[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best suspension setup for an hammock? Mine came

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

File: Best-Hammock-Straps-810x608.jpg (114KB, 810x608px) Image search: [Google]
Best-Hammock-Straps-810x608.jpg
114KB, 810x608px
What's the best suspension setup for an hammock?
Mine came with shitty, short ropes and I need to replace them, If I choose rope what's the adequate thickness?
>>
>>1017298
>thickness
>not rating
i have 6mm cord that's stronger than some 5/8" hardware garbage.
>>
>>1017301
>Imperial
>Metric

Pick one
>>
>>1017301
what about just using paracord then?
>>
>>1017302
>not being comfortable with both systems
and climbing rope and cordage is generally described in metric, and utility is usually in imperial. deal with it.
>>
>>1017303
That's fucking dumb.
>>
I got eno atlas straps, they are really easy on the tree. If you want to be nice to the bark without spending that much you can get some basic ratchet straps and just leave the ratchet at home.

If you don't give a fuck about some bark, paracord it up.
>>
>>1017330
>eno atlas straps
It's fucking nice but I would rather not spend $30 on it, it would surpass the cost of the hammock itself. Anyway I don't wanna to harm the trees but cordage seems the cheaper solution.
>>
File: that is correct.jpg (67KB, 560x415px) Image search: [Google]
that is correct.jpg
67KB, 560x415px
>what is 'tubular webbing', alex?
>>
>>1017298
The best system is one of the looped webbing straps like in your pic. They're orders of magnitude stronger than you need, allow for easy setup and adjustment even under wet or low-light conditions, and don't chew up the trees. They also don't weigh appreciably more than rope and have zero stretch.

Never try to guess a rope's strength by its diameter. I can get half-inch polypropylene rope at Home Depot that won't hold my weight without breaking (after stretching 3-4 feet first), but I could also get 4mm prusik line that I could pick up the ass end of my truck with. Not all rope is created equal.
>>1017367
So buy some chinkshit knockoffs on Amazon for $9.
>>
>>1017298
The ones in your pic
>>
Whoopie Slings are nice with about a 6' length of webbing with a loop in one end. Weighs ounces for the whole setup. If you can sew you can make it yourself for pretty cheap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPDPEEcKlDQ
>>
File: IMG_20170516_094621_DRO.jpg (4MB, 3635x2800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170516_094621_DRO.jpg
4MB, 3635x2800px
>>1017298
I use the shitty rope supplied because idc about trees and never damaged one because I'm not fat.
>>
>>1017376
This ^ Strong, better for the tree. Does take some effort to set up right but if you know what you're doing its not that bad.
>>
>>1017478
Not fat, just uneducated.

Rope can and will damage trees. Has nothing to do with weight. It's the friction and movement that damages the tree. Your Manlet size frame is putting way more psi on that tree than a 300lbs man using webbing. So, you may not be fat, but your stupidity is no better than being fat.

You also have that hammock hung incorrectly, with no ridgeline, too tight. Kind of makes you look like you have no clue how to actually use a hammock.

Since you're using rope to hand with, its clear that you in fact do not know how to actually use a hammock.

You've successfully made yourself look like an idiot in several ways, all in one post, all unintentional. Good job.
>>
>>1017367
Just use good webbing. You don't want to spend much, so just get some length of webbing and sew a loop in one end, and hang with a marlin spike hitch and toggle.

You can also get some amsteel and make 2 whoopie slings. With that same in steel left over you can make some continuous loops and a ridgeline for the hammock.
>>
>>1017598
This is one triggered fatlard. Who cares if hammock is not properly hung, as long as anon is comfy is all good.
>>
>>1017600
Makeyourgear.com has webbing and amsteel. 10 feet of webbing and 25 feet of amsteel, with a small needle to make the slings would cost you about $12. Again, that would also make you a few continuous loops and a ridgeline.
>>
>>1017604
Imagine how much more comfort he would have if he used it properly.

And how much less damage he would do to trees.

And how less idiotic he would look.

Hung that tight, even with his 115 lbs frame, he's putting a lot of shear force into his generic knockoff hammock. It'll only withstand that stress for so long before it rips in half in the middle of the night.
>>
>>1017606
Looking at the picture, with a hang calculator, looks like he's putting about 700lbs of shear force in his hammock if he weighs 120 lbs.
>>
>>1017605
Op here, unfortunately I'm from european, it's harder to find that online in my country, and by importing it I will get raped by shipping costs.
>>
>>1017598
Oh please tell me more about why I "need" a ridge line. And how rope damages trees..... It's so fascinating....

Also since you're such a hammock expert you should stop sperging out as you would know why this particular hammock likes being tight... And also since you're such a wizard and all knowing. You must of already have seen the bungees from the net are clearly undone because by time I snapped a picture I was leaving the area because it started getting hot. But I assume you know that, that information was for others...

Oh please feel free to post your hammock camping set up from the last 7 or less days... I'm sure with your pleasing attitude everyone here would also like to see your qualifications.

Oh and to trigger you some more. I shoot in the woods. And hammer reflective trail markers into trees so walking at night is easier and I don't get lost innaswamp. I also cut down green wood when ever I feel like.
>>
>>1017636
Well, I was going to help you out, but you're obviously a prick, so gfy.
>>
People R Dum

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-in-x-8-ft-Lashing-Strap-2-pack-FH0911/300319023?cm_mmc=Shopping|THD|google|&mid=shFwgTTzb|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_111415246385_pkw__pmt__product_300319023_slid_&gclid=CjwKEAjwjPXIBRDhwICRg-DbgHISJADP6QXp9TD5oBSY8FnCC61oiHxudARcXVWoDy4eizuVXGBUVxoCc2_w_wcB

problem solved. if too much weight, cut metal part off, use marlin spike hitch with toggle instead.
>>
>>1017978
I'm not even the other guy, but what kind of fucking response do you expect when you write a paragraph insulting someone? YOU ARE FUCKING AUTISTIC.
>>
>>1018095
As autistic as flipping out on some anon on a peruvian hamster breeding forum. Also the retard who dosnet know how hammocks work posted an even longer response retard.
>>
>>1017606
who cares about 2 fucking trees in a forest of thousands you hippy fuck, hes not setting the forest on fire
>>
>>1018139
I'm not LNT but doing stupid shit just because you can shows how immature you are>>1018139
, kys.
>>
>>1017298
I never understood this meme. Why not just carry a lightweight rope, tie a bowmans in one end, loop rope around tree pass it through bowmans, then tie a double overhand where needed?

I unerstand the sraps are light and easy to use, but im cheap and know how to tie basic knots.
>>
>>1018176
The straps are to not hurt the tree or strip the barks if your going to be out overnight, not for simplicity.
>>1017298
But OP nix the shitty ropes, buy some strap for the trees and then make a few whoopie slings, or buy them made out of amsteel, I even nixed all the steel carabiners that were like a pound a piece and use some titanium toggles i found on ebay. The whole suspension is like a quarter pound or some shit.
>>
File: a8541d8e2f0090ac3998069b85e39028.jpg (354KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
a8541d8e2f0090ac3998069b85e39028.jpg
354KB, 1024x768px
>>1018179
A whoopie sling is pic related, it works great and is adjustable, no cutting required, through some rope magic where you basically braid in a chinese finger trap which is still magic to me about how easy it is to use. You can make your own out of your preferred rope or just buy them for like 5$ or something.
>>
>>1018204

Basically this. At the park I was a ranger at we never had rules about hammock camping until a few years ago when a "hammock fad" hit the area. A bunch of trees got girdled and had to be taken out because of improper hammock use. We didn't ban hammocks but the agency decided on giving warnings or fines to people who use ropes instead straps or do other things to hurt the tree.

You are not the only person in the woods. Natural resources are not infinite. And acting like a dick forces land management agencies to create newer and more annoying laws.
>>
>>1018237
The Iroquois used to strip bark trees 10 ft high of bark, and they survived.

But a couple hippies killed your trees? Sounds like you over reacted. If your story is true.
>>
>>1018245
once it goes through the bark it starts going through the wood you idiot, and not all trees can survive even that. Depending on the tree, even marking a tree with a knife for reference could end up killing it if you go too deep or too big.
>>
>>1018245

Here's the problem with arguing with someone like you: you really have no idea how stupid you sound.
>>
>>1018245

It's not the bark, it's pressure applied to the vascular tissue of the tree as well as damage to the cambium.
Basically the xylem and phloem collapse and the tree can no longer move water from the roots or sugars from the crown past the point where the tree was girdled.
The cambium is a thin layer under the bark where diameter growth occurs. If crushed it takes a few years to recover.

It is possible to remove bark from a tee without damaging the vascular tissue or cambium layer.
>>
>>1018254
lol. anon btfo so hard he ran and hid from invisible strangers.
>>
>>1018248
This guy thinks cutting trees kill them
>>1018252
This guy just calls me stupid
>>1018254
This guy atleast has the decency to make shit up, although it is complete bullshit. Destroying the cabrium stops growth, its why all the trees in florida are bigger on the west side. And there is little to no proof that hammock camping with ropes vs straps makes a difference. Straps don't strip bark bit still compress the tree.

But of course my scepticism is shilling and your anecdotal models are true science. Where have i heard this before.

Eventually, when we find out ropes don't kill trees you will call it tree chage.
>>
>>1017303
too stretchy
>>
>>1017367
Just buy the eno straps. Its not a lot and they make life easy.

Worth the tiny investment if your planning on using the hammock a lot.
>>
>>1018245
Only certain species can take that, and it still leaves them as easier targets for disease vectors.
>>
>>1018400

Yeah, You're a tard or trolling. When I sober up in the morning I'll pull some references explaining why you're full of shit.

Honestly, I've dealt with enough people like you IRL. I know that this is some sort of "high test/manliness/murica" power play. It is immature and makes you look dumb.

Why is it so hard to respect nature? I've been living in the woods and doing /out/ related jobs for a while. I don't litter or damage the environment. I'm pretty redneck myself. I fish, camp, cut my own firewood, drink shit beer and smoke shit cigs.

Do you you feel manly by just shitting on a resource that others enjoy? Do you get a fucking boner when you litter and hurt trees?

I don't get it.
>>
File: Deal_With_It.jpg (47KB, 500x504px) Image search: [Google]
Deal_With_It.jpg
47KB, 500x504px
>>1018520
I agree with this gentleman.

>>1018400
You're still fucking stupid.
>>
>>1018520
Great scientific rebutal about how ropes are worse than straps on the health of trees
>>1018520
Nice upvote

Look. If you idiots provide me a shred of evidence that rope hammock camping is worse than strap hammock camping maybe i will beleive you.

But being an actual outdoorsman and seeing a tree completely eat a rope,i think you're full of shit.
>>
>>1018546

Being a forester who has seen more trees than you ever will in your life I think you're full of shit. I get paid $40k a year just to know about trees. Started my career as a ranger and then moved on to private industry after I got my degree,

Like I said, I'll provide links explaining the science in the morning, You probably won't read them. But I don't care, you are a shit human being who doesn't care about the land around you.
>>
>>1018558
Oh please forester. Please provide me links to shit i learned about im 10th grade and saw growimg up om the gulf coast.
Show me how.constricting one side of a tree will kill it, but only if it is done by rope not strap.

I wait with baited breath for you to prove me wrong and show me scientific studies on how ropes kill trees. When anyone who ever went into a hunter camp or a river tree swing has clearly seen that trees grow around and absorb ropes.
>>
>>1018561

'Preciate that.

I guess suck my swollen and crusty cock? Clearly even if I give you links you won't care.

So I'll take a moment to type horrendous things at you because its funny.

May you forever lick my shit encrusted anus and be forced to complete Morning's End Part II on OSRS until you die.

Do you feel satisfied that you have won? Will you ejaculate harder the next time you're in the woods?
>>
>>1018565
I never called you names. I merely said you have no facts. And you promise facts tomorrow.
>>
The truth will come out... Tomorow
Is this guy a liar
We'll find out...
Tomorrow
>>
>>1018561
Not the forester but...
https://www.pubs.ext.vt.edu/430/430-210/430-210.html
>>
A quick Google will give you thousands of pages on why you shouldn't be a tard, grow up you fucking idiot.
>>
>>1017478

I also have this hammock, and can confirm it's much better on a flatter hang.
>>
>>1018441

suggesting a heavier more expensive suspension over the lighter and cheaper and superior whoopie sling + poly webbing combo.

why?
>>
>>1017298

Hammock straps. Generally cheaply designed, or expensive as hell. However, you can get the same material cut to length at a hardware store, and there's different widths.
>>
>>1017298
Tree Huggers, Anon. I've been using them in my hammocking kit for years. Easy to deploy and take down, and do the job well. Can't see myself using anything else. Still using the first pair I purchased. Hope that helps!
>>
>>1019106
Convenience, since you can find them literally everywhere.

And the weight difference is minimal.
>>
>>1017298
>>1017464
>>1017620
>>1018183
>>1019195
>>1019193
>>1019106

Whoopie slings are way overkill. you also don't need any commercial solution, carabiner or anything else than straps.
See in the other thread >>1019301
>>
>>1019303
How are whoopie slings overkill? They are light as shit and adjustable to I dont have to redo a knot 30 times to find a good tension for my hammock as one side streches out.

That and they are like 5 dollars for premade ones or can be woven in like 15 minutes with whatever rope you want, to whatever size you want.
>>
>>1019303
Do not listen to this person. He is uninformed.

Whoopie slings are extremely popular. They are easy to use, very light, and pretty cheap.
>>
>>1019198
ENO atlas straps weigh over 4 times as much as a whoopie sling set up.

Atlas straps are 11.7 oz and that's not even including the weight of the carabiners needed.

whoopie sling kit from dutchware is 2.7 oz with everything needed to hang.

The Atlas straps also take up 4 times the space of the whoopie slings.
>>
>>1017598
are you for real man?
>>
>>1019383
>I dont have to redo a knot 30 times
With a good ridgeline and a little bit of experience, you get the knot right the first time.
Even if I have to redo it, I still need to run around the hammock to adjust each side, even with woopie slings. With the right knot you're just as fast as with whoopie slings, but have two links in your chain of possible failures (and things to remember while packing) less.

>with whatever rope you want
nope. The rope has to be spliceable, so it can't have a core and must be able to extend outwards when compressed. You can't do that with every rope.

>>1019385
I've made whoopie slings myself and used them for some time but found no added comfort and even though they are light, it did not reduce the weight of my pack.
>>
>>1019387
The people who will notice 9oz on a hammock setup are the ones who'll take the effort to get or make whoopie slings.

Also the Atlas straps replace treehuggers so unless you're using super short super thin treehuggers and a marlinspike knot its really about a 4oz difference.
>>
>>1019923
The whoopie sling kit I mentioned includes tree huggers and titanium hardware. That 2.7 oz suspension is everything you need to hang with.

So,including the ENO carabiners needed for the atlas straps, there's a significant weight difference. The atlas straps are 500% heavier including carabiners.
>>
>>1019948
And again, the people who give a shit about less than a pound of weight difference in a hammock setup aren't gonna be buying the first suspension system they stumble across at REI or Academy. I'm not arguing for Atlas straps (or anything Eno), just saying I understand why people who put low effort into their setups would choose the low effort option.
>>
>>1019948
So after spending a considerable amount of time on Dutchwares website, the absolute lightest complete suspension I can get from them is their Whoopie Hook kit, which with the titanium hooks, 4ft treehuggers, 7/64ths whoopie slings, no continuous loops (on the assumption they're integral to a gathered end hammock and not really part of the suspension), and titanium dutch buckles it's 4.9oz, not 2.7oz.

It's also $56.45.

So if I'm missing something, provide a link. But I get the feeling you're blowing smoke.
>>
>>1019964

The 2.7 ounces is WITH the continuous loops added. Since you aren't adding them it's actually 2.5 oz total, not 2.7 oz.

The Dutch clips are not needed. Atlas straps having nothing like them, and you whoopie hook suspension doesn't need them either.

The 2.5 oz suspension would be with 4ft Kevlar huggers, no continuous loops, and no Dutch clips. $53

For $37 you can have polyester straps for 1 oz heavier
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (331KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
331KB, 1200x1200px
Hey lads opie here, everything went better than expected desu, I found a couple yards of 5/8 webbing in the trash that is almost new so I'm all set.
>>
How do you even tie or setup the hammock on the tree?
I have never set one up before.
>>
serious question here; what is the difference between straps and a thicker rope? I currently use the rope, have both ends tied together forming a loop and all I do is loop around a tree, stick knotted end through loop and boom.

how is that rope setup any different friction/harm to the tree than with straps? no knots on the tree, no marks after?

I ask because I have both but find the looped rope way easier to work with and secure. if an anon has a good answer/reason i will gladly switch methods
>>
File: 20170523_170524-1.jpg (474KB, 1867x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170523_170524-1.jpg
474KB, 1867x1836px
I use a carabiner and 2 climbing rings. It works well enough for me, easy set up. Only gets a little difficult to adjust when the hammock to fully taut.
>>
>>1018139
I bet you're the same type of person who's throwing a fit about Trump selling national land.
>>
>>1021569
There are several ways as you can see from the thread. The most basic way would be to just lash your rope around the tree
>>
>>1021808
Even thick rope puts all the weight of the hammock on a relatively small area. Webbing distributes it more even.

Hanging a hammock once on a tree will usually not do much damage, and some tress you could hang multiple times from without a problem.

The problem becomes when lots of people start using rope. Every place where it's popular to camp starts to have rope around the trees leaving progressively worse damage. Just one person swaying back and forth in a hammock can ruin a section of bark. If everyone used ropes, hammocks would be banned more and more places.

So just use webbing, contribute to the greater good, and keep hammocking from being banned.

Also, webbing is less likely to slip down the tree.
>>
File: hammock_basics_new.gif (103KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
hammock_basics_new.gif
103KB, 612x792px
Posting in relevant thread. What are the best brands for hammocks?
ENO seems decent but I've also heard good things about REI.
Pic somewhat unrelated
>>
>>1022682
ENo and REI hammocks are both shit teir hammocks selling for 10x what they are actually worth, read some of this thread >>1013038, the last hammock thread. lots of good hammocks are posted and almost ALL of them are cheaper than enos or REIs. I mean, you can even get bargain bin parachute hammocks that are better or similar quality for like 20$ on amazon if your a lazy casual.
>>
>>1021821
What's up with that anyway? Seems like a universally deplorable move. Can someone explain what's defensible about it?
>>
>>1017298
Hammock question!
I'm going to be backpacking with the superior ultralight hammock, BUT-- how do you all protect your belongings and self at night? I'm all set on everything but being a female solo traveler, I'm a bit worried about nighttime. How do I protect my shit?
INB4 bear spray. Need something preemptive.
>>
Whats a basic setup to get me gong with hammocks? Just want to test it out to see if i'ts something i'd want to jump in on over my tent
>>
>>1026722
Same precautions as using a tenr, hammocks with a tarp are no more dangerous than a tent.

At least in a hammock you can quickly jump out and be on your feet. In a tent you have to climb out of your sleeping bag, unzip the tenr, and then crawl on your hands and knees out the door. With a hammock and top quilt, you literally ji1st sit up, and stand up.

Bear spray will deter any 4 or 2 legged creature should the need arise. Only carry a firearm of you're extremely well practiced in its use. If you do need to use the gun, it's incredibly hard to hit anything if you're stressed and inexperienced.

Keep your food hung away from camp in a bear bag. Keeps annoying little critters away too.
>>
>>1026734
>what's a basic setup to get me going with hammocks
A hammock you fuckin tard
>>
>>1024847
It's defensible because the people know and care better how to manage property. There isn't a single government agency not corrupt. At least with a private owner there is a chance
>>
>>1027256
Wrong. You need at least three to switch back and forth as none will perform as well as a Walmart tent
>>
>>1026750
I was thinking more thieves or night weirdos. where do I securely store my one backpack with all my shit while I'm asleep in a hammock?
>>
>>1017298
On the dutchware website all the customization is throwing me off. I had an ENO hammock in the past, but I wanted to get a camo pattern.

Do I need a second layer of fabric? Is it more comfy?
Should I get camo treehuggers separate?
Whats the diff between multicam and regular camo?
Argon vs Hexon?

I know the opinion of camo around here but I don't like being noticed when sleeping. Eno has camo, but I've heard dutchware is better and lighter.
>>
File: hammocks.jpg (83KB, 1193x511px) Image search: [Google]
hammocks.jpg
83KB, 1193x511px
Opinions on these? I'm looking to buy a hammock for my backyard, I'm in Australia by the way if the prices look odd
>>
>>1028381
look at the fabric material; avoid nylon, taffeta, 'parachute material', and look for canvas or something else idk. just not nylon. it sags
>>
>>1028387
thanks
>>
>>1019914
What exactly did you not like about the whoopie slings. I love em they cut my setup time in half.
>>
>>1028377
The suspension setup I came to like is. 1 inch 6ft webbing with a toggle(I bought the titanium ones they sell but you can use a stick or what ever you want) plus whoopie slings. That's it super light, quick to set up and easy to adjust.

I'm not sure if they sell an asymmetrical design, But I would get that. A double bottom is useless by itself. Its meant to hold an insulating layer like a thermorest pad. So if you plan to use an under quilt don't get it.
>>
File: 34282048.jpg (295KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
34282048.jpg
295KB, 500x500px
>>1028381
>I'm in Australia by the way if the prices look odd
order one directly from china (via ebay)
>>
So I went ahead and ordered a Warbonnet Ridgerunner when it was on sale last week. I know shit about hammocks. I'm gonna need a tarp and quilts to go with it right? Should I just get an underquilt from Warbonnet since they make one just for it?

What is the difference between a top quilt and a sleeping bag?
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.