[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gf and I are going on our first multi-day camping hike through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

File: 1495177554629.png (54KB, 251x257px) Image search: [Google]
1495177554629.png
54KB, 251x257px
Gf and I are going on our first multi-day camping hike through Zaleski state park in Ohio. What boot doesf /out Recommend?

Also, info graphic thread
>>
>>1019927
>What doesf /out Recommend?

MGTOW
>>
File: 02472489.gif (2MB, 540x216px) Image search: [Google]
02472489.gif
2MB, 540x216px
>>1019927
1. lube
2. sea lion
>>
>>1019927
/out/ recommends going to try on different boots/shoes at the store to see which one fits you best because people's feet are different.
>>
>>1019942
make sure she brings a few days of tampons

because you're not going to find any in the wild.
>>
File: tampoons.jpg (80KB, 750x583px) Image search: [Google]
tampoons.jpg
80KB, 750x583px
>>1020107
You suck at wildcrafting
Do you even out?
>>
>>1019928

>MGTOW

whiny bitches who can't get laid.
>>
>>1020116
What a stupid comment.
>>
depends on envirnment, if its marshy and lots of rivers, a higher waterproof boot, if its dry and rocky, a good hiking shie will do. just make them comfortable and change socks often. dont want to get trench foot.
>>
>>1020155
Beta orbiter detected.
>>
There is no real recommended brand because everybody's feet are slightly different shapes. I have trouble with certain, otherwise well made, brands of boots in general because my feet don't fit them well and I get blisters. Personally, I wear Keen boots because they fit my feet the best; however, they soles of Keen boots tend not to last very long, so even though the fit is perfect, the quality could be better. The best recommendation is to get boots that fit you well.

As for styles, that can vary based on preference, but you should approach it thinking that you want to wear as little weight on your feet as possible. Rocky conditions tend to warrant higher boots, though.
>>
>>1020210
Ur a stupid commnet
>>
Due to your location, I would keep in mind the heightened threat of ticks in the region. High boots, high socks, and long pants.

Central Ohio isn't near as marshy as NE Ohio, so you could probably find some good dry climate, breathable boots. I'd try to find some lace-up high boots. I personally like Bellevilles.

Be sure to break in your new gear before you start your adventure, or you'll be one sore SOB.
>>
File: 1483892468036.jpg (50KB, 540x752px) Image search: [Google]
1483892468036.jpg
50KB, 540x752px
>>1020225
>>1020219
>>1020052
Gf and I will have to try on some boots then. Is there a good retailer aside from obvious like maybe Camel's? How many days/miles is the break
In period?
>>
>>1021379
*cabelas
>>
File: ogc.png (949KB, 1588x964px) Image search: [Google]
ogc.png
949KB, 1588x964px
>>1021379
Do a Google Maps search for "outdoor gear."
>>
>>1021379
Leather boots can have a long break in. Plastic boots don't have a very long break in, but you might want to wear them around town a few days or a week.
>>
File: timber_15jul09_2b[1].jpg (163KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
timber_15jul09_2b[1].jpg
163KB, 750x500px
does she have a hog rifle?

also, snake pistol for timber rattlers

and dont feed the bigfoot/feet
>>
>>1021632
I'm getting a 10mm
>>
>>1021379

Leather boots can take weeks or longer to break in, the hard way.

However, some higher end boot suppliers can "break" them in for you. I've never tried it, but I've heard it's worth it. I'm not entirely sure how that works.

Leather boots are a pretty big commitment. Not only is the price higher, but they take a lot of care. The reward is greater, through time and patience.

If you want something good right out of the box, go try a higher end synthetic like Merrell's or something.
>>
>>1019927
Don't do drugs. You'll leave your gf for Ohio.
>>
File: 1491453764019.png (737KB, 613x502px) Image search: [Google]
1491453764019.png
737KB, 613x502px
>>1021652
Wat
>>
>>1021655
Ohio is an erotic lady.
>>
>>1021686who the fuck is ohio
>>
>>1021655
>>1022704
>not knowing the classic /out/ story
>of a naive young man seduced by a famous woodsman cosplayer
>and essentially roofied while listening to a lecture on the geology and mythos of Ohio while perched atop of high hill overlooking the river valley
>and given an erotic massage while tripping balls
>and his developing an intense fetish for the state of Ohio and its fault lines and geology
>>
>>1019927
sauce on pic
>>
>>1019927
Where is this picture from? This is the umpteenth time seeing it across the boards
>>
>>1023303
I too, wonder.
I tried tineye but came up with nothing, anon.
Maybe one day the source will be posted.
>>
>>1021632
zaleskis a state forest. you can't have a gun there unless it's a ccw or you're in a designated hunting area.

also, no trailside camping either; you have to sleep at designated backpacking camp sites.

overall, fuck zaleski. Wayne national ftw.
>>
>>1019927
Hey, I can actually contribute. I went to Zaleski a few weeks ago with my girlfriend for the first time.

Do you know which loop you want to do? We did the middle loop starting at the Iron Furnace. (XYBCDEFGHI-CAMP-JKYX). This was also our first multi-day trip together. It was definitely an adequate challenge, and you will be dog tired by the time you get to camp. Zaleski is nice because they have water pumps at every campsite.

As far as boots go, I would say fuck boots. We didn't wear boots, we wore running shoes. IMO It's more important that you wear something that is comfortable rather than something super durable and heavy because nothing is worse than having your feet get horribly sore when you're backpacking. Zaleski does have very few streams and you'll only come across a few streams during the entire middle loop. That being said, there are a lot (probably a dozen or so) of really muddy areas on the trail that you will want to walk around.

If you do go the running shoe route, I would recommend that you get a good pair of wool socks, like Darn Tough brand socks. Cotton socks will absolutely suck if they get wet and take forever to dry.

The terrain isn't bad, on JKYX there is a good amount of big rocks, rock overhangs, and cliffs and that was the only time we had to watch out for slipping. If you would like, camping somewhere in JKYX would be awesome. There are a lot of campsites cleared under the big rock overhangs that looked really cool. Technically you are supposed to camp at the designated campsites though.
>>
>>1019927
>>1023726

Also a few pieces of advice that I would have after my experience would be:

1. Print off a map and bring it with you. I was in a hurry before leaving and didn't print off a map. Figured they would have them at the sign in booth, but they were out.

2. Don't use a shitty sleep pad. I bought my gf a Seemoo and I used a shitty blue walmart foam pad. Don't do that unless you can sleep on a rock. It really sucked. I bought a thermarest immediately after coming home. It is also a good idea to put your tent over a patch of grass or soft dirt and not where the hard dry dirt is that people usually put their tents on. It will just make it much much more comfortable.

3. Be ready to look for firewood hardcore. The campsites have pretty much been picked clean of all the dead wood laying around. It was really hard to find any decently sized deadfall to use.

4. Be sure to put all of your food stuffs in a bag and tie it up at night away from camp. I tied ours up, but my gf forgot about the pot she cooked with in her bag. So we had a visitor at night, not sure what it was but our dog went berserk after it. There were also coyotes howling all around us from like 11pm to 1am.
>>
>>1019927
I walk on concrete 9+ hours a day and I like to go /out/ on the weekends. I personally use Danners, but not everyone can afford $200 boots every year. They are the only boots my feet won't hurt in after I abuse them and they hold together ridiculously well.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.