[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thinking about getting scuba certified this summer. Anyone have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: fatbitch.jpg (135KB, 610x458px) Image search: [Google]
fatbitch.jpg
135KB, 610x458px
Thinking about getting scuba certified this summer. Anyone have experience with scuba diving and or tips?
>>
>>1021301
I just did class work and confined water dives (pool dives). Going to finish my certification in mexico in a few days. I'm no authority on diving, but I just wanted to give you a friendly bump and say: do it.
>>
>>1021301
i am also interested in this hobby, but how much does it cost?

sadly with where i live i would need a boat to get to any places worth diving at an i dont have the means to buy one,store it or transport one.

but for future reference yea, about how much could one look at spending in order to get their cert plus equipment?
>>
I work at a scuba shop and have been diving for years. You should for sure do it
>>
Do it and go dive in cozumel
>>
>>1021301

Is... Is that a SCUBA Rascal?!
>>
Hey anon, I'm open water certified and have quite a few dives under my belt. I got my certification last September. I just want to say that a lot of people get their certification and never dive after that out of fear. Don't do that, find a friend from the class or a dive buddy and whenever you finish one dive and are logging it, make plans for your next dive.

I know a lot of people will tell you otherwise, but as soon as you can afford it you should buy your own equipment. You can get away with buying a used BCD and wetsuit, but you should really buy your own computer/reg/octopus/low pressure inflater hose rig, since these things need more maintenance and the hoses might be worn. Buying an air tank isn't worth it, especially if you plan on getting a nitrox certification eventually. Buying your own equipment will save you a lot of money in the long run. I live in Florida and there are practically a million places to go diving here and I only have to shell out 10 bucks or so for an air tank and I am good to go.

I hope I helped anon. Getting dive certified was one of the most rewarding things I have ever done.
>>
>>1021452
Want to but where the fuck to dive in kansas.

What it cost?
>>
Free dive instead. It's cheaper and easier
>>
>>1021584
Op here I also live in Florida, which is why im excited to learn to Scuba dive. Currently by Hollywood and im just really excited. Im going away to school in the fall, but ill still be by the coast in Jacksonville, so i hope to dive there some as well. I am really looking forward to it. Would I need a boat to dive off, or can i just go from the beach?

>>1021790
Yea i enjoy free diving, Im actually free diving this friday in palm beach
>>
I got my certification like 2 summers ago and haven't been since, unfortunately. I did one open water dive for the class and it was really cool, but didn't have any friends that were really into it and I guess I wasn't really motivated enough to seek anyone out to go with.

I'd do it again but I wouldn't be very confident in my abilities. Very cool experience, I love the water and swimming but diving did freak me out a little
>>
>>1021301
The deeper you go the more nitrogen your body is blasted with. But you'll probably learn about that
>>
In places like kansas most dive shops go to a near by lake for the open water dives.
The cost for the classes and all that shit where I work is about $325.
>>
>>1021617

^^^^^
>>
Where can I buy an under water mobility scooter like this, and how deep can I realistically take it?
>>
>>1021969
Freshwater dives in Florida are amazing too, and really not that far away. Here are some of my favorite dives I've been on:

>Devil's Den, ton of swimthroughs
>Ginnie Springs, just beautiful and surreal
>Blue Heron Bridge, just walk in the water and it is gorgeous, a bit of a drive though and only can dive at a very specific time

The most amazing thing I have ever experienced is when my boyfriend/dive buddy and I were camping/diving at Ginnie for a few days last January and it was raining and around 40 degrees out (which is cold if you live in Florida) and they only let you dive at night if you are camping there. It was also recommended to us that we should bring down glowsticks and break them open underwater (nontoxic material, don't worry). We did and we turned our flashlights off and it was just this huge cavern and the spring pushing and swirling the small glowing specks and it was like swimming through a galaxy. Breathtaking.
>>
How do u fags enjoy this. Dont your ears hurt when you go to deep
>>
>>1024336
You clear your ears you dumb fag
>>
I start my classes next month. Picked up 2nd hand gear off Craigslist. Really excited about it
>>
>>1024340
How to clear ears? I hate the painful pressure when I dive deep in a pool.
>>
File: EarArt_650pxW.jpg (64KB, 650x437px) Image search: [Google]
EarArt_650pxW.jpg
64KB, 650x437px
>>1024355
you need to open your pharyngotympanic tube (usually called the eustachian tube) to equalise the pressure in your middle ear. chewing motions, swallowing, and similar muscle contractions that sounds like "clicks" in your ears will do that. in some cases holding your nose and gently blowing or sucking will change the pressure in your ear.

it's harder to do when you're under water because high outside pressure actually inhibit your eustachian tube from opening easily, so often you need to help it out. when there's lower outside pressure the eustachian tube opens more readily and tends to cause less discomfort (like when you go up in a plane vs. when you descend).

>t. an almost audiologist
>>
>>1024355
Hold your nose shut and exhale a bit. Do this as you descend, every 8 feet or so. Should hurt slightly and sound like a squeak in your ears.
>>
What would it take to become a commercial or professional diver?

How do I get into the industry?
>>
>>1024426
Get as many certifications as you can and go on as many dives as you can and you can become a dive master and do it professionally
>>
>>1024360
Are there any long term effects from eustachian tube dysfunction? When I swallow I hear those clicks so they told me that's what I have, it really doesn't affect my life in any way but I've always been worried that it causes damage over time.
>>
>>1024513
I also get clicks when my jaw moves (and hayfever to boot), but can dive just fine. Learn the Valsalve Maneouvre (pince your nose and blow), or learn to tense your palate to open the tubes up voluntarily and equalise pressure without mucking about holding your nose and blowing (and allows pressure to drop s you ascend too.

>>1024426
You'll mostly be doing Surface Supplied for commercial work rather than SCUBA. Different training, and the field is hyper-competitve and voersaturated, so if you want to get in expect to dump a huge amount of your own cash on training before anyone will consider employing you (they have such a pool of pre-certififed applicants that nobody will bother sponsoring you). The other option is join the military and go for Mine Clearance Diver or similar, who WILL pay to train you.
>>
>>1024513
Nah
>>
>>1021301
I'm a marine biologist and frequent diver. Did the training as a teenager and went on a div holiday to South Africa, but later diving made me really anxious and I dropped it for years. Basically don't do that, just keep making new opportunities to go diving until the entire thing is second nature. Yeah, just keep on diving whenever you can and keep progressing through qualifications until you have some useful rescue skills- don't just stick with a PADI Open Water. If you're at college/university, there are usually societies that will let you do all this for much cheaper than anywhere else.
>>
Just got my open water and advanced open water in Thailand (Koh Tao). Amazing experience! Cost about 280$ and 220$ respectively. Took just 6 days total as well which was nice. Not sure where to dive back in the US yet but fairly certain it'll cost notably more than Thailand.
>>
>>1021301
Diving is fun.
I'm working on my certification ATM and getting all the equipment.
Tip#1: find a buddy.
>>
>>1021301
i did PADI open water a few years ago, as long as you're not a retard and can a reasonable level of fitness and can swim like 200m it's pretty easy
>>
I did OW and Advanced in Indonesia like a week ago. One of the best experiences of my life. I'm hoping I can somehow incorporate that into my career someday. It's super easy as long as you don't give up. It's only fear that people drop out from. I was anxious doing closed water dives but hitting the open water everything was just so amazing I didn't have time to worry. Need to start buying scuba gear now...fug
>>
File: aquariusreefbase.jpg (328KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
aquariusreefbase.jpg
328KB, 700x525px
>Millionaires can pay $$$ to stay on the ISS
>Nobody can pay $$$ to stay on Aquarius

It's not fair
>>
What's the best dive mask on budget? I'm looking to get into free diving or snorkeling.
I'll mainly be using it in rivers. Heck, maybe throw in some flippers in there too.
>>
>>1027519
Lets say $80 bucks is the limit.
>>
File: nomad.jpg (707KB, 1724x768px) Image search: [Google]
nomad.jpg
707KB, 1724x768px
>>1027511
it's a SCIENTIFIC FACT that we've explored more of outer space than the ocean anon. maybe in 50 years there'll be some room for undersea tourism but it's a long way off yet
>>
File: aquariusinside.jpg (50KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
aquariusinside.jpg
50KB, 640x480px
>>1027530

There's already tour subs. And the Jules Undersea Lodge. But I specifically want to go stay a few nights in Aquarius. It's been down there for 30 years, you would think they could make time for some high paying tourists
>>
Underwater caves tend to have the most hidden pirate treasure because people are too pussy to swim in them.
>>
Just finished my OWD certification in Mexico with the old lady. Great experience and I'm looking forward to diving again.

Do it OP. I suggest partnering with a friend so you guys can be dive buddies.
>>
Anybody got recommendations for someone about to start buying their own equipment?
>>
>>1021301
How long does a certification last? Does a Padi certification count in different countries?
>>
>>1021301
Don't drown>>1021301
>>
>>1030982
Forever. All of them.
>>
>>1031174
Nice. Seems pretty worth it to get one
>>
>>1021301
PADI Rescue Diver here

I really, really want to make the Divemaster course, but most than anything, I just want to gather immersions/accumulate experience...
But Im poorfag, and the divemaster course is like $1,500 because I also need an CPR course update, according to the instructor I talked with.

:(

Is it worth aspiring for a career in scuba diving at age 35 anyway??

Also, I recommend you guys diving @ Malpelo Island, Providencia Island or Gorgona Island
>>
>>1027519

I would say the oceanic shadow. Maybe I'm biased because I own one. Frameless with a neoprene strap, so it's very comfortable. Even the silicone is of different quality than others in it's price range.
>>
>>1021301
That pic is like a Giger painting brought to life.
>>
>>1031873
My dive instructor was about your age when she started instructing. Follow your dreams man, you're still young.
>>
>>1032666
ty satan!!

i already contacted some dive centers and will start sending out my CV to the ones i find to see if i can work for them and get the divemaster in return

to be sort of like an apprentice
>>
>>1021301
diving is fun, but its a destination activity for most people so its kind of expensive. how bad do you want to see fish? where do you live? also, speaking from exp, most of the sealife you seek is probably swimming within the first 20 ft below the surface. dont overlook free diving. its free! scuba is great but just being underwater to be underwater get old fast. its ok i guess. visiting someplace with great marine life and structure is the best. im certified, 20 or so open water dives, so im a novice. but snorkeling and free diving can be extremely adventurous and rewarding....try them all! just do think you need to drop 300 bucks first to enjoy going in the water. you just need a mask....
>>
>>1033618
>implying diving is only about seeing fish lol

buy yeah, snorkeling is also very nice. Another feeling and also hell of an exercise.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.