[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup sc/out/s. I'm new to the Sonoran desert and am hoping

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 20170426_192325.jpg (2MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20170426_192325.jpg
2MB, 5312x2988px
Sup sc/out/s.

I'm new to the Sonoran desert and am hoping to do some backpacking. I can pretty much just start hiking in the wilderness right out my front door.

So my question is this: how much water should I carry and what's the best way to carry?

I was sort of thinking one 2 liter platypus, two 2 liter soda bottles (one to stash for the way back) and two 1 liter water bottles. Seems like a lot of weight/bulk. What do you guys do in the desert?
>>
It depends on time of year and day plus how long and difficult your trip will be. You are going to sweat more than you ever thought you could. Make sure you replenish lost salt and get potassium
>>
>>1021221
In the beginning I'm probably just gonna do a 2 day there and back either this spring but definitely will be attempting again in the summer.

Hadn't thought about salt replenishment though. Possibly will bring some beef jerky to snack on, one of my favorite hiking foods.
>>
I wanna say bait. This time of year where I'm at you need five gallons a day if you're walking long distance and since you say two days you're gonna definitely need those five gallons
>>
>>1021341
Sorry i missed the new part.
>>
File: 1489214098881.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1489214098881.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
>>1021341
How the fuck am I supposed to backpack with 10 gallons of water? Seriously do people not do this?
>>
>>1021383
Just saying that's what they tell you to drink you can get away with your original plan if you drink sparingly.
>>
>>1021341
Can confirm. I've gone through well over 5 gallons/day while bicycling in 120F days down in southern AZ/northern Mexico.

>>1021383
Backpacking, the most I've carried is 3 gal and even that's a pain in the ass. I've done that in UT, CO and ND and I felt pretty constrained to 1 night in the backcountry with a fairly modest hike in/out. Even then, I would have drank more water if I could have.
>>
>>1022229
> I felt pretty constrained to 1 night in the backcountry with a fairly modest hike in/out

Yeah this is what im looking to do probably. Best way to transport 3 gallons? Also how were you transporting 5+ on your bike?
>>
>>1022444
I always roll with 3 ~0.75L bottles, that's 2.25 L. I also carry 2 10L bladders. If I filled them all that would be almost 6 gallons.

With that said, I essentially never fill both bladders in addition to the bottles. Normally I just use the two bladders with my Sawyer Mini for a gravity filter system. Fill one from a natural source, turn it upside down, flowing through the filter into the other, and leave with 10 L of clean water in the morning.

MSR Dromedaries aren't the cheapest things in the world, but mine have lasted me 30,000+ miles of cycling without a hitch, and the water that comes out of them doesn't taste plasticy. I just use them to refill my water bottles as necessary.
>>
>>1021383
Take a water filter and plan your routes very carefully so you have guaranteed resupply spots. Carrying anything more than about 7L is fucking rough.

I haven't lived in AZ in years but I would frequently drink 4 quarts of water on an afternoon quail hunt in early fall, and still be pissing pickle juice when I got home.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.