[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>2017 >not eating Clif bars while backpacking >pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 9

File: image.jpg (328KB, 1731x991px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
328KB, 1731x991px
>2017
>not eating Clif bars while backpacking

>pic related, getting my food ready for my trip
>>
File: IMG_1691.jpg (134KB, 900x883px)
IMG_1691.jpg
134KB, 900x883px
>>1016946
>not simply taking a jar of peanut butter and gummy bears
Get on my level, fag
>>
File: amerifat.jpg (62KB, 552x419px) Image search: [Google]
amerifat.jpg
62KB, 552x419px
>>1016948
>gummy bears
>>
>>1016946
Cliff bars get old quick. I used to absolutely love them, now they make me sick. The cliff crunch are orgasmic tho.
>>1016950
Blood sugar though. My gf is hypoglycemic.
>>
>>1016946
just take snickers, for fuck's sake. they're cheaper, more delicious, and basically the same ratio of calories:sugar:protein:fat. and there's damn near as much variety
>original
>almond
>peanut butter
>crunch
>hazelnut
>>
>>1016946
>look like turds
>require a quart or more of water to choke down
>not even all that calorie dense compared to powerbars and such
Besides, there's only like 2 flavors I like.

Also.
>Stinger honey waffle
>same calorie content as a clif bar
>significantly lighter
>tastes better
>>
>>1016958
See >>1016950
>>
>>1016958
this fucking guy gets it. Snickers are the ultimate /out/ food. Look at a thru hiker 2000 miles into the trail, bet your ass he doesn't have a single cliff bar in that pack, but hundreds of snickers.
>>
>>1016946
>Shilling for cliff
>On /out/
Shills seriously need to meet the rope.
>>
>>1016946
How much does that cost? I feel like energy bars are pretty overpriced for what you're getting.

I just pack GORP or one of the thousand variants as my snack.
>>
>>1016950
>>1016968
>muh junkfood
nah. i think backpacking over 12000' passes gives me the caloric cushion to eat a candybar or two.
>>
>>1016946
I was low on water and cliff bars plugged up my butthole on my last 2 days of camping
>>
>>1016946
After eating enough of these, I got totally burnt out on Clif bars. I can barely eat them anymore without gagging unless I can wash them down with water.

>>1016948
This is equally stupid as the OP. At least he can sort of mix things up with the different flavor bars. Taking two ingredients like this will just make you get sick of those foods when that's all you can taste and your body wants actual nutrition. Now if you were just supplementing real meals with candy and adding peanut butter to other foods, that would be a plan I could get behind. Who the fuck eats peanut butter right out of the jar? Are you still in high school?

>>1016950
>>1016968
Stupid comment. Backpacking is a high calorie consumption activity, and your body reacts differently to hunger and thirst at high elevations. Candies are commonly recommended to supplement a base diet of proteins and carbohydrates because they both provide instant energy and also can make you hungrier (a good thing after a long day of hiking at elevation).

>>1016958
Snickers are good for instant energy, but I've found that they really aren't designed as good outdoors food. For one, they have a lot of chocolate in them, which melts and gets everywhere - not great when you're in bear country. For two, when it does get cold in the night and they freeze, they are harder to eat than other bar foods. Clif bars taste horrible to me, but I do acknowledge that they are DESIGNED in many ways to be good outdoors food.

>>1016967
>>1017007
These guys get it.

>>1016971
>Look at a thru hiker 2000 miles into the trail, bet your ass he doesn't have a single cliff bar in that pack, but hundreds of snickers.
This is completely inaccurate and ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with Clif bars. The insane thing that people are commenting on is the fact that the OP seems to ONLY be eating Clif bars.

>>1016973
>>1017014
Kys.

>>1016975
Not him, but you can find Clif bars for about $1 per bar at most grocery stores or Trader Joes.
>>
File: 1494997520611.png (587KB, 650x617px) Image search: [Google]
1494997520611.png
587KB, 650x617px
>>1016946
>2017
>not eating hardtack
Spoiled nu-males
>>
>>1017029
Looks like baked vomit desu senpai
>>
>>1017029
I have a theory that more than half the LARPers who fantasize about hardtack are only interested in it because of the reference to something like hardtack in Lord of the Rings. How close am I?
>>
>>1017025
>the fact that the OP seems to ONLY be eating Clif bars
Nothing wrong with that.
>>
>>1017025
>different flavour bars
Anon, they all taste the same, only difference is the nutritional content - some have more unsaturated fat and protein than others.
>>
>>1017029
>not eating your own artesianal pemmican
>>
>>1016946
do you boo boo

i take a few cliff bars, a few paydays (no melty chocolate like snickers), and trailmix components that i continuously open and add to a larger ziploc. this way my trail mix is always changing.
for meals i roll with green-noodle ramen, salami or summer sausage, and if i can spare the weight about half a dozen apples. i can forage pretty well so i can usually find easy roughage. i also bring ground coffee n make it cowboy style in my pot; kinda nice for getting rolling in the AM and pinchin out a good BM.

i could probably save over 1lb if i dropped all the hot food/drink, pot, and stove, but it's so comfy...
i also bring candy just to nibble on round the fire and gain calories

my ultralight loadout is not my usual. i generally like comforts and redundancies
>>
>>1017085
> a few paydays (no melty chocolate like snickers)
I'd never thought of taking paydays instead of snickers. I might make the switch next time I go /out/
>>
>>1017054
The problem I ran into is I got so burned out on the taste that I can't eat them anymore.

>>1017055
The texture and dryness is the same, but there are some highlights in the flavors. It's possible to mix things up a little bit.
>>
>>1016971
>>1016958
I kinda like payday. No melty chocolate, more peanuts. The macronutrient ratios are better.

Also those Mexican nut bars that are basically mega cheap kind bars or those sesame seed honey bars. Great way to pack light cheap healthy(ish) calories.
>>
>>1016946
>Clif bars
i prefeer maggots
>>
>>1017025
>they have a lot of chocolate in them, which melts and gets everywhere
>>1017085
>a few paydays (no melty chocolate like snickers)
>>1017158
>I kinda like payday. No melty chocolate, more peanuts
to each his own. i've never had a problem with chocolate getting everywhere, but if you have a solution you like more power to you.

>>1017025
>when it does get cold in the night and they freeze, they are harder to eat than other bar foods
frozen candy bars are delicious. i sometimes throw them in the fridge when i get them at home.

>>1017036
lembas bread is nothing like hardtack. i always imagine it as more like shortbread with anise seeds in it.
>>
>>1016946
And to think I thought humans needed protein in order to survive

...might as well have brought pop tarts
>>
>>1017212
10g of protein in each Clif bar. What are you talking about?
>>
>>1017220
>eating 20 cliff bars a day

Buy tuna.
>>
>>1017226
>Getting 400% of the typical daily value of protein only from your snacks

Of course you should also bring other food. When did I say you shouldn't?
>>
>>1017234
Have you seen the OP post?

>400% daily value
Are you 50lbs?
>>
>>1017237
>typical daily value
Can you not read? Or are you just not familiar with the word "typical"?

My point was that they have a good amount of protein for snack food, but they should obviously not be all you eat.
>>
>>1016946
That picture has over $100 in it just in CLIF Bars.
Nice bike btw.
>>
>>1017242
>inactive daily value
Vs
>active daily value

Do you take a golf cart /out/?
>>
>>1017177
underrated
>>
>>1017036
Making a fresh batch today so I've got a snack at work with my coffee. Try it. Costs next too nothing if you make a batch and don't like it.
>>
You'd get enough calories from eating Clif bars but you need micronutrients too.

I'm gonna go on my first multi day hike this summer and I'm planning my menu.
>>
>>1017197
>lembas bread is nothing like hardtack. i always imagine it as more like shortbread with anise seeds in it.
The fact that you have thought about it kind of proves me right.
>>
>>1017328
Over the relatively short period of time that most outdoor trips last, it's not going to kill anyone if they just eat Clif bars or any other source of calories.
>>
>>1016946
learn to greentext, newfag.
>>
File: fatman.jpg (71KB, 591x562px) Image search: [Google]
fatman.jpg
71KB, 591x562px
>>1017031
DESU SENPAI, KAWAII NIHON ARIGATO KAMIKAZE KATANA DAIHATSU GENKI, ANON-KUN.
>>
>>1016946
After eating only Clif bars every day for a month I can no longer eat Clif bars.
>>
>>1016948
That pic made me audibly kek
>>
>>1017328
For routine outings you can get by just fine without a balanced diet. Even going several weeks, taking literally a single men's multivitamin a week will cover your needs.
>>
>>1017495
>I have read a book
>that means I'm an elfaboo
Its described in the book and doesn't sound like hardtack.

>>1017057
Underrated.
>>
File: 108105[1].jpg (38KB, 243x440px) Image search: [Google]
108105[1].jpg
38KB, 243x440px
New nut butter filled clifs have renewed my respect for the brand

Peanut Toffee Buzz
White Chocolate Macadamia
Mint Chocolate
all best flavors

One time a bum asked me for change so he could get a bite, all I had was a blueberry crisp Clif. So I gave it to him and he complained that it was the worst flavor and turned it down. The bums in my town are so fucking spoiled I swear after that I never gave a dime nor a cracker to one of those smelly bastards again
>>
>>1018995
SOUNDS LIKE ME ON A FRIDAY NIGHT WOCKA WOCKA WOCKA

Yeah anyway same here. I offered to buy a homeless dude whatever he wanted at Dennys because I didn't have any cash and he said no.
>>
File: IMG_4118.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4118.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>1016946
These Gatorade Bars are bretty gud... but I get them for free and I don't get Clif Bars for free.

>>1019001
>>1018995
Kek. Good job. I refuse to give bums money anymore. If it's a Friday and I just got paid, I would gladly buy them some McD's. But I have tried to explain it before, the majority of the bums around here are drug addicts and by giving them cash so they can buy drugs, you are just enabling them and only prolonging their suffering. They will never get clean and become productive members of society if people keep giving them money so they can continue to get drunk and high.
>>
>>1019013
Those are absolutely god tier
>>
>>1019013
I'll have to try them.
I'm not a fan of white chocolate, vanilla, or dried fruit, so that clears out like 80% of cliff bars.
Are they the kind you have to drink a gallon of water with?
>>
File: mars-bar-620x349.jpg (47KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
mars-bar-620x349.jpg
47KB, 620x349px
Are clif bars crunchy or soft, almost melty like mars?
>>
>>1019043
Depends, but most of the ones I've had are like Soft granola bars.
>>
>>1019028
Nah. Get the chocolate caramel ones or the peanut butter. It's like a candy bar but fills you up really good. I love taking em to work because I run around all day in the heat and don't want to eat a big meal and those hit the spot.
>>
>>1019067
What do you recommend, I really dislike hard, crunchy energy bars.
>>
>>1019185
Personal favorites are the peanut butter one and the chocolate chip.
They have kind of a weird aftertaste like most energy bars do, at least to me, just a FYI.
>>
I think OP trolled us.

I take a few Protein Pucks. I sell them in my vending systems so I just grab some out of inventory. But they are similar to clif bars in that you need about 9 gallons of water to eat one after the first two bites.
>>
>>1017328
Unless your going out for >2 weeks you don't need to worry about nutrition, just need calories!
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.