[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did you guys get used to sleeping in the woods alone? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 182
Thread images: 15

File: jJYVccv.jpg (5MB, 5982x3988px) Image search: [Google]
jJYVccv.jpg
5MB, 5982x3988px
How did you guys get used to sleeping in the woods alone?

I would be afraid of someone or something sneaking up to me in my sleep.
>>
>>1022038
Hiked until I was too tired to care.
>>
>>1022038
If you're close enough to civilization to worry about anyone finding you, get further away.
>>
>>1022038
Alcohol. Not the safest idea but it worked.
>>
>>1022038
We've had this thread at least once a week since the /soc/ merge
Stop being a pussy
No body cares about you, loser
You aren't worth murdering
>>
File: CRW_0070.jpg (199KB, 953x715px) Image search: [Google]
CRW_0070.jpg
199KB, 953x715px
>>1022085
This. You don't afraid of anything and the whole thing is fun & games. Just don't get hurt.
>>
do all of your fires loud cooking and batonny chop chop etc at your fake campsite and then at night time retreat to your real tent that overlooks your fake one from good visual cover. The fake tent is pitched over a punji pit
>>
>>1022041
FPBP
>>
>>1022149
Where do you hide the real tent?
>>
>>1022038
I don't sleep. Too busy sneaking up on things in the dark.
>>
File: tumblr_mvm1srj5Yy1qjk9f6o1_500.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mvm1srj5Yy1qjk9f6o1_500.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
>>1022038

I wouldn't worry about it.
>>
Bring guns dogs and just incase... I always bring a fall guy... If some creep or nature creep is out there, let them have the fall guy
>>
>>1022333
Skinwalker pls go.
>>
File: tumblr_m5nop1soHW1rs9xp2o1_500.jpg (100KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m5nop1soHW1rs9xp2o1_500.jpg
100KB, 500x667px
>>1022398

No skinwalker friend It safe Is only cute deeeer
>>
>>1022413
Oh gee, that's a pretty cute deer. I guess I'll go and set up camp in the middle of the woods and not bring any guns and not make a campfire. Thanks for clearing that up, friend.
>>
>>1022422
Campfires makes it easier for others to see you and harder for you to see them
>>
>>1022424
I thought skinwalkers were afraid of fire though?
>>
>>1022038
It's ok anon, it's just me watching you while you sleep.
>>
>>1022425
Yeah, till ya stop tending it and go to sleep.
>>
File: SUOANIC.png (533KB, 1164x834px) Image search: [Google]
SUOANIC.png
533KB, 1164x834px
>>1022427
>Implying I sleep
>>
Grow a pair of balls and go to sleep. Who knows ya might just wake up with hair on you're chest. Or ya made ya bed under a widow-maker and ya won't be waking up at all.
>>
>>1022430
>Implying you don't.
>>
>>1022433
>Implying implications
>>
File: ZHQg6.jpg (51KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ZHQg6.jpg
51KB, 640x480px
>>1022422

Is good, friend. Forest so nice you never leave. Make many deer friends
>>
I carry a gun lel
>>
>>1022038
I've been camping since I was little, and solo camping since I was in high school, but I still have trouble getting to sleep sometimes after a long winter of not camping much at all. Usually, my issue has to do with comfort and the fact that when I'm at home, I typically fall asleep well past midnight, but when you're camping out, there is an advantage to being able to fall asleep by about 10:00 or 10:30 (and earlier in the winter).

>If the problem is nerves
-Try camping out with other people and then do the same trip a few days or a week later without them. When your mind starts wandering in the dark, just focus on your memory of what it felt like to fall asleep in that area with other people around you.
-Try planning a 2+ day trip and just don't worry about falling asleep the first night because the more tired you are by the end of the second day, the easier it will be to fall asleep. After you get that out of the way, subsequent nights will be much easier.
-Do a very long and tiring hike all day, continue hiking until it's dark, set up your tent, eat your food and just let your body do the work.

>If the problem is comfort
-Get a thicker/more comfortable sleeping pad and a proper pillow. Experiment with different gear at home until you find something that's actually comfortable.
-Try sleeping by a waterfall or bubbling stream to act as "white noise" to help your mind decompress. Caveat: lots of animals visit water sources through the night and early morning...
-Try sleeping drugs or supplements (might want to experiment with them at home first).

>If the problem is fear of being attacked by animals/hillbillies
-Bring a big gun and sleep with it very close to you.
-Bring your dog and sleep with it very close to you.
>>
>>1022616
Great advice, thanks a lot man! I appreciate it.
>>
A .44 magnum helps me sleep innawoods or innacity.
>>
>>1022692
I am a heavy sleeper.
>>
File: img9552881.jpg?w=840.jpg (108KB, 840x630px) Image search: [Google]
img9552881.jpg?w=840.jpg
108KB, 840x630px
https://peachpeak.wordpress.com/2016/05/24/first-blog-post/
>>
>>1022611
>when you see it...

please tell me this is shopped
>>
>2017
>not rigging your campsite with traps and noise making devices
>not putting up 3-4 tents to increase your odds and give you time while an assailant is searching for you
>>
>>1023007
I know that feel
>sleep with a gun under the pillow
>would sleep through an earthquake so it's useless
>>
>>1023457
Of course it is.
>>
>>1023465
Yea man, it sucks. I have slept through the alarm of my house going off, and once my Dad called the ambulance because my Mom took some foreign medication and felt bad.
I wish I wasn't such a heavy sleeper.
>>
File: STALKERgetsarrested.png (122KB, 1383x963px) Image search: [Google]
STALKERgetsarrested.png
122KB, 1383x963px
>>
>>1023457
>>
File: dog.jpg (95KB, 645x380px) Image search: [Google]
dog.jpg
95KB, 645x380px
>>1022038
Get a dog. They can smell skinwalkers up to half a mile.
>>
File: carnivorous deer.jpg (87KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
carnivorous deer.jpg
87KB, 650x400px
>>1022413
>>1022611
>>
>>1022312
Under a punji pit
>>
>>1023533
Deer are pretty dumb. Like small children, they'll chew on things just to see what they are. They've been known to eat birds, mice, turtle eggs, laundry, meat hung up to cure, and soap.
>>
>>1022038
I carry a gun and have been going innawoods alone since I was a little kid.

I'm more worried about getting bored on a hike than I am scared.
>>
>>1023021
This is essentially my nightmare whenever Im camping. I have such a hard time sleeping because of it.
>>
>>1023465
Dude me too. Feels bad man.
>>
>>1024346
What if you went slept in a hammock 8+ ft off the ground?
>>
>>1022336
I always freak out when my dog starts barking at nothing.
>>
>>1024375
Maybe. I usually am able to fall asleep faster in a hammock, especially if I put earplugs in. But every night the fear comes back. It really sucks.
>>
Usually too tired to care but then if I do get scared I just sincerely say fuck it and pass out
>>
I dig Punji pits and rig up can alarms. Then stay half awake clutching my G3 until morning
>>
Buy a pistol and train until you are proficient with it. Do the same thing for a sword/machete, and also take wrestling classes. There is nothing in this world that will make you feel more secure than martial knowledge.

Also as an aside: Last night I slept out underneath a Palo Verde tree using a tarp as a blanket. Woke up half-dazed to a coyote sniffing my leg, so I grunted loudly and kicked it away, then went back to sleep. Ya just get used to it, OP.
>>
>>1024429
I'll definitely try and get some skills.
>>
>>1024393
What alarms do you use?
>>
>>1023460
>3-4 tents
Now this I can get on board with. After going ultra-super-lightweight I have grams to spare. Time to start packing more tents.

>>1022038
You get used to it. Learn the sounds the common animals in your area make. So that when you are out you can label the noises. Round where I grew up there are muntjac which bark in a really eery way but now I like the sound. Was out in the mountains for a couple of days recently and had wild boar rooting around my tent, loved it, they make such funny sounds.
>>1022616
Has good advice.

I'd also add though that you shouldn't fight the fear, it can be a pretty awesome feeling when you are totally wired into your surroundings, picking up on every little detail. If you loose yourself in it the experience can be exciting.
>>
>>1022611
>be deer
>wandering woods for food
>hear weird noises around me
>im hungry so whatever
>find snack on ground
>still weird noises
>slowly bend down to eat snack
>BRIGHT LIGHT HOLY SHIT
>see degenerate in bushes behind me fapping furiously
>mfw
>>
>>1022425
That's a myth put out there by skinwalkers to make it easier to see you.
>>
>>1023007
It's a heavy sidearm.
>>
>>1026918
Won't be able to use it if I am not awake.
>>
>>1025539
>You get used to it. Learn the sounds the common animals in your area make. So that when you are out you can label the noises.
This is good advice, especially for when you leave your neck of the woods to go camping somewhere else. I lived in Arizona a few years before my brother came out to go on a hiking trip out there and I remember the first time he heard a raven's warbley/gobbley sort of noises that they make, he had no idea what he was hearing. Likewise, the first time I heard the squirrels that live in the Rocky Mountains, I just about had a heart attack. The squirrels in the Midwest where I grew up hardly made any noise, so it was jolting to hear an animal suddenly scream that loudly.

>I'd also add though that you shouldn't fight the fear, it can be a pretty awesome feeling when you are totally wired into your surroundings, picking up on every little detail. If you loose yourself in it the experience can be exciting.
You appear to contradict yourself here. There's nothing wrong with wiring into the surroundings as an exercise in meditation - take in everything while slowly dismissing each individual component as not worth worrying about - but eventually the goal should be to defuse your instinctive fears.
>>
>>1026986
>You appear to contradict yourself here. There's nothing wrong with wiring into the surroundings as an exercise in meditation - take in everything while slowly dismissing each individual component as not worth worrying about - but eventually the goal should be to defuse your instinctive fears.

Yeah it was a muddled thought based on a memory of the first time I really tried to experience the fear resulting from strange sounds without actually being scared. If that get what I mean. It was really fun dialling into the raised awareness and immediacy of it all. Since then I've been able to work on it and I suppose turn the fear into excitement. There is basically the same physical reaction but free from the emotional baggage of being scared. That being said something still frighten me!
>>
>>1022413
Just gonna point out though, this is just a deer shedding its velvet as they do every year after their antlers grow in (since they fall off after the mating season due to a drop in testosterone). It's pretty bloody, but not many people realize that this is totally normal, gruesome as it may look.
>>
>>1022330
This anon knows. Once you step into the dark and become one with it you do not fear it any longer.
>>
>>1022130
Fucking THIS

If you are too much of a pussy to sleep /out/doors then you might as well stay indoors.
>>
>>1022432
Or the hair you thought you grew on your chest turns out to be a bunch of spiders.
>>
>>1026915
That's a myth put by skinwalker double agents to trick people into not making fires
>>1023513
>>1023477
T. Skinwalker
>>
>>1022616
>>1022038
Honeslty what are the odds of being attacked by an animal or hillbillys alone in the woods at night?
>>
>>1027154
>Fucking THIS
>
>If you are too much of a pussy to sleep /out/doors then you might as well stay indoors.
I can't imagine the age of the person who wrote this to be anywhere over about 19. If you can't deal with the fact that there are people in the world who have different views than you, then you shouldn't be on the internet.
>>
>>1028846
People need to start learning that population statistics have limited applicability. What are the odds of your average Joe Schmo high school dropout getting accepted to Yale? Probably 0%. What are the odds of Chaim Goldberg, son of two successful lawyers, who went to a high quality private high school, being accepted to Yale? Probably pretty good.

It all depends on whose woods you go camping in and how enticing you and your campsite look to the potential hillbilly murderer/rapist. If you're an attractive young woman and you go camping in some state forest that is located very close to a town that happens to have a homeless problem, there's a much higher chance of drawing the attention of a psychopath than there is if you're a fit young man who is peak-bagging in the wilderness, 20 miles from the nearest forest dirt road and 65 miles from the nearest town.
>>
>>1023490
>privyet stalker
EVERY FUCKING TIME
>>
>>1029183
This.
>>
>>1022038

How do you walk around people all day without being afraid they'll stab you in the back?

Same fear.
>>
>>1032219
Not likely to happen, people don't commit crimes in front of 30 people.
>>
>>1029183
I do a lot of camping in grizzly/black bear/mountain lion territory, so I have visions of waking up with a warm snout in my face. I know it's not very likely but still.
>>
by just getting used to it. After the first dozen starts in the night of movement you just start to get used to it. Carry a heavy staff with bear spray and learn to control your imagination. Eventually you can relax and be wary at the same time
>>
Can`t, too many scorpions, snakes, spiders, ants, panthers and mountain lions that can literally fuck you up, plus boars and all sorts of other animals.
Also, I live in a farm, there`s nothing good to do in the woods besides hunting or fishing, and you can protect yourself pretty well in order to do so without trying to play savage and exposing yourself to some bullshit.
The whole exercise of being exposed is good, especially in the woods, people used to do that to break off individuals from their "social identity", usually worked, not for good reasons though, it was mostly applied by communists.
>>
>>1022038
Sleep next to a fire
>>
File: skinwalker.png (71KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
skinwalker.png
71KB, 1000x700px
>>1026986
>Animal noises
no amount of knowledge helps against fox screams. its like pure nightmare fuel. like a mix of a hurt child, women, and something beastly trying to lure you deeper into the darkness of the forest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Zir1UxVpxo

https://youtu.be/aodwqjvk-ak?t=50

lynx can get fucked too while more far rare and more feral not much better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=263n32btq-k
>>
>>1033351
>reeeeeeeeeeee
>>
To anyone who doesnt do this.

Heres a tip:

>bells on string all around your tent.
>>
>>1033351
No it's not scary you faggot.

>what is a fur farm for 1000

I've heard those screams all my life, while unpleasant and i don't like the fur industry, it's not scary.
>>
>>1033396
>what is a fur farm for 1000
I see you've never watched Jeopardy
>>
>>1033454
Fair enough, it's been a few years since i last saw it, but fox sounds are stillnot scary.
>>
>>1023515
But beware the unnatural predator of the common canine, the ATF.
>>
>>1022038
The only people that ever found me in the middle of buttfuck nowhere were two cops.
To this day I still don't know what they were doing there.
>>
>>1023021
>No, bear! Go away!
>not yelling racial slurs at bears to make them go away
>>
>>1022085
Has the opposite effect on me actually
>>
I saw a photo of a guy who was mauled to death by a bear. The bear had pulled the guy's pants down to his ankles and eaten his dick and thighs.
>>
>>1035126
Were they on ATVs?
>>
>>1022038
I sleep with a .357

Get a BFR in 45-70 for skinwalkers and you should be good.
>>
>>1035126

probably got a call from someone that saw an autist enter the woods.

or they were hiding a dead hobo
>>
>all these people suggesting to bring a dog
I'm actually curious, do you have to specifically train a dog to stick by your side unleashed? Or will instincts make him stick around his innawoods pal?
>>
>>1022132
>take shitty beer innawoods
>not weight-efficient and aesthetically pleasing whiskey
Go /in/ and stay /in/.
>>
>>1026918
4u
>>
File: Sohardcore.jpg (13KB, 281x202px) Image search: [Google]
Sohardcore.jpg
13KB, 281x202px
>>1038840
>>
>>1038590
>skinwalkers
>real
Ha.. ha.. ha..
>>
>>1024375
>Bear climbs tree
>Tears your hammock out of the tree and eats you
>>
>>1026986
>but eventually the goal should be to defuse your instinctive fears
Do not do that entirely. Our instincts as humans have had thousands of years to develop, it's best to listen to them.
Sometimes out of seemingly nowhere everything will feel wrong and your gut feeling lizard brain tells you to GTFO, and you better.
>>
>>1038590

No such thing as Skinwalkers.
>>
>>1039122
Defuse your impulses, but don't ignore your surroundings. You're able to observe the world and make rational decisions about what to do in it without being ruled by your emotions. You will need to be able to control your thoughts in order to recognize that a given impulse is irrational and can be ignored or treated only as a path of inquiry, rather than a spark for feeling fear. For example, seeing bear scat should cause you to be more observant and cautious (hopefully you already understood that you were in bear country and were already being observant). It shouldn't cause you to pack up everything, turn around, hike back to your car and go home, though.

>Sometimes out of seemingly nowhere everything will feel wrong and your gut feeling lizard brain tells you to GTFO, and you better.
I don't buy into this kind of folklore at all that people have some kind of sixth sense or that we're able to tell when we're being watched, even when we can't see anybody or any animal watching us. 100% bullshit, IMO, and this is called being ruled by your emotions.

It happens to be true that at any given time when you're in the woods, there will probably be animals nearby that just ran and hid as you approached and are watching you to see when you will leave. You may hear little rustling noises just beyond what you can see in the woods at any given time. That doesn't necessarily mean you're being stalked. Just that you are in the woods.
>>
>>1039234
Of course there is a balance, but sometimes your gut knows better than your head.
>I don't buy into this kind of folklore at all that people have some kind of sixth sense or that we're able to tell when we're being watched, even when we can't see anybody or any animal watching us. 100% bullshit, IMO, and this is called being ruled by your emotions.
I don't think that it is 100% folklore. We consciously perceive (as in we are actively aware) very little of our overall sensory input, but all of it is processed unconsciously. It's entirely possible to see something without being aware of seeing it. This applies to all other senses. It's not even sensing an animal either, but patterns of sensory input that imply predation, which most animals including us have an instinct for. I sense animals all the time but have only had my spidey sense tingle once and later found mountain lion tracks behind me.
>>
>>1038776
It depends on how it's raised. Here's what I've observed in various dogs over the years. Full disclosure, I don't have a dog.

>outside with no leash:
Already has all the freedom it wants, it will probably wander around and destroy nature and claim new territory, but it won't stray too far because it's smart enough to know you're its ticket home.
>outside on a leash or in a fence:
There's a good chance it will run to freedom the moment you unleash it, fucking ingrates.
>house nigga:
It's not going to leave too far from the tall food bringer because it's the canine equivalent of a basement dwelling autist.
>>
>>1038776
Dogs have been engineered to stick with people.
If your dog loves you and is loyal to you it won't leave you.
>>
>>1039132
Who are you even shilling for? Of course there are skinwalkers are you kidding
>>
if you can't sleep alone in the woods, bring other people with you. not rocket science.
>>
>>1041148
May work, but I don't know anyone that likes to camp, hike, or backpack.
>>
>>1023567
Audible kek
>>
>>1022432
>hair on you are chest
interesting...
>>
>>1022038
I always go in with the mindset that I'm the most dangerous motherfucker in the forest
>>
>>1022616
What if guns are illegal where I live and I don't like dogs so I don't have one?
>>
Walk into the middle of nowhere with miles of nothing but woodland around you and the sun setting and you will find you have no choice.
>>
>>1024378
He's not barking at nothing.
>>
>>1039280
>Full disclosure, I don't have a dog.
You don't say?
>>
>>1022041
Fpbp, solution to all my fears
>>
>>1022616
>sleeping drugs
yeah that seems like a good, long-term idea
>>
>>1023515
Dogs are nasty though. Rather own a skinwalker Tbh
>>
>>1046113
first week here?
>>
>>1046481
All I can say is that I know people who have done it at the start of a long trip and then weaned themselves off it by the end of the trip. And you don't have to get some prescription Jimi Hendrix killer. There are supplements which do the same thing, just with less potency.
>>
>>1046621
just take some tylenol pms
>>
>>1046629
How is that not a sleeping drug?
>>
>>1022038
go with people you weirdo
>>
>>1046129
That's actually a good mindset to have.
>>
>>1046764
Literally who? I don't know anybody that is into it.
>>
>>1022038
You're much more likely to be murdered in the city.
unless you're in tiger territory for some reason.
>>
>>1022038
Typically i wear myself out during the day, urinate around the perimeter of my campside, and block much of the access points around my tent with brush. I'll hear just about anything large before it reaches me, and whatever keeps coming after i shout at it i keep a pistol nearby.

Im more scared of needing to shit in the dark.
>>
>>1046291
>>
>keep foods away from your sleeping area
>have a large doggo
>knock yourself out with some Maker's Mark or other cheap whiskey
Most of the North America doesn't even have apex predators that are a real threat to humans, unless you're in grizzly or wolf territory. Mountain lions in my experience generally stay the fuck away from people, even alone. In fact, most predators in general stay away unless you're threatening their young or they're really desperate (usually when the deer population is reduced due to drought).
>>
>>1046958
To add to this, in the past 127 years, only 20 people have been killed by mountain lions in North America, many of them children. In fact you're more likely to be killed by bees than a mountain lion.
>>
>>1046484
Bacon hatin' skinwalker detected.
>>
>>1022132
I bet you left all those beer cans there when you left. degenerate
>>
>>1032940
>I have visions of waking up with a warm snout in my face
I know a guy who had that happen to him. IIRC, he involuntary headbutted the bear and it ran off. (Black bear, not grizz.).
>>
>>1022038
The only thing I worry about while /out/ is the weather. I have the dumb when trying to stay dry in the rain.
>>
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/14681/14681-h/14681-h.htm

"In a dangerous country there can be no comparison between the hazard of a tent and that of a bivouac. In the former a man's sleep is heavy; he cannot hear nearly so well; he can see nothing; his cattle may all decamp; while marauders know exactly where he is lying, and may make their plans accordingly. They may creep up unobserved and spear him through the canvas."

Bivvy, anon. Bound into the woods like a fucking rabbit.
>>
>>1033386
>Possum wanders past in the middle of the night
>Bells and pure panic fills the air

Yeah nah thanks.
>>
>>1046960
This is little comfort when you've actively taken the decision to be in the wilderness, where that statistic, while still small, is orders of magnitude greater because of the situation you have elected to be in.
>>
>>1051089
Agreed, i had a pissed off mountain lion roar at me at night a couple years back. When your innawoods, a mountain lion is keenly interested in you AND angry, you know damn well what small comfort these dumb ass stats are.

"Anything can happen in the mountains H"

Taylor 'K2'
>>
>>1049336
And animals.
>>
>>1043613

I'll camp with you but you, depends if you're a cute girl (boy) though
>>
>>1022079
This :
>If you're close enough to civilization to worry about anyone finding you, get further away.
Predators [human] live on the fringes of civilization - White-Van-Man won't usually go where there aren't many people ; he's a bottom-feeder.
Proper /out people are better.
>>
>>1038776
>instincts make him stick around his innawoods pal
My Doggo , Labrador/Staffy/Rotty , was the rider on the range / perimeter-scout : he would sit right outside the circle of light - just a black shadow in the darkness , and he would look outwards into the further dark , listening , glancing at the sky , smelling.
Then he would go for a stroll and appear from another direction to check-in , then ghost away again.
Now he was a dead-calm dog ; nothing 'fake' would set him off - No false alarms.
His bed was beside my tent [car camping] and he completely understood this was a temporary - and very interesting - new home.
Even when there were sheep to chase he wouldn't usually go more than 100metres [perhaps] from camp.
This won't work with one of those quivering, hair-trigger dogs.
>>
>>1022038
I never felt like I was sleeping in out.
>>
>>1046129
>>1046798
I tend to the be that way too - I know my abilities - I do things like hide my pack behind trees and do day-trips away from camp , plotting my walk-out time/clothing in-case someone steals my pack ; knowing my ability to get out. [car-keys etc go with me]
I know water sources by previous study of the map ;
I have the contours largely memorized ;
Watersheds and escape routes down creeks in my head ;
For three years in high-school my sport was orienteering ;
I have gone over ranges in the dark ;
I have left the trail onto disused fire-breaks at 8pm alone to find the lake to camp beside ;
I know my clothing system for sub-freezing works ;
I know how long I can keep going - hungry or hot of thirsty or cold ;
I know me and I know the bush.
>>
>>1049336
>stay dry
My recommendation is Poncho.
Lots of cover almost to your knees ;
Can put your pack on over the poncho ;
Room to move your arms and pull your hands under cover even with trek-poles ;
Good airflow to avoid sweat - you can wear just polar-fleece under the poncho not some silly hyped 'waterproof' overpriced jacket.
Layer recommendation : Poly shirt , Polar-fleece , wind-proof shirt like Microfibre [over the fleece] then poncho over the top : that is my below 10C rain set-up.
>>
File: ehhhh.png (15KB, 299x200px) Image search: [Google]
ehhhh.png
15KB, 299x200px
>>1022038
landmines always work
>>
>>1055004
True. Or maybe some shotgun shell traps?
>>
>>1055496
Get the guy from /k/ to make you some napalm shells
>>
I'm brazilian so I'm scared shitless of doing it here. Police doesn't give a shit, and god knows who might be in the woods
>>
That book about outdoor disaperances that gets posted in big foot threads documents torn up campsites and bodies inexplicably moved or vanished. People do kill other people in the wilderness, but I'd rather that then wake up to a grizzly nawing on my innards.
>>
>>1055784
bigfoot is no real
>>
>>1022038
shotgun or rifle.
>>
>>1055598
underrated comment
kek
>>
>>1048911
burred them actually, it would be bad to just litter like that otherwise.
>>
>>1055004
Not against UFOs.
>>
>>1054023
Also small dogs cant see very far and cant jump very high. I trained my hybrid that he can see further if he climbs lets say a five feet hay bale. If a dog dares to climb, it can see further, which means less of a chance of getting lost. Also sometimes play with smelly toys and hide them. They can sense smell a lot better but also have to train regularly
>>
>>1023460
>>not rigging your campsite with traps and noise making devices
I unironically take around 5 rape alarms and fishing wire and set up trip wires including one that goes all the way around me

I've had them trigger once - turned out to be a deer woek me up after about 5 hours sleep it was pretty light out so I just packed up my gear and headed off
>>
>>1023465
>gun under pillow
>walls lined with guns and ammo
>will sleep through explosions
If someone breaks into my house, they're just gonna walk into my room, load any gun, and blow me away.
>>
>>1022038
i was pretty paranoid the first cuple times. now i just dont give a fuck. if something fucks with me and i wake up in time to blast it then good, fuck that thing. If not, well i guess it wasnt meant to be. quit being so afraid to be directly responsible for yourself and realize you dont have as much control in the real world as you think you do, the only thing you control is your actions and thoughts.
>>
>>1057708
NOW that's something I'm terrified of. I can deal with animals and humans alike but ayyys? Fuck that noise! No way! That's the only reason I never camp alone.
>>
>>1022149
lmfao
>>
>>1022038

I use tents so at least an axe murderer or coyotes will have to be noisy to get to me. Hammock camping alone is spooky. Plus I carry a gun because it's the USA, baby.
>>
>>1022038
I'm more afraid of walking in the city than in the woods
>>
>>1051105
Statistic don't help when you're killed by a vending machine
>oh no he is alright, vending machines kill only 1 person per 10 years
>>
>>1058341
The city is far more dangerous. At least niggers don't like the woods.
>>
I backpack but not enough and frequent enough that I don't have a hard time sleeping. Last time I had owls hooting to each other, but later that night every twig snap and I'm like "bear?" I rarely get good sleep till 1 am, then I sleep till 4 and am woken by the birds in which I can sleep in till whatever I need, usually 7-8.

I have only hammock camped, idk if I'd feel more safe with a tent
>>
>>1022616
>-Bring a big gun and sleep with it very close to you.
since i live in europe, i always cuddle with a knife or hatchet in my hammock. does the trick for me, but i never had any encounter.
>>
just keep in mind that the chance anything happens is incredible small
>>
File: 1499912714624.png (175KB, 384x390px) Image search: [Google]
1499912714624.png
175KB, 384x390px
>>1022130
Not OP but have similar hangups. I don't mind being murdered but would prefer no rape desu
Any tips on avoiding the wild dick?
>>
>>1024375
I understood that reference
>>
>>1039289
>missed the joke
>>
You bring a firearm, Alcohol/and or cannabis (if thats your thing). keep your fire lit. and know your surroundings before laying down. It helps a little. but honestly its always strange being in the woods alone
>>
File: 1498500996967.gif (354KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1498500996967.gif
354KB, 240x200px
>>1024429
Mfw trained in martial arts since I was 5. Won multiple national championships. Also am pretty decent shot with my .45 and go to the range every couple weeks to keep it up. Once knocked out a coyote mauling my little dog... Still terrified of skin walkers.
>>
Skinwalkers don't exist, how can people believe in something so retarded when it has never ever been captured of film?
>>
What do you do with strange noises, like really really strange noises? I heard footsteps and something like a muffled drums in the distance. There are some landbirds here that run int he forest floor and make walking noises but that and the drums? I screamed at the night and the noise went away, but no idea of what was that shit
>>
>>1023460
I legit rig my camp site up with multiple tripwires attached to noise grenades and carry a shotty. I have severe paranoia.
>>
>>1060701
>noise grenades on tripwires
Genius, /k/omrade, adding to my kit now.
>>
>>1022038
Learn how to set up tripwire alarms. Just be sure to set them high enough that small mammals won't set them off.
>>
>>1039252
Sometimes you smile at someone before you even recognize them. Sometimes you intensely dislike someone even though you can't say exactly why. Sometimes you are scared for seemingly no reason. That doesn't mean your instincts are always right, but there is a reason they're telling you something. If they weren't right most of the time they wouldn't exist.
>>
>>1039286
No it WILL run after a squirrel unless extremely well trained. But other than the occasional critter chase your dog will usually stay within 10 yards of you without requiring any training.
I know because I go innawoods with different dogs often.
>>
>>1046139
I now have two reasons not to like you
>>
>>1057922
>I unironically take around 5 rape alarms and fishing wire and set up trip wires including one that goes all the way around me
Why even go outside?
>>
>>1060945
Tripwire alarm wouldn't be able to wake me up, I am a very heavy sleeper.
>>
>>1061034
I love being outside, but unfortunately I'm quite paranoid from ages 18-20 I didn't go outside then when I found /out/ I started to realize I really wanted to be in the outdoors so even though the tripwires offer no real protection I don't think I could manage without them
>>
>>1022038

Fuck off cunt, we've had this thread enough fucking times. Get off your computer and go out, you autistic retarded child
>>
since pre-history, human beings have done everything they can to STOP sleeping in the woods unprotected. our fetish as /out/ists is to defy our natiral instincts, and yes, it's inherently risky.

If you don't want to assume the risk, don't go outside. If you just want to check out the scenery go on a day hike, and if you want to LARP as a survivalist play a fucking video game.
Thread posts: 182
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.