[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i hope this is the right bord for my question... i'd really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_3599.jpg (87KB, 600x588px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3599.jpg
87KB, 600x588px
i hope this is the right bord for my question...
i'd really like to get into climbing, but i have no idea how. i know nobody who climbs and i don't even know if you have to absolve some courses first, belong to some clubs or if you can just go to climbing routes and try for yourself?
anybody here can give me some bloody beginner infos?
>>
>>1017170
join a gym, join a club, or start bouldering, and make friends.
>>
>>1017170
Find a climbing gym in your area, OP. Start bouldering. Great fun and safe.
>>
Most gyms I've been to will have staff help you climb some of the bigger walls, they're called a belay. Where are you right now OP? And bouldering is a great start and like most physical activities climbers are more than willing to answer any questions you have when you show up.
>>
File: Fred-BeckeyW700.jpg (153KB, 700x892px) Image search: [Google]
Fred-BeckeyW700.jpg
153KB, 700x892px
Do image related on California State Highway 120
>>
>>1017170
Go to the closest climbing gym and go bouldering. Climbers are super nice and will help you out. I've been climbing 5 years and my wife and I travel and live in a van and climb.
>>
>>1017193
Bouldering is not safe. Having said that, don't let it discourage you. Be careful.
>>
>>1017343
> h-h-h-hey man im g-going to camp four
>>
>>1017530
True. 87% of rock gym injuries happen bouldering. Just learn how to land and do low balls first.
>>
If there's any decent rock in your immediate area then there's likely a climbing club that offers beginners classes.

Also don't run out and buy a bunch of expensive gear before getting a taste for the sport, rent stuff when you're getting started.
>>
>>1017170
What kind of hold is that?what is she resting? Where can she go from there?

Im not a pro by any means but i climbed in hs and college. And that just looks like im trying to fall teir.
>>
>>1018374
Cont
Oh unless the pic is sideways and the rope is 45 degrees.
>>
Today after doing a 10km hike I found this climbing wall/granite boulder and decided to give it a try. I took an easy route and was pretty sweet, it was like 10m tall only though.

Anyway the place had rappel anchors, unfortunately I don't own any gear otherwise I would try doing it in the future. Also there was no one there.
>>
>>1018374
>>1018376
no, she just fucking cranks. pulled hard .13s back in the 80s/90s.
>>
>>1018382
I see her knee cocked in a perfect rock. But nothing is flexed. There is no way that girl is negative degrees.
>>
>>1018391
ignorant, or troll?

i'll be optimistic and answer honestly: she's hanging off her left arm. great rest position. flexed is a quick road to pumped out.
>>
>>1018396
Her left arm isn't even locked. You mean her right? Which is her only tensed sytem.

Hey i could be wrong i haven't sport climbed in years and my last clbimv coach, ssgt asshole, just shouted "fucking do it sapper" as my motivation.

But to me, that looks like she is standing on a ledge, right arm hang for support, camera tilted.
>>
>>1018403
look at how her draws are hanging dipshit. camera's level.
>>
>>1017187
>this

You don't have to be good, just join a club and if they are not all elitist cunts then it will be easy to make friends.

Try going to bouldering gyms first, as all you need to have is a pair of shoes. When I started climbing a few years back this is what I did and very quickly I made friends and acquired gear.

Another thing to keep in mind is that you should be very wary of buying any secondhand gear (particularly ropes and draws). This stuff needs to keep you safe so don't try to save money by buying shitty old gear.

Have fun and be safe Anon.
>>
>>1017170

So, I tackled this same conundrum recently, with a heaping helping of ever-present social anxiety to boot. Here's my experience:

I had no idea what to do. I have some friends who climb that I work with, but they are very busy and really didn't seem keen on taking me when I dropped hints. I didn't want to push the issue because I always worry about being a burden and ruining people's experience.

So I stumbled across my local Mountaineering club, and they do classes.

There's no 'certification' or anything but they did give us 4 solid days of instruction and experience. Basically we did a short indoor session of what's what, then just practiced different techniques and anchors at two different climbing areas. You basically need to learn five things to start:

>What the types of equipment are
>How to do 'buddy checks'
>How to belay and communicate
>How to build anchors safely
>How to use basic climbing techniques

So, I was really happy with the class because it absolved me of any guilt of messing up someone's climbing day. But having all the people around was kind of stressful. Especially since I wasn't (still am not) very good at any of it. This was the first outdoor activity that's really challenged me. Like, backpacking is fine, mountain biking I do OK at, shooting I'm OK at...but figuring out climbing kicks my ass.

I actually had this big existential crisis of sorts over the matter. Between the level of socialization involved and the fact I wasn't picking it up as fast as some I almost quit the class. But, I made myself finish it.

It's not my favorite sport; I really only took this to get my feet wet for a mountaineering school next Spring. But I'm going to keep at it because it really is challenging to me.

Lastly, the class introduced me to people to climb with, the most important part, because you need a belayer. This was actually the most challenging part for me since I'm so introverted. But we are already working on plans to climb together.
>>
>>1019861
Anyway, sorry that got long winded...this was a huge experience for me.

You will need a harness, shoes, a helmet and some carabiners to start. Look for a 'climbing club' or a 'mountaineering club' in your area. I had to drive a ways for mine. Failing that, try a rock gym. But if you are like me, the structured setting of the class is helpful because the instructors are there with the purpose of teaching you so you don't feel like you're putting anyone out.

Lastly, take the whole ethics thing seriously. Anyone who is serious enough about this sport to teach it seems to respect you more if you show some care for leave no trace, avoiding disruption of wildlife, leaving places cleaner etc. and those are good connections to have. Theres tons of people out there just shitting all over climbing areas with trash and graffiti and these clubs do a lot of work to try and keep them open to the public.
>>
>>1017170
>absolve

I absolve you of your courses, go climb.
Oh and finish middle school english.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.