[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a question about innawoods gear. Im building my first bag,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 11

File: 0527171619.jpg (2MB, 3264x1840px) Image search: [Google]
0527171619.jpg
2MB, 3264x1840px
I got a question about innawoods gear. Im building my first bag, and its still inconplete but I wanna hear some feed back.
What I got, excluding bag
>plastic tarp big enough to cover one small shelter or use for 2-3 people as a ground pad
>sleeping bag for cold weather that can double as a pad because its fluffy (comes with stuff sack)
>mess kit
>first aid kit
>crowbat
>hatchet
>small shovel
>flashlight
>32oz water bottle and filter straw
>4 glowsticks
>roll of duct tape
>4 bandanas
>military surplus helmet (you never know)
What I plan to get
>lighter, matches, and flint/steel
>canned (or freezedried) food for 2-3 days
>paracord (at least 100ft.)
>2 hunting knives (1 as a backup)
>gasmask
>extra batteries

I feel like im missing some things between the two lists. Pic related is my bag.
>>
File: 9mjci.jpg (89KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
9mjci.jpg
89KB, 576x768px
>all dat bait
shitstorm incoming
>>
hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

thanks for a moments joy, because that set up is total and utter pish.
>>
>>1024719
Its my first time, tell me why?
>>
File: FEENGERS.jpg (563KB, 872x1018px) Image search: [Google]
FEENGERS.jpg
563KB, 872x1018px
>>1024700
PRIVYET, S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
No, but seriously, things you don't need or need to replace:
Get rid of crowbar
Replace shovel with e-tool
Get rid of glow sticks. You already have a flashlight.
Get rid of military helmet.

Things you shouldn't get:
Canned food. Water is heavy
2 Hunting knives. You only need 1 as long as you make sure not to lose it.
Gasmask. You're not in Syria, so being gassed isn't gonna be an issue.

Things you should get:
Ground pad. Unless your sleeping bag is 2" thick with your body weight pressing on it, this is vital.
Compass. Not necessary, but good to have just in case.
Water filtration tablets and/or lifestraw. Water is priority #1.
Alcohol stove. Again, not necessary, but very nice to have. I recommend Trangia because anything alcohol based will work as fuel.
Bolt. You know why you need this.
>>
I'll bite. What conditions will you be /out/ in?
Why gasmask and military helmet? Sounds like apocalypse prepping
>>
>>1024736
> don't drink canned food, water is heavy
> Water is #1 priority

You don't want him to bring water at all? What about his >32oz water bottle and filter straw
>>
>>1024737
Helmet because I have a bad habit of making people want to shoot me, gasmask because I have it for free (hand me down) and it cant hurt. This is an all purpose "when shit hits the fan, run innawoods" bag. Im gonna take care to avoid extreme temperatures, and ill have maybe one other person with me. I live in north-east, in NY.
>>
>>1024740
I remember reading that 32oz is good size. Its plastic however, but my mess kit is metal and can be folded into a deepish pan, so I can boil water.
>>
>>1024736
Why replace with etool? Seems tacticool to me, moving parts can fail and you can replace woodent handles, also arent backups important?
>>
File: Diggy diggy.jpg (34KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
Diggy diggy.jpg
34KB, 650x650px
>>1024740
Canned food is a pretty bad way of carrying water considering once it's open, it's open for good, so you need to consume everything inside all at once. It's also consumes more space and weighs more than packable food of equal caloric value.

>>1024746
E-tool doesn't necessarily mean folding shovel. Just something more adapted to being packed around than a sawed off garden shovel. Since you're going for the military vibe, you could get a soldiers' shovel.
>>
>>1024736
He needs 2 hunting knives, one for hunting and one for batoning.
>>
You have no idea how heavy that will be. Ditch the shovel, probably the hatchet, the gasmask (?), and you probably have an elaborate mess kit you should cut.

Seriously this is way too much for backpacking
>>
>>1024750
That still sounds like preference to me, why should I go out and buy it if I already have a shovel that can dig.
>>
>>1024756
Also crowbar and helmet
>>
>>1024750
Sure, permanently open containers and the weight from the cans is a good point. Looks like OP wants to have this bag laying around for a while, though.
>>1024741
Now assuming OP wants to pack this bag and stow it away in case of emergency for a long time. Are there any comparable foods of equal caloric value in terms of expiration dates? Or would cans win because of time limit before use.
>>
>>1024758
Hey, if wanna use up space and weight, go ahead. You asked for advice and that's what I gave you.
>>
>>1024764
Im just asking why its better?
>>
>>1024762
Doing a little extra research I found flour and beef jerky are both good (assuming resealable bags)
>>
>>1024770
Yeah I was thinking dehydrated meats and greens would probably last a while. Also grains and seeds such as rice, oats and flour. Maybe even some nuts if they don't rot over time.
>>
>>1024774
My concern is something like flour or rice opening up inside my bag
>>
>>1024768
Ah, I see. The general rule with backpacking is that if you can save weight and space, do. A full sized shovel with the handle sawed off would be better for doing big digging, but the most you're really gonna need out there is digging holes to poop in and other small stuff. It's like how you have a hatchet instead of a full sized felling axe.
>>
>>1024777
Checkd
Actually it was that size I just sawed the plastic handle off so I could get it through the loop.
>>
>>1024779
Huh, looks exactly like a full sized shovel head. Either way, it largely depends on what you personally find useful. If what you have now works good, go ahead.
>>
Yo BoB Bro! Bro!

Get a multitool with a wrench cutter! Also, since youre nogunz, get some firecrackers in your equip.
>>
File: IMG_1283.png (241KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1283.png
241KB, 512x512px
Bring another helmet, 2 is 1 and 1 is none
>>
>>1024783
Im still assembling, and this thread definately helped. Im probably gonna test it out on a camping trip with a friend or two soon.
>>
>>1024700
Do you know if your mask actually works? I'm a bit of a stickler when it comes to people making shtf bags with Russian and Israeli gas masks saying they're ready for anything.
Post pics.
>>
File: WOAH NELLY.jpg (85KB, 680x827px) Image search: [Google]
WOAH NELLY.jpg
85KB, 680x827px
>>1025660
Make soup in your helmet.
>>
>>1025994
Mil surplus gasmasks from Russia/Soviets/East Germany can turn you lugns to shit, fun like inhaling asbestos is fun.
>>
>>1025994
My bag is still incomplete
My gasmask in particular is coming from a buddy of mine in the NYPD, he said he thought there was an extra one nobody needed. Im waiting to see if that pans out before I spend money. If I get it, I hope it works. Id shiver to think our boys in blue have shit malfunctioning gear.
>>
> i want to bring a helmet with me for a SHTF situation because people tend to want to shoot me xD

Anon, stop roleplaying. A helmet isn't going to help you if you're getting shot at. Anyone who knows what the fuck they're doing will shoot center mass, and I'm fairly sure your trash helmet won't stop a fucking 5.56 round at 50 meters.

You want to look military - join the military, plain and simple.
>>
File: WOOOAAAH NELLY.jpg (101KB, 680x827px) Image search: [Google]
WOOOAAAH NELLY.jpg
101KB, 680x827px
>>1026731
>A helmet isn't going to help you
BUT HE COULD MAKE SOUP IN IT.
>>
>>1027246
I could also boil water in it, it has a greater volume than my mess kit and its made of steel
>>
File: IMG_1290.jpg (34KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1290.jpg
34KB, 480x360px
>>1027248
You're better off getting a pot and using it as a helmet rather than vice versa
>>
File: wombbroom.jpg (18KB, 260x387px) Image search: [Google]
wombbroom.jpg
18KB, 260x387px
>>1027246
>>1027248
>>1027259
Pot helmet worked for this asshole.
>>
>>1027246
>When World War I began in August 1914, no soldiers in any army wore helmets, since such headgear had disappeared from battlefields at the end of the Middle Ages. Thus when French infantrymen (nicknamed “poilus”) entered the incredibly lethal, shell- swept battlefields of World War I, only wool kepis (mil- itary caps) covered their heads. (See Great Warriors, p. 16.) Then one day in the Western Front trenches early in the war, an enterprising French soldier removed his kepi and placed his metal soup bowl on his head to gain some protection against bursting artillery shells, thereby saving his life during a German bombardment. French officers witnessing this innovation reported it to higher command, and France’s military officials were so impressed by the idea that they immediately adopted it. They rushed to develop the first modern combat helmet and soon issued to all French army soldiers their lifesaving creation, the Model 1915 “Adrian” steel helmet. Thanks solely to the French soldier and his soup bowl, by 1916 all of the war’s major powers began using steel helmets.
>>
>>1027293
It all makes sense now. It's the circle of life! Ashes to ashes, bowls to helmets to bowls again.
>>
File: 200px-Louis_Barthas_IMG.jpg (24KB, 200x279px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Louis_Barthas_IMG.jpg
24KB, 200x279px
>>1027293
Poilus was a term for low-wealth soldiers like farmers. It literally translates to "Hairy One" in reference to their often bushy moustaches. It is not a general term for all infantry.

How incorrect is the rest of this paragraph?
>>
>>1027596
(im the anon who posted it)
I think the whole story is fake to be honest, but iv heard it several times from several sources. Kind of like the story about a Jap slicing a machine gun barrel with a katakana in WW2.

Still I think it's a fun story worth repeating.
>>
>>1026270
>Mil surplus gasmasks from Russia/Soviets/East Germany can turn you lugns to shit, fun like inhaling asbestos is fun.
Stop spreading this bullshit

The only risk is if the filters are damaged
Most newer filters (1970s or 80s, I forget) don't have asbestos in them anyway
>>
>>1024720

>helmet
why?

>entrenching tool
why? if it's for shitting just use a stick to break up the ground, or put a couple of rocks over, or pack a baggie to carry your shit out

>crowbat
why?

>glowsticks
why?

>gasmask
why?

>two hunting knives
why two?

>four bandanas
why four?

>duct tape
why a full roll?

that's why, motherfucker. you're going inna for hiking or battling skinwalkers?

I would prioritise like this:

SHELTER-
your tarp
plus maybe a head bug net
Personally i'd pack a poncho too that you can use as a groundsheet or second tarp as necessary, especially as youve not mentioned waterproofs or anything.

FIRE-
your 3 methods of firelighting
plus maybe some esbit cubes / meths that you can use for a stove (alcohol stoves are super cheap and easy to make) and can also double as a firestarter

WATER-
Buy a filter. Drinksafe systems is what I use, theres a mini filter by Sawyers thats super popular

INSULATION-
your sleeping bag
add longjohns and a puffy jacket

TOOLS-
Axe/hatchet
knife/pocket knife
torch / spare torch or batteries
maybe a sharpening stone like a DC4 or CC4

Basically you're carrying a load of shit you don't need and missing a load of shit you DO need.
>>
>>1027688
also

>double as a pad because it's fluffy

yeah it doesn't work that way moron. Go get a 10 dollar CCF pad from walmart, it weighs nothing and it'll actually keep you warm(ish)
>>
File: 222.png (34KB, 250x197px) Image search: [Google]
222.png
34KB, 250x197px
>>1027663
Okay, if you're interested in the development and role of helmets in WW1 then check out 'The Great War' on youtube, the have a special episode about it.

The tl;dr is that each nations helms trace back to the dark ages in regards to design and relative purpose, pic related (kettle-hat)
>>
>>1024700
Undead Thread
>>
>>1024762
you want those kind of high calorie bars that stay good 10-20 years. Mostly they are just flour, tons of oils and sugar but it's high calorie and keeps you alive. In my pack I keep 10 days worth of ration bars, so I have enough energy to get out far and still have some food for when you need to hunt/scavenge for more food.
I also carry a gas mask, because you never know and because of bomb fallout
>>
>>1024741
>>>1024737
>Helmet because I have a bad habit of making people want to shoot me, gasmask because I have it for free (hand me down) and it cant hurt.
Who the fuck gives birth to those people.
>>
>>1024741
The helmet won't do much against bullets. They're used to protect the head from shrapnel and other debris, so unless you're expecting to face artillery or grenades, I would ditch the helmet.
>>
>>1024700
>plastic tarp big enough to cover one small shelter or use for 2-3 people as a ground pad
So, ground sheet OR roof? Why? And if you travel in group, why not a tent, it become as light as the hammock but have a much better protection and comfort.

You need 2L of water per day. Don't save on that.

All of the folowing have 0 (zero) use in the wood:
>4 glowsticks
>roll of duct tape
>4 bandanas
> matches, and flint/steel
>paracord (at least 100ft.)
>2 hunting knives (1 as a backup)
>gasmask
>extra batteries

Basically:
Water.
Food.
Warm.
Dry.

Then add:
Orientation
Spare clothes
Comfort/hygiene, include toilet paper
First aid kit against blisters, small injuries and ticks

Then add the fun.
>>
>>1024700
At first the helmet made me laugh, but then I forgot how scared everyone is here
There are so many spergs here pretending to pack all kinds of heat into the woods, when the biggest risk is falling
If you swapped out the military surplus helmet with a climbing helmet, you would actually be playing the odds
>>
>>1024741
listen son, you post a thread asking for advice, and then you ignore it with this autistic shit. take whatever you want camping, because you're obviously too thick to take on board what we're saying.

tl;dr OP is a sperglord to the ninth degree
>>
>>1031054
>>4 bandanas
>> matches, and flint/steel
>>paracord (at least 100ft.)
>>2 hunting knives (1 as a backup)
>>4 glowsticks

Nah bullshit. I carry that. Always.
>>
>>1029962
You're a faggot who's just assblasted that you got called out in your thread so you bumped this one. Go back and be petty on reddit, nigger
>>
so many 2week2pack faggots itt
>>
Me and a couple friends were talking about going on a camping trip to celebrate graduation. I've already got an Alice pack, canteen + cup and some glow sticks (which from the sound of it I should get rid of). I was thinking about getting a German mess kit too. What else should I get?
>>
>>1035380

>>1036135
>>
>>1036431
Dangit, linked you to the bottom.

>>1035205
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.