[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats the best animal to deal with rodents, but also won't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

Whats the best animal to deal with rodents, but also won't fuck up my local rabbit/squirrel population and chase away game like turkeys etc...?

I'm living in an older house on a decent size farm, but mouse traps and the like just aren't doing enough. I'd just go get 2 barn cats, but I've got a really healthy population of rabbits on the place, along with some good turkey hunting etc... and I'd rather have mice than fuck that up.

Anyone have any experience with this? Also I'd post this on /an/ but it's more /out/ imo and /an/ is full of fags anyways.
>>
My #1 recommendation would be to contact a licensed animal rehabilitator. If it's just mice, corn snakes and small owls may be the best bet. Both may have a go at baby bunnies or birds, but that's virtually unavoidable, even with a snake as small as a corny. Still, passionate rehabilitists know their animals and I suspect they'd welcome a person with land willing to take something. BTW, corn snakes are very mild mannered. Now if you have rats, that complicates things.
>>
BTW, are the mice getting in the house, barn, feed, what exactly?
>>
Shane woods
>>
>>1016169
A small well trained cat with a bell collar to minimize bird losses.
>>
Bad ass cat or two
>>
>>1016190
Shawn Woods
>>
>>1016249
Rolling log bucket trap.
>>
>>1016176
Birds might work I'll look into it. I made pallet brush heaps for the rabbits which works great against dogs or birds, but cats and smaller predators can get into them im sure. Will a corn snake go after full grown rabbits?

I've caught a few mice inside but it's nothing bad, but my hay/pull barns and chicken coop are another story.
>>
>>1016298
Probably this or a species specific poison.
>>
>>1016298

Came here to say this.

https://youtu.be/6SIlYiiCGLI
>>
>>1016169
If you do get a cat get a female, they don't patrol a teritory nearly the size a tom cat does so should pose less of a threat to the local game.

>>1016549
These bucket traps work very well in my experience and there are alot of ways to improvise one. Peanut butter is the best bait for rodents, they love the stuff.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l2Pyu-Cj0gg
>>
>>1016169
Guinea fowl.
>>
>>1016298
>>1016549
Likewise. I fucking hate cats.
>>
>>1016169
terriers and traps, cats are gonna fuck up your local small game population no matter what.

if you see a cat on your property shoot it as well, do everyone a favor.
>>
Don't release any non local species so the corn snake is out the question. Try set up housing and nests for prey birds and local snakes and attract them to the property
>>
>>1016169
A well-behaved dog?
>>
>>1016978
How do they know where to dig for rats?
>>
File: IMG_20170212_152731.jpg (2MB, 1728x3072px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170212_152731.jpg
2MB, 1728x3072px
>>1016169
Get some rat terriers
Those rats will be fucking gone in a week
>>
File: download.jpg (13KB, 220x183px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 220x183px
How has nobody posted this yet?
>>
>>1016169
bigger rats
>>
>>1016169
A falcon you plebs.
>>
>>1018514
This isn't a kinoplex.
>>
>>1017917

They do a ground based radar survey first
>>
Too bad you can't get cats. My outdoor cats kill about 2-3 of those shitheads a day.
>>
>>1017045
if you see a cat on your property shoot it as well, do everyone a favor.

Second this.
>>
>>1019971
fuck you mang
>>
There's a documentary about rats in Netflix. Best part is when a group of twenty or so cute adorable terriers go tear-assing around a farm ripping up rats. They be two or three on each rat and literally tear it apart. It's fucking brutal.
>>
Skunks. I used to shoot them on sight, but since I stopped I have noticed the mouse population has fallen substantially.

Alternatively, chickens and turkeys birth will eat mice if you let them run.
>>
>>1016169
Get a human. They are pretty crafty.
>>
The whole meme about cats being the best domesticated pet rodent killer needs to end. Cats, when well fed, are often not interested in killing rodents. They may toy with them, but many will just get set free when they're bored of playing with them and they'll also go after and injure other wildlife. They won't kill every rodent they see.

Rat terriers are the real rat killers.
>>
>>1021300
My cats get fed twice a day with wet food and they kill 1-2 mice a night, plus several moles a week.

One of my cats also killed a raccoon. Pretty impressive.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.