[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hiya sc/out/s I'm you get this thread every other week but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: tumblr_om1shgnL9Z1vdbx3no1_1280.jpg (58KB, 640x853px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_om1shgnL9Z1vdbx3no1_1280.jpg
58KB, 640x853px
Hiya sc/out/s
I'm you get this thread every other week but I'm gonna post it anyway
One of my dreams has been to walk across the USA. I'm 22 and not with many goals or ambitions, how feasible is this?
What preparations should I take?
I live in California if it means anything.
>>
start walkin

bring a tent so that when you're not walking you don't sleep on the ground

bring some money so you can buy some food

that's literally all you need to technically survive.. of course that leaves all other future ambitions at the door. If that doesn't sound very good to you then maybe you do have some ambitions about the future after all?
>>
>>1018440
My best freind from hs biked it when he was 20. He pretended it was for some obscure charity but only took "kindness" like free meals or a yard to sleep in. But that was 20 yrs ago.

At this.point, in this political climate, i seriously doubt you will have as many yards to sleep in. Look for churches.

But fuck it. Follow your dreams.
>>
File: cute sweater girl.gif (541KB, 200x272px) Image search: [Google]
cute sweater girl.gif
541KB, 200x272px
>>1018556
Thank you, I was going to get a tent, a mess kit, all the essentials as time goes on. I may be a loser but I do have a job. I wasn't going to go right away, maybe sometime next year during the spring. Save up some money and then go.

>>1018559
I do have a bike, maybe I should bring that. Would save me some miles. Will definitely look for churches, dunno if I could have the courage to ask people to sleep in their yards, wouldn't wanna get bonked or anything.

Like I said though, I'm not gonna just jump right into this, I'm gonna prepare and all.
Take a first aid class so I can patch myself up if shit goes south and I'll take some sketches and notes from my survival book on which plants I can and cannot eat.

As far as travel plans go, I was planning on grabbing a map of the US and dotting off some places where some of my online friends live.
>>
>>1018440

Have you thought about going into the wild?
>>
>>1018622
In case you don't know, almost all methodist churches and many episcopalian and baptist churches out in the country have a house next to them for the pastor. If its a methodist church, 99% of the time this is true, due to the way methodist have always operated (communities build a church, the conference sends a preacher. Since the 1800s) so if you see a methodist church just go knock on the preachers door, do some stranger looking for shelter schtick and he'll invite you in to sleep on his couch. Then you decline and just ask to set up your tent for the night. My buddy said this worked almost every time.
>>
>>1018698
Yeah but there's not much wild where I live...
>>1018732
Thank you for this as well
Ill keep notes and such in a little moleskine notebook

Any other tips like this? Every little bit helps
>>
>>1018732
That's basically what I'll be doing with the churches in Ireland when i walk North to South in July
>>
File: 1467154537050.png (955KB, 1066x781px) Image search: [Google]
1467154537050.png
955KB, 1066x781px
>>1018559
Wtf does trump have to do with sleeping in ppls yards with their permission
>>
>>1018867
Not that guy.
Not Trump. Just 'political climate.'
I would have said the same thing 6 years ago. People are skittish and afraid. I walked around Michigan a couple years ago, spent most of the money I used on motels because not even most of the churches would let me borrow a couple square feet of their parking lot.
However!
Fucking SIKHS, man. If there's a gurdwara in a town, check it out. They will usually feed you, and a lot of them have a room or hall for travellers to stay in. The only thing they asked of me was that I cover my head with a kerchief, and uncover my feet. Some of them will ask that you help with dishes or sweep or something, too.
>>
>>1018932
This

Sikhs are based
>>
>>1018440
Maybe to a test walk first. Spend a week walking then make a decision about if you want to do the while country.
>>
Read up on how not to fuck up your knees
>>
>>1018867
As the other guy said it has nothing to do with trump. Trump is merely a syptom. The disease is that no one trusts each other.

Back almost 20 years ago when my friend did it we were just coming out of the "everyones rich" late 90s and into the "were all in this together" early 00s.

Now you cant say a sexual normative pronoun without someone being mortally offended.
>>
>>1018932
>>1018947
Sikhs, got it.
Duly noted!
>>1018970
Maybe, I have a bike. I walk all the time at my job, literally get paid to walk and push carts. >>1018987
Gotcha
>>
>>1019033
Not him but a test might be self defeating. It might be better to, in the words of the warrior poet shia ledouche, just do it.

Also, good luck finding seiks every 25 miles in bumfuck, iowa.
>>
File: tumblr_opv1klSY331viwff8o1_1280.png (2MB, 1280x1816px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opv1klSY331viwff8o1_1280.png
2MB, 1280x1816px
>>1019041
No, I wasn't actually planning on doing a test.
If I do something like this, I'm gonna do it like I do everything else: on the highest setting and with everything I've got!

...Of course, I'd plan a course and have checkpoints so people know I didn't die.
>>
>>1018816
My buddy's kid is doing this, and he got to Texas from Jersey.

Quick tips
>knock on doors, tell them what you're doing, offer to help with whatever they need in exchange for shelter/food.

>before you leave attatch milk crates to the bike.

He was in Georgia when he ghetto rigged them on. Bonus storage is important.

>get a good water filter and sturdy tent.

You can always set up a bit off the roadside. Just be sure to pack and bail in the morning. Anyone hassles you about it, tell them you're going cross country, cops will usually leave you to yourself.

>stick with cash

>keep an ample supply of toilet paper.

That's about it.

Stay safe out there.
>>
>>1019083
Fucking TOILET PAPER.
THIS.
Also if you have the space and money, bring wipes.
Your butthole will thank you when you inevitably have a bad reaction to local water sources.
>>
>>1019083
Milk Crates sounds good.
I have a little uhh thingie.
A bike rack but its one of those screw into the seat ones, not very good.
I already have a rack bag on it as well but I will see if I can rig it.

Didn't think about a water filter and stick with cash.
That's a good idea but I was thinking about bringing plastic and having cash on hand and hiding the plastic somewhere deep in my pack.

>>1019092
Wet-wipes, I got it.
>>
>>1019098
And some baby powder for swamp-ass.
>>
>>1018990
>and into the "were all in this together" early 00s.
I'm so glad I was an undergrad starting in 2003. There were still flakes and campus activists, but it was much less polarized, people didn't take themselves and their opinions quite so seriously it seemed, and being offended didn't equate to a personal Holocaust.

Not to mention people were less uptight sexually. It was a blast and I was definitely on the cusp of the ultra-sensitive snowflake culture we now see.
>>
File: tumblr_opwb2aqMWr1viwff8o1_1280.png (1MB, 1280x1804px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_opwb2aqMWr1viwff8o1_1280.png
1MB, 1280x1804px
>>1019111
Trips of truth.
I will definitely be making a list and checking it twice.
I know /out/ is a slow board so I'll bump this thread for as long as I can until I get everything together (thinking spring 2018)
If I'm gonna go through with it, I'll adopt a trip and be sure to chronicle my journey on this board and maybe /n/
>>
>>1018440

You will find that when you're going through town for supplies or rest that you will come across people who are interested in what you're doing and offer you help. At least its happened to me dozens of times on my adventures. Put yourself out there, it's a big wide world, and things have a way of working out if you have a good attitude.

Get a nice pack, some nice shoes, and go through a few short trial runs to the next towns over.

Many towns and cities have food banks, Goodwills, and places to get free stuff like clothes. I've spent 8 months on the road before without spending a dime.

Plan with the seasons so you can live off the land as long as you can.

Smile, and wave to strangers. People in small towns especially. This is just courtesy, but it can also score you a ride somewhere, or a little help. I don't really venture into the big city.

Enjoy yourself. Don't panic. Keep going.

Best of luck, maybe I'll see you out there.
>>
File: NPC02a.png (88KB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
NPC02a.png
88KB, 150x150px
Bumping for tips n shit
>>
What’s up with the picture? Is she gonna walk across the US dressed as an anime character?
>>
>>1018440

Foot care
Gold bond foot powder and wool socks. Cannot stress wool socks enough. Breathable, keep feet at good temp, don't smell, comfy. Wear in your shoes properly before setting off.
>>
>>1018990

totally bro lol impeech drumpf! bernie should be president
>>
>>1019783
I don't think you understand the post you replied to, and I get the feeling you aren't very good at reading.
>>
File: IMG_3747.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3747.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I did this two years ago in winter. Jacksonville, FL to San Francisco, CA. Highly recommend west to east because the tailwind will help immensely.

Find a small place outta sight to pitch a tent. I started looking an hour before sunset. Watch out for wild boars in the southern US. AMA
>>
>>1020028
Starting from CA if I do this, thanks for that.
Should I get some wool socks? What should I pack for chow generally?

Also, Im brown. How btfo will I get?
>>
>>1019083
If you're still here, what kinda bike did your buddy's kid have?
Anything super fancy?
>>
>>1020133
Even racist people arent blindly racist to nice people the meet.

Just be nice and 99% of all people will be nice back.

Niceness is the true redpill.
>>
>>1020438
I try to treat everyone I come across with respect and politeness.
Its the good thing to do.
>>
>>1020324
Not that I'm aware of.

As long as you're confident you'll be comfy on it, it's fine.
>>
>>1018440
>I live in California

just walk the pacific coast, hitch across to the east, and walk the atlantic coast

fuck the middle desu
>>
>>1018440
I recommend using social media cause people will throw money at you for stuff like this.

Also it's really hard. I've done long distance bicycle touring around the US (working up to going coast to coast in two years) and your everything gets sore, your stuff breaks, and you've just gotta keep going. It can really suck at points, but completing your trip is next level satisfying.

Friend of mine tried to walk it when he was 19 and he got about halfway through Pennsylvania when he tripped and fell and seriously injured his leg. Really simple shit can completely ruin your trip. And make sure your fitness levels are good. Preventing injury is paramount.
>>
>>1018440

What gets me about that image is, assuming that's her mom, she will helplessly transform into something very similar over the next ten to twenty years.

Imagine being a pristine kawaii loli doomed to mutate into snorlax by cruel genetics
>>
>>1018440
My buddy did this with bitcoin. Walked coast to coast.
>>
>>1020544

And still couldn't spend it hey? Tsk
>>
>>1020464
I wanna experience it all, a little journey of mine.

>>1020502
>your stuff breaks
So I won't be fine just lugging around some spare tubes?
I have a hybrid bike from >walmart so I should probably put some cash into getting a better more sturdier touring bicycle huh?

>>1020536
I think the socks look really cute on her, kinda wanna wear em. Maybe the whole outfit.
>>
>>1021194

>better bike?

You can do it on any bike you like, but obviously the more you spend, you'll get more comfort, ruggedness and choice.

My advice would be to try and figure out the point where cost vs benefit starts to drop off. Eg, is carbon fibre worth $500 more than a steel bike?

Get the best bike you can without going over the top.
>>
OP here

I'm gonna write up a list and post it later, you guys tell me if its a decent enough equipment list.
>>
>>1021712
Alright here it is.

>Definitely
Money
Water
Food
Clothes
Tent
Wool Socks
Journal/Writing Supplies/Letter Stuff
Bike Tubes

>Maybe
Water-Filters
Touring Bike
>>
I recommend some comfy hiking sandal (chacos etc) over socks/shoes
rotting feet suck
>>
>>1018440
>Tfw see OPs pic and now desperately want a beer
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.