[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>a fucking heat reflector >made out of wood do americans

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 8

>a fucking heat reflector
>made out of wood

do americans unironically do this?
>>
>>1013568
It helps.
>>
>>1013568

Should be have gone to the nearest aluminum tree to gather his resources?
>>
I'd imagine the pile of fairly thick logs would hold up for a couple of hours and thus do their job adequately
>>
>>1013577
>>1013581
Wood does not reflect heat at all, at best it only turns the warm air flow up to the sky. If you insist on building something so stupid, then at least take an actual heat reflecting blanket with you and put it on top of that shameful wall.
>>
what do you think houses are lol
>>
>>1013590

Have you made one similar to OP's pic to verify that ya fanny?
>>
>>1013568
>cutting a bunch of wood for no reason

do bushspergs unironically do this?
>>
imagine you have to sleep in the biwak and the wind is coming from the direction of the little wood wall. its not a reflector. /thread
>>
>>1013568
That looks like the kind of thing where the logs roll to the fire on their own.

Like an automatic feeder for the fire.

But I dunno.
>>
>>1013568
The way he has his tarp set up really bothers me. You can create a more stormproof shelter that has more covered floor space by just pitching it as if it were a roof.
>>
>>1013599

I'll happily verify that fanny
>>
>>1013618

>storm proof
>gaps around all sides

>>1013568

I just can't get over the waste of time and effort it would take to create that... unless you're staying for a while or it's snowing, why the fuck would you bother?
>>
>>1013570
it helps to blow wind only.
>>
>>1013599
It's science you dumb fucking millenial
>>
File: Emergency-blanket-features.jpg (385KB, 1766x693px) Image search: [Google]
Emergency-blanket-features.jpg
385KB, 1766x693px
>>1013568
I just use some Mylar emergency blankets and cordage. Like in these pics, minus the one actually on the guy. They are super cheap, super light, and very quick to install.
>>
>>1013658

It's obvious you don't know shit, you stupid nigger.
>>
>>1013692
Show me the science that it works, there is none.
>>
>>1013803

Your own experience should prove whether or not that is true. It's no use holding fast to dogmatic beliefs without trying anything.
>>
>>1013590
>American Education
>>
>>1013568
New Zealanders do this as well
Do yurocucks build heat reflectors with bricks out in the bush loooool
>>
>>1013568
Heat reflectors are for people who are too stupid to dress for the weather or build rock-lined firepits
>>
>>1013653
It's fun. When you're innawoods and wake up at 5am you have a lot of time to kill.
>>
>>1013568
to all you sperglords who never leave the wilderness of your troll caves for tendies...

high volume of moss on trees indicates lots of moisture. the ends of some of the wood look pretty dark which is a good indicator of moisture.

i'm a canadafag and this is something i do. it's not to reflect heat or block wind. i use the technique of stacking fuel sized pieces of wood beside the fire to dry them out. a really damp piece of fuel that size into a tiny fire will make the fire shrink and will take a while to start to burn. it'll shoot out steam and restrict the fire until it's dry enough to burn.
>>
>>1013825
My own experience proves it doesn't reflect heat, you fucking Muppet. It's been debunked several times by much smarter people than I.
>>
>>1013877
No, we either take a working heat reflector with us or do without. Wood don't send you infrared back.
>>
>>1013568
I'm sure it's better than nothing, it reflects a little bit and it blocks wind.

But if you want to use natural materials, set up camp next to a big rock. Stone reflects heat pretty good. Carrying mylar around for this purpose is silly.
>>
>>1013943
>my own experience
No you dumb faggot. You've never done this. Stop lying on the Internet
>>
>>1013950
It stops convection though
>>
>>1013653
>unless you're staying for a while or it's snowing, why the fuck would you bother?
I think the camp in the video was meant to be stayed at for a while, like a week+
>>
>>1013590
Blocks the wind normie
>>
>>1013679
/thread

>>1014044
It increases convection, but that isn't the point actually.

>>1014007
Different anon here. Logs don't reflect infrared radiation at all. That's general high school science right there. However, the log wall will help prevent wind from whisking away the heat very quickly. This slower zone of air movement will allow you to absorb more heat than normal since the local air will be slightly warmer. The larger and more complete the log wall is around the fire and you the more profound this effect will be.

This will increase convection since the local air will be warmer, but the net effect is that you get warmer.

If you combine this method with materials like >>1013679 you will get 90%+ reflected IR as well as warmer local air. It is exceptionally good for winter camping. The upside of >>1013679 is that you don't need to source tons of logs and setting it up is much much faster. That decrease in setup time may actually save your life if you are wet and stuck out in snow or generally cold weather. Exposure is no joke and those Mylar emergency blankets are ultra cheap and ultra light. You can fit a dozen of them inside your pocket, if they are folded properly.
>>
>>1014062
>wind from whisking away the heat very quickly.
Also known as convection.

Decreases heat convected to the outside, increases heat convected to the inside of the camp.
>>
Stealth could also be a reason ...
>>
>>1013590
all mass reflects heat
>>
sure the concept was to combine fuel, wind block, and heat reflector into one. would have felt triggered if he called it a clothesline too
>>
>>1014094
You think a black hole reflects heat? kys
>>
>>1014124
>gravity
>>
>>1014066
That's not convection. Convection is the rising of heat in a colder environment. The only way to slow that down is to build a circle. Building a wall only concentrates it which can make the fire burn hotter and faster. Wind that blows due to weather isn't convection.

>>1014094
gb2/high school/, kid.
>>
>>1014135
Convective heat transfer is the transfer of heat due to movement of fluids.
>>
File: 1333584068382.jpg (70KB, 500x627px) Image search: [Google]
1333584068382.jpg
70KB, 500x627px
>>1013568
Many of the ppl i see do this are british.

Youre a faggot btw.
>>
>>1013568
>ta bushcraft
>british
>>
>>1014135
you dont have any idea whats happening to the mass of the black hole because there is no recordings of a black hole LMFAO. all you know is that the gravity absorbs light
>>
aka, the refraction against the mass of a black hole isnt enough to escape the gravity to be observed. light is considered a dual particle, and thermodynamics says that any force that light exerts on another mass is met with equal and opposite force. aka, all mass reflects light

:)
>>
>>1014167
Replied to the wrong person? I'm not in that part of the thread.

>>1014137
Weather wind blowing away the heat has nothing to do with convection of heat from the fire. It is global weather convection.
>>
>>1013679
How many nights can you use em before they have to be tossed? I thought you could only use em 1-3 times
>>
>>1013936
Mr. Logical... pls go. This board is for armchair survivalists only!
>>
>>1014269
>I thought you could only use em 1-3 times
I've had one for years. I don't know where you got that info. I suppose you can't be a moron and do destructive things with them.
>>
>>1013679
they exist in different quality. the laminated plastic sheets come in different thicknesses, and the dollar store ones both rip easily and shed the mylar easily
>>
>>1014094
it might reflect some infrared it might heat up and radiate infrared at that distance you will not feel anything of it.
>>
>>1014329
>>1014269
If it is only used for the shelter and you are not wrapping it around you it will last for several seasons.
>>
et maeks smoke not go bai yew
>>
>>1013618
Dude set his shit up in a depression. You can literrally see the dried out mud beneath him where the rain water collects. If tarp-cuck moved his tarp back literraly 5 feet, he would be much happier when it rains.

P.S. He's surrounded by trees but he chooses to set his shit up with his hiking poles, thereby forcing an obstruction in his sleeping space? Fuck that.
>>
File: Hobo Lean-To.jpg (167KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Hobo Lean-To.jpg
167KB, 480x640px
>>1013568
His fire seems awfully far from where he's sleeping. Also, why make the wall 3 feet tall? Seems like overkill.

I've tried something similar a couple times. Once on a canoe trip where we found a great spot and just paddled back to it each day, I built a low (18") 3-sided wall next to my trench. Slept under a tarp within a foot of the fire and kept feeding it from the walls - was pretty comfy. The other time we were camping on my buddy's property and I built a lean-to. There were a couple pieces of bent sheet metal in the woods I rigged up as reflectors and then strung a mylar blanket up on the roof of the shelter. It got down to about 25f overnight and I was almost too hot. Pic related is the lean-to. Looked like shit, but tarp roof and garbage bag cut in half for sides all strung over a rickety "frame"... it worked and I had fun.
>>
>>1013590

Maybe he's drying out done damp wood as well as making a wind break.
>>
>>1014699
The wind is blowing in the other direction.
>>
>>1014702

That smoke looks pretty vertical to me, but whatever.
>>
>>1015173
It is traveling to the left of the photo, behind him.

What are you smoking?
>>
File: 1408618535921.png (168KB, 887x607px) Image search: [Google]
1408618535921.png
168KB, 887x607px
>>1013877
>New Zealanders do this as well
hahahahahahaha the Maoris maybe
>>
>>1014124
Black holes do actually emit stuff. Not from beyond the event horizon but super heated gas being flung out
>>
>>1015192

What if that's smoke coming from another fire just outside of the picture?
>>
>>1014124
Oh fuck you're right I'll just stop making heat reflectors out of the branches of fallen black hole trees
>>
>>1013590
It works as a wind break, all heat rises you fuck wit
>>
>>1015559
heat dissipates. hot air is less dense than cold air and rises

mors kochanski says to learn the 3/5 properties of heat to create shelters in the wild. insulation convection etc. the reflected heat from this break might be nominal, but ounces make lbs, and it serves an amount of different uses
>>
File: X on SCI.png (31KB, 694x968px) Image search: [Google]
X on SCI.png
31KB, 694x968px
>>1015406
>>1015426
>>1014124
>they think black holes actually exist
>>
>>1015426
This kills the man.
>>
File: 1367400500596.jpg (581KB, 1400x931px) Image search: [Google]
1367400500596.jpg
581KB, 1400x931px
>>1013653
>>storm proof
>>gaps around all sides
Stupid comment. The pitch can be adjusted lower, but the size of the roof does most of the work of blocking lightly wind-blown rain. At the very least, it's a lot more stormproof than the pitch shown in the OP, where the guy has almost no protected floor space. Pic related is also atrocious.

>>1014677
>Dude set his shit up in a depression. You can literrally see the dried out mud beneath him where the rain water collects. If tarp-cuck moved his tarp back literraly 5 feet, he would be much happier when it rains.
You are correct, but it's hard to find just the right photo on Google Images in a short amount of time to post to a thread on /out/. My own set up includes a pyramid tarp, so I can't go to my own photo library.
>>
>>1013568
Armchair /out/ist alert.
>>
>>1013568
That faggot lives in the UK you idiot
>>
>>1013599
>go outside

That cuts into my 4chan time
>>
>>1013596
Houses block the wind, not reflect the heat.
>>
>>1016592

Don't get pissy like a little girl, your shit got called out. Your pic was barely rain proof, let alone storm proof.

Ops pic would be fine when facing the correct way, whereas your pic had ingress on all fucking sides, you retard.
>>
>>1016592
>patch cam be adjusted

So if it actually starts blowing you have to repitch in the middle f the night? Fucking expert!
>>
>>1017111
Lots of problems with your post, but it's obvious that you haven't ever spent a night under a tarp, so I don't see the point arguing about it with you. I might as well talk to a wall.

>>1017113
Please don't samefag.
>>
>>1017119

All hail the king of tarps

You fucking idiot, enjoy being soaking wet in the middle of the night
>>
>>1017119

>I might as well talk to a wall

Because you have nothing to back up your argument with, eh?
>>
>>1017126
>>1017127
What did I tell you about samefagging?
>>
>>1013604
Nah, you just find dead and fallen trees.
>>
>>1017133

Holy shit son, grow up and get rid of the fedora
>>
>>1017133
Fuck off newfag
>>
>>1017923
Seriously
>>
>>1017923

Stfu newfag autist, what are you, like 12?
>>
>>1014094
Black holes don't you tard. I'm a girl btw
>>
>>1017133
Faggot
>>1017923
Faggot
You're actually the one samefagging
>>
>>1013936
This. I dont do that method but do have to dry wood in oregon...
>>
>>1013568
Jesus, please don't turn this into some US vs. EU thing. I'm European myself but this kind of attributing something you don't like to people of a country because "hurr dur I've seen an American do this on youtube so I guess they all do like this" is just childish and the reason why you rarely see any real discussions on /pol/, /b/ or /k/ or whatever.

FFS lots of people make these walls, not just Americans.

>>1013590
Anything warm will radiate heat waves. Just like a clear, stary night is colder than an overclouded one the wall helps to reflect heat that would otherwise have been lost. Even though wood doens't reflect as well, it absorbs the heat and thus warms up, radiating heat back, minus the loss that happens to the wind or is radiated to otherdirections.
Besides, it also blocks the wind and finally it makes the smoke more likely to flow towars the wall and up, because of the way the warm gases will rise and thus drag in new air from the sides. This air cannot (as much) come from the direction of the wall as from other directions leading to a chimney effect.
>>
>>1018411
we've already gone over this. go back to girl college
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.