck them over like carving, skinning, cutting string, etc. Heavy knives are for whatever. Baton, cut, slice, dig, prod at things, stuff you would be worried about screwing over your main knife.
Knives are pen knives, SAK, multitools, Moras, basically anything 6" or under that isn't a thick ass blade.
Heavy blades are usually in the 4-6.5" range. Imagine a Kabar short. Knives that aren't autistically big but are too big for small tasks likr skinning or whittling.
Memes are anything bigger than a heavy knife except for select usages. Kabar and Bowie fags gtfo.
>>
Better for butchering, cooking, and general camp shit.
>>
File: Skrama.jpg (49KB, 479x736px) Image search: [Google]
Skrama.jpg
49KB, 479x736px
>>1027588
>Kabar and Bowie fags gtfo.
>mfw
>>
File: 1491856355273.webm (603KB, 750x420px) Image search: [Google]
1491856355273.webm
603KB, 750x420px
>>1027710
>mfw someone hiking with that shit on their backpacks.
>>
File: meth oberdose xDDDDD.png (569KB, 1280x2090px) Image search: [Google]
meth oberdose xDDDDD.png
569KB, 1280x2090px
>>1027715
Terävä makes good stuff. Fite me.
>>
>>1027588
>Bowie Knive
>Seax
>Khukri
>Golok
>Parang
>Leuku
>Gertel
Do go on and tell literally ever culture ever that they used memes.
>>
>>1026829
What about for defense?

I think I'd rather have more blade to work with if a coyote or even a bear decided to attack.
>>
File: BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg (208KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.jpg
208KB, 1000x1000px
>>1027819
>Bowie
For fighting
>Seax
Mostly for fighting
>Khukri
Took the place of hatchet. Not knife.
>Golok
>Parang
>Leuku
Took the place of machete. Not knife.
>Gertel
Specifically for clearing brush.
You also forgot to mention that all these cultures also had small knives for exactly what >>1027588 is talking about.
>America: Kephart
>Nordic countries: Mora style utility knives
>Nepal: Karda. Comes with Khukri.
>Philippines: Traditional Karambit. Not the tacticool crap.
>The parang actually seems to be the only original knife design from it's native area. Touche.
>Finland: Puukko
>Switzerland: Mora style utility knives
Not to say that larger blades aren't useful. They just have specific purposes, so as such, other tools are needed for other jobs.
>>
>>1027789
Not criticizing its quality, I have read good things but its size doesn't fit backpacking.

Maybe for camping and bushmeme or survivememe.
>>
>>1027830
>>1027830
There seems to be a misunderstanding here.
>Memes are anything bigger than a heavy knife in the 4-6.5" range
I understood that anon thought they didn't have a purpose, which they obviously do. I'm not implying that they ever replaced small knives. But they did at times replace what he calls "heavy knives". (I recall this SAS guy suggesting a kukri and a swiss army knive as tool combination...)
>>
>>1027845
Ah, I see where you're coming from now. I assumed that anon was looking at all this from a backpacking perspective where more than one knife would end up being kinda redundant, so a smaller knife would probably be your best bet. I totally agree that larger knives are extremely useful in the right applications.
>>
>>1027715
I have a molle sheath that I put on the side of my backpack and I've never thought it added too much weight.
>>
>>1027830
>Bowie
>For fighting
>Seax
>Mostly for fighting

Wrong. Both were camp knives first and foremost.

What is even your point anyway?
You keep moving goalposts.
>>
>>1029306

The early bowies were probably more for utility tasks (mostly enlarged kitchen slicers in profile), but they did eventually add the guard for stabbing and blocking. General purpose then.
>>
>>1029306
Did I move goal posts? Sorry, friend. Anyways, the bowie knife as we know it today is a fighting knife. The main thing that tends to confuse people was that there is no definitive way to tell what is and isn't a bowie, being as Jim Bowie commissioned several knives over the years. Unfortunately, he named them all after himself, so there's a super wide range of knives that are technically bowies. The first one was basically a common butchers' knife, but the later ones were practically small swords. As for the seax, that's literally just the Saxon word for "knife" That isn't to say that seax's were ONLY for fighting, but it was multi function at best. Most of the larger seax's were designed to be a weapon that could be used as a tool if needed, not vice versa.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seax
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowie_knife
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.