[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Making a campsite with a fire ring is like a cancer in the forest.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: 1468569546324.png (116KB, 1891x1720px) Image search: [Google]
1468569546324.png
116KB, 1891x1720px
Making a campsite with a fire ring is like a cancer in the forest. It starts small, but other campers see it and use it. Each new camper is more careless than the ones before, they cut and salvage wood for their fires, they destroy the ground vegetation, they litter the site, they run out of places to crap. I grows and it grows, and becomes a festering wound. We have to prevent it from happening, and surgically remove one as soon as we find it
>>
>>1020507
no
>>
File: sorrym8.png (1MB, 848x960px) Image search: [Google]
sorrym8.png
1MB, 848x960px
sorry m8
>>
>>1020507

>make fire ring
>have fire and is contained by ring
>next morning, scatter rocks
>re-lay turf or kick away remaining coals

whats so hard about that
>>
>>1020507
>hey look guiz, i'm trying to start a new /out/ meme
could you be any more obvious?
>>
>>1020507
I agree with you, op
The backcountry is full of fire rings
There is usually no reason to build a new one
I don't need a virgin site
But people are going to camp somewhere
Is a bunch of slightly trashed spaces better than one really, really trashed place?
>>
>>1020755
Campfires you dont ring go away together with the tramped grass pretty fast.
>>1020549
>have fire and is contained by ring
This is the meme.
You use rocks not to contain fire for "safety" but to trap heat to make it burn hotter.
>>
Just shows the need for more refugees, which would keep the citizens fearfully in their rental homes rather than polluting nature with their gay ass campfires and vegan marshmallow poker penis substitutes
>>
>>1020775
>Campfires you dont ring go away together with the tramped grass pretty fast.
>I only camp at low elevations and in lush areas
In the mountains or the desert, fire scars can last for a very long time
>>
>>1020807
can pol fuck of with its shitty b8 evereywhere
>>
>>1020878
Who is pol?
>>
File: DSCN9732a.jpg (2MB, 2048x2304px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9732a.jpg
2MB, 2048x2304px
>>1020507
>taking time to write out a slippery slope.

Don't mention it. Instead, give a solution and set a good example. Lure people to another method.
>>
File: Submarine Hamburger - 2 min.webm (3MB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Submarine Hamburger - 2 min.webm
3MB, 160x120px
>>1021020
>>
>>1021022
>constantly breaking and feeding twigs for 30 minutes to cook a burger
K
>>
>>1021093
It does need a wind guard, but it barely even used a single handful of twigs. Most of what you see is poking a twig into then out of the feeder to adjust air flow levels to prevent black smoke. It is only the 2nd design and I'm still testing specifics for the 3rd design.
>>
>>1021157
Pretty interesting concept, think it would be safe to use within a ventilated shelter?
>>
>>1021093
Eating a burger sounds better then eating twigs and drinking your own piss out of snakeskine, but have fun doing that for your nourishment /out/side, got a thumbs up from me buddy, grubbs and piss have a feast, I'll just stick to some shitty medium rare lamb burger. Woe is me.
>>
>>1021256
>ventilated

That being the key word, yes. I normally pile in shredded up stuff to start the fire so there's a good bit of initial white smoke as things catch fire and the chimney comes up to temperature. The column of white smoke will light on fire when this happens and can be 4-5 high above the stove top, if there's no wind to disperse it. That may be a problem inside a shelter. Thus, you'd need to use a different method to start the initial fire, which isn't difficult to do.

After the fire is lit, only the air flow into the stove is a problem. If you shove too many sticks in or the coals build up too fast, the air flow on the bottom can be restricted. This causes black smoke to start. If you have a handle on air flow then there won't be any smoke at all. I have a couple idea as to how to prevent this from occurring via the design. First is to raise the inlet hole so there's some space between the bottom of the burn chamber and the air inlet. Second is to add a short section of metal pipe to let in more air or be capped off as needed.

I would never use this or any fuel-fired stove at all in an enclosed space without ventilation. Even with my gas stoves and wood stoves at home I make sure there's fresh air coming in from somewhere.

I'm still testing this out and learning more and more about it. It'll be a year old at the end of next week.

>>1021280
>not having a whole spatchcock chicken instead.

I use this thing for BBQ, grilling, and such on my back porch all the time.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.