[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got pic related on sale today from Dick's for 80 bucks.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 17

Got pic related on sale today from Dick's for 80 bucks. Did I do good?
>>
>>1024365
meh. salomons are far better but are pricer
>>
>>1024365
Gortex is a better option, but I love mine.
>>
>>1024387
Came here to post this. Just did 50 miles in brand new unbroken salomons and my feet feel great.
>>
You'll use them casually and only torture them once or twice a year, so sure.
>>
>>1024668
Goretex is awesome but not necessary in some environments or seasons
>>
File: goretex.jpg (70KB, 655x470px) Image search: [Google]
goretex.jpg
70KB, 655x470px
>>1024668
>>
should have got trail runners
>>
>>1024714
Ah, my bad. Mine are a lighter color.
>>
File: mindbenders 2.5 years.jpg (529KB, 2163x528px) Image search: [Google]
mindbenders 2.5 years.jpg
529KB, 2163x528px
>>1024725
i love my trailrunners, but their appropriateness is condition dependent. sierra got so much damn snow this year i finally had to break down and buy some boots.
>>
Merrell employee here.

Can confirm that those shoes are really comfy and very well equipped for most casual to moderate outdoors trail activities.

Might want something a little more technical if you're doing some crazy stuff, but if you are then you don't need my advice!
>>
>>1024691
Salomons the gold standard? I've had 2 pairs and really liked them.....
>>
Merrell is the only brand that makes a true wide that can fit my 4E+ feet. Yeah, there are better options but when you can't fit into them it's pointless.
>>
>>1025309
Asolo makes great shoes too.
>>
You did great anon.

Yes there are better boots and shoes, but not many that are versatile as the most.

I've used mine everywhere. They're good in summer, and even in light show. While trail runners are great, my moabs honestly feel closer to athletic shoes than boots. They're really comfy, and not "boot feeling" at all.
>>
>>1025309
I can only speak from my experience but, yes, they're perfect boots.
>>
i have those

i really like them
>>
>>1025309
Hell no. Got a pair of Salomons last fall and while they're very comfortable, they're already leaking and now the sole is coming off in four places.

My free replacements are waiting on my front porch, but I don't have high hopes. I think they've switched production plants or had some problems with QC. I still love their skis and ski boots, but the hiking boots were embarrassingly poor.
>>
Those boots are heaven
>>
>>1024365
looks nice, I have the hiking shoe version.

what benefit is the boot for casual hiking / light backpacking?
>>
>>1024365
OP is shill. And this is your daily reminder that Dicks is not only a name, it's an attitude.
>>
>>1025340
Found the fatty
>>
File: t_geeps.png (12KB, 261x195px) Image search: [Google]
t_geeps.png
12KB, 261x195px
>>1025987
>>
File: 2770674-p-4x.jpg (458KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
2770674-p-4x.jpg
458KB, 1920x1440px
You did good, OP. I prefer the full leather Moab Rover shoes by Merrell. Mine have lasted me 2+ years, only issue I've had is that the stitching has worn out, but luckily there's this Yugoslavian cobbler in my town who fixes shoes perfectly for next to nothing compared to the cost of replacements. Apparently he even re-soles shoes, and is a factory-authorized sole-replacer for Vibram. Yeah apparently that's a thing. I won't be buying new hikers for a while
>>
>>1025866
No benefit other than the extra height of boot can help from stuff getting in your shoe. You can just wear gaiters of it is a problem.

Some will say there is more ankle support, but with a short boot, there there isn't a ton of ankle support anyways.

Mostly it's personal preference. I kind of like a boot when unless it's summer, then a shoe works because it keeps my feet a little cooler.
>>
>>1026024
Just be aware that the EVA midsole will break down. If most of your walking is on grass or dirt, probably before you wear out a Vibram sole.
>>
>>1025340
iktfb
and i'm just a 3e and it's bad. it must really suck for you. i just received a pair of vasque boots a half size up and wide (only 2e, though) and they're still too narrow in the toebox. everything else about them is perfect though. i'm debating if i can get them to stretch enough in the next two weeks to commit to them (leather says yes, goretex says no), or if i should return them and get something else.
>>
File: IMG_0411.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0411.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
I bought these from gander mountains closing sale. First pair of hiking boots. Did I do good or screw the pooch?
>>
>>1028032
can't speak for that style specifically, but i own 4 pairs of vasques (mindbenders x2, grand traverse, skywalk) so they're doing enough to keep me coming back.
>>
Guys here is an unrelated side question. I am facing a trail with potentially knee deep mud. I am ok with muddy trails but I don't really want my shoes in that much of shit, are there any other options? I'm considering military boots but carrying them just for that one section seems like a waste of weight and space. Maybe those one piece rubber boots? Any ideas?
>>
Bought a pair of proper hiking boots and they feel no more comfortable than a pair of boots I have with a leather sole that I have also hiked in.
>>
>>1028480
gaiters
>>
>>1028730
yeah ive gone through 5 pairs of hiking boots/trail runners, and every single pair was uncomfortable and fucking narrow, like they were all made for manlet feet
>>
File: Bean-Boots-Gear-Patrol-SIDEBAR.jpg (41KB, 616x312px) Image search: [Google]
Bean-Boots-Gear-Patrol-SIDEBAR.jpg
41KB, 616x312px
Anyone been hiking in Bean Boots/duck boots?
>>
>>1026134

oh yeah that's already worn through at the toes... smell is starting to repel my own dogs so i'll probably be replacing those soonish
>>
Does anyone else get a numbing pain on the outer side of their feet in boots? My salomons do it to my left foot.
>>
>>1028796
They looks like boots sluts wore in old western movies
>>
>>1029225

this kind of crap always happens to me when I'm in the process of breaking-in some new boots or hiking shoes... it's not always pain in the same location but it happens just about every time for the first week or so... if your shoes aren't new and still do this to you, maybe think about some custom footbeds or something
>>
>>1024725
There's a pair of Salomon trail runners on sale 50% off, are they worth it?
>>
File: YETI-GAITOR.jpg (11KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
YETI-GAITOR.jpg
11KB, 350x350px
>>1028480
Berghaus gaiters, pic related.

>>1028796
They're really not hiking boots and have poor traction.

>>1029229
No they don't.
>>
>>1029267
Make sure they fit. Salomon has a European narrow fit. If you can, walk around with them in the store for a while to make sure you like them.
>>
>>1029276
I've hiked in leather soles and flip flops, I think I'll be fine
>>
File: IMG_0424.jpg (138KB, 470x500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0424.jpg
138KB, 470x500px
i thought "military" boots were the go-to travelling gear. what's the best agreed upon boots?
>>
>>1029445
Military issue boots suck, So says /k/
>>
>>1029445
>>1029456
It's hit or miss. I've seen dudes pour blood out of their boots after a mile ruck, but personally I've put years and miles on my boots and they're great after just getting like 5$ worth of inserts. There are a couple other guys who say the same, so I guess the deciding factor is you.

>>1029334
What American shoe are they closest to?
>>
File: $_58.jpg (31KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
31KB, 640x360px
>>1029445
No serious hiker wears these

In fact, the trend is towards trail runners for hiking.
>>
>>1029456

They're meant to give you stability when carrying a very heavy load. Add to that high enough and bloused to keep out insects, dirt, and possibility water.
>>
>>1026350

I'm the same poster. Stretching the boot is never a good idea. The widest part of your foot will basically be hanging off the sole. I have 4E feet and the moab fit great with even some room to spare. I also have a pair of Danner Acadias in 4E when I need a taller boot.
>>
>>1026024
I bought the regular moabs on Amazon for $57 haven't taken them /out/ I've been studying for the MCAT but I'm planning on taking them and the pooch for an overnight
>>
File: lowa-combat.jpg (104KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
lowa-combat.jpg
104KB, 800x800px
>>1029445
Depends on what your definition of military is.
Traditional style issued boots (ie almost every combat boot during the cold war and the 90s) generally are not recommended for hiking as they weren't made with hiking in mind and have to be relatively cheap to make so corners have to be cut. This means the durability of the boots got priority and comfort took a backseat.
Since the end of the cold war a shift in philosophy is occuring however, combat boots are becoming more like tall hiking boots and less like the derby shoes with high shafts of old. This means they are getting things like different designs, more padding and better shock absorbing soles (EVA or PU midsoles instead of just a chunk of rubber). A good example of this is the boot the German Bundeswehr currently uses.

For commercial military boots this shift already occured in the 20th century. Boots like the Lowa Combat Boot (pic related) are essentially leather hiking boots with higher shafts. They have all the luxuries good hiking boots have like PU midsoles, Vibram outsoles and Goretex lining. This means they usually come at quite a price though.
>>
>>1028730
Take out the original insoles and replace them with Dr. Scholls
>>
>>1029445
Most boots that central issue give you suck, including those bellvilles. But there are superb military boots out there, you just have to buy them yourself or be in a unit that issues you good stuff.
>>
>>1028032
what model are these?
>>
File: 2163085-p-4x.jpg (576KB, 1920x1440px) Image search: [Google]
2163085-p-4x.jpg
576KB, 1920x1440px
Why the fuck is it impossible to find these online in size 11? All I can find is the brown ones.
>>
>>1029229
this is fucking hilarious
>>
I'd rather have non-waterproof boots desu
>>
>>1031636
color's been discontinued and the better looking color in a common size has already been bought out?
>>
Anybody ever wear Oboz? The only pair of actual hiking boots I've had in the past 3 years was a pair of Oboz Sawtooth. They're a little ugly but I found them comfortable out of the box and the waterproofing lasted wearing them for about 6 months for 4-8 hours daily in all conditions.
>>
File: IMG_0742.jpg (320KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0742.jpg
320KB, 1500x1500px
>>1032576
Forgot pic
>>
File: phaserbound.jpg (91KB, 724x683px) Image search: [Google]
phaserbound.jpg
91KB, 724x683px
ordered a pair of these today. if they work what color laces should i get? all black is boring as shit.

>>1032576
i tried some one the other day. felt weird on the outer edge of the soles of my feet
>>
>>1032590
Hot pink oc
>>
File: mens-bridger-black-copy-1_1_1.jpg (63KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
mens-bridger-black-copy-1_1_1.jpg
63KB, 900x900px
>>1032577
I've had bridgers for 3 years for general use and they're still good, the most comfortable boot I've ever had even though they're one of the cheapest. Got a black pair for $130 a while back brand new off a Canadian site

>owned Hanwag, Lowas, Danners and Scarpa
>>
File: really fuckin yellow.jpg (85KB, 638x527px) Image search: [Google]
really fuckin yellow.jpg
85KB, 638x527px
>>1032595
nah, i already have a hot pink windbreaker, need a new color. maybe really fuckin yellow? i don't have anything that color yet.
>>
Once I find something that works exceptionally well for me, I tend to stock up on it. In this case, it's the Alico Tahoe boots.
>durable one piece leather construction
>stitched outsole
>doesn't look like moon boots
>no sweaty goretex
>tough as shit vibram sole

I've kept three pairs on rotation for the past six years. My first pair still holds up. So basically I have four pairs because I am an autist.

You'll find these things on the cheap on STP at around $125. That's cheap. Here's some advice on the boots, though:
>They are true to size, always pick your sneaker size to account for foot swelling
>These are Italian boots, which means they are made for skinny manlet Italian feet, opt for a wide when you can
>measure your clodhoppers on a Braddock device if you're not sure
>replace the craptastic laces with 550 paracord
>the stock insole is flimsy, replace it with a quality insole like Sof Sole Airs or Superfeet Blue/Green
>the leather needs to be treated with SnoSeal or Obenauf's for water resistance

bic related
>>
What manufacturers make boots/trail runners for asian manlets? I'm size 6.5
>>
>>1033169
Post boipussy and I'll tell you
>>
>>1024365
>not clubbing a seal and making your own seal skin boots
New fags these days.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.