[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm planning on hiking part of the Appalachian for a week

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

File: 202.jpg (63KB, 800x449px) Image search: [Google]
202.jpg
63KB, 800x449px
I'm planning on hiking part of the Appalachian for a week or so in June. Specifically the part in Georgia. Any advice?
>>
Bring condoms and booze

Pussy is everywhere bro

Have fun!!!
>>
>>1009992
Don't forget your solar charger and fully downloaded spotify account.

Nothing like full volume dubstep in the woods :)
>>
>>1010000
shit, i'm probably not even going to bring enough food, let alone my favorite dubstep records and skullcandy portable speaker.
>>
specific question, does anyone have recommendations for water filtration/purification?
>>
>>1010043
Hydrate yourself anally to avoid toxins and parasites
>>
>>1009992
yeah you should hike now while its still relatively mild and not 90f
>>
>>1010043
Lifestraw
>>
>>1010043
I recommend either a sawyer squeeze if you like to filter your water, or aquamira if you like to use chem treatment.
>>
>>1010071
I saw one at a gander going out of business sale today but I wasn't sure if it was just a meme
>>
>>1010134
It is absolutely even worse than a meme. They are not even worth a single penny.
>>
>>1009996
>>1010000
>>1010050
There was a time when /out/ was actually useful for advice, not just shitposting and trolling

take the shitposting to /b/
>>
>>1009992

figure out the places to stop and refill on water and food ahead of time.

if its a week just carry your food and reup at a mountain store if you really need to. i dont know about down south but along the north east parts there are a few places where there is places to buy some food and refill your water a at summit lodges or less than a mile off trial.

bring real bug spray. not the the fucking dainty traders joes perpermit citrus shit that you sploosh like perfume. real, this should be illegal continuous shit. june is buggy as fuck (at least in the northern part).
>>
>>1010515
maybe if op had asked a real question, instead of thinking anyone here would be impressed because he name dropped the at he would have received real answers.
>>
>>1010520
I found a list of water sources but they're all springs or creeks. I've never been /out/ long enough to need a refill.

I got that deet though.

>>1010537
maybe I should have clarified that i've never been on a real multi-day hike but I'm trying to make last minute plans because my road trip vacation plans fell through when my vehicle was stolen.. then you wouldn't think i was anonymously trying to impress anonymous strangers on the internet.
>>
>>1009992
don't go alone. People get raped/murdered on that trail all the time.
>>
>>1010043

You can buy tabs to filter out the water you get from streams.

I have my theory that water from rapids is usually alot cleaner though.
>>
>>1010657
>I've never been /out/ long enough to need a refill.
are you going alone?
>>
>>1009992
It's gonna be hot and sticky, stock up on water every chance you get. I recommend going all the way to Franklin NC. When you get there stay with Zen and he can help you get transportation back to whatever airport or bus station you need to get too. He will most likely let you stay for free if you offer to do some work. Plan on stopping for the night at Neels Gap, no matter how motivated you think you are a nice shower and a pizza is too good to miss up after a couple of days on the trail. Don't spend the night in Hiawasse it's not really worth it unless you already know Ron Haven. Don't worry about a bear cannister you won't need it just don't be a dumbass.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (557KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
557KB, 2048x1152px
>>1012115
>>1012199
Yes, I'm going alone but I'll be armed. I have hitch hiked across the country and people say that's dangerous, but nothing too crazy happened.

>>1012301
Thanks for the tips. Last night I was thinking about going all the way to Gatlinburg, TN. It's about the 200 mile/10 percent mark. That may be overly ambitious, but I've got 16 days off work.
>>
File: TOPKEK.jpg (4KB, 240x144px) Image search: [Google]
TOPKEK.jpg
4KB, 240x144px
>>1012338
>armed
lol. shitshow incoming
>>
>>1012338
You can hope for Gatlinburg, but 16 days is long enough to get to Franklin comfortably espically since you have mentioned that this is your first multi-day hike. If you go past Franklin buy your Smokies pass at the NOC don't wait and try to get it at Fontana. Get a sawyer squeeze it's the perfect size water filter for the AT. Don't take guns they are not needed and will weigh your pack down unnecessaryily.
>>
>>1012438
>>1012356
Don't listen to these guys.

You never need a gun, until you do.

Bring a gun everywhere always. Never don't have a gun. At church? Bring a gun. At a preschool? Bring a gun. At a gun range? Bring a gun. At the white house? Bring a gun.
>>
>>1012438
Thanks, I didn't even realize I would need a pass. If I do decide to go that far, I apparently have to get the general backcountry permit rather than the thru hiker permit because I wont be ending my hike 50 miles outside the park. Will I get any shit for trying to hitchhike out on 441?
>>
>>1012460
Don't get a permit. This is America. You can walk wherever you damn want. If anyone tries to give you shit, just walk faster.
>>
Work on your people skills
>>
NC is going to kick you in the dick as soon as you enter it. Fair warning.
>>
Don't worry about Blood. Easiest hardest climb in Georgia. Don't drink water from sources near it either. People were getting sick as fuck a few weeks ago when I was out there.
>>
>>1013318
The descent going nobo is a shitty cunt until the last mile then mountain crossings reveals herself to you. Pizza, drinks, oh man it felt soooo fucking good getting there that day
>>
>>1013318
This.
>>
>>1012338
dude a gun is not going to hydrate you. its not other people harming you that should be your top priority it walking in the heat without knowledge of where to find water. im pretty indifferent about people bringing guns on hikes. i am nervous when people who have never been on trial long enough to need a refill do their first run at it as a solo on trials they dont know well.
>>
>>1009996
Seriously? AT seemed totally sexless in the hiker vlogs I watched.
>>
>>1010043
If you have a camelbak or other hydration system, get a Sawyer Mini and run it in-line. Fastest, easiest, lightest purification method there is for solo hikers, and it also happens to be cheap (~$25) and last basically forever (100,000gal).

If you're doing a group hike or will be needing a ton of water to cook with, get one of the 2-bladder gravity filter setups.
>>
Wear shoes half a size larger, as your feet will swell.
>>
>>1013830
that's scary
>>
>>1013314
No can do.

>>1013317
Thanks for the warning. I wish I had more time off so I could go as far as I want.

>>1013318
I didn't even know I should be worried. You almost got me worried.

>>1013382
I've been researching water sources on the trail and worse case scenario I can rob someone for their water ;)

>>1013388
any recommendations for a hydration system? all i have no is an old platypus bladder and I was thinking about buying a new platypus system.

>>1013830
thanks
>>
>>1009992

Watch your butthole bud.
>>
Here's a JRE podcast where he interviews a guy that did the whole thing-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0yd5vAf3Gk
>>
>>1014600
Wow, I listen to JRE and skipped this one because I didn't know the guest. Little did I know. Thanks.
>>
File: sierra_current.png (132KB, 1000x300px) Image search: [Google]
sierra_current.png
132KB, 1000x300px
Anyone starting the PCT later this month?
>>
Anyone do Roan Mountain? I'm doing a five day hike there next week
>>
>>1014870
not me, but where'd you get that chart?
>>
>>1009992
>Foot traffic only
>Does handstand
>>
>>1015228
http://www.postholer.com/snow/Pacific-Crest-Trail/1
It even says postholer.com right there in the corner
>>
How much does it cost approximately to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail assuming you have no gear?

Saw an estimate that said $5,000.
>>
>>1016536
Between zero and six gorillian
>>
>>1016536
the guy in the joe rogan podcast above said about $5k
>>
how much food should i expect to need for 100 mile hike? I'd like to pack it all from the start so I don't have to make any detours to restock.
>>
>>1012338
>I have hitch hiked across the country and people say that's dangerous, but nothing too crazy happened.
Story time pls.

Also, and this is not a critique, it surprises me that a owner of that type of gun actually hitchhikes. Nice for you anon, breaking stereotypes there.
>>
File: 1471407172803.jpg (42KB, 457x752px) Image search: [Google]
1471407172803.jpg
42KB, 457x752px
>>1009996
>Bring condoms
pure plebeian shit my man
>>
>>1017627
I don't know how interesting this will be, but here's some green text

>suddenly felt compelled to achieve my couple year old dream of hitchhiking
>found a ride share on craigslist and packed a bag
>a few days later my ride picked me up and I left my mom a note telling her I was "going out of town"
>that night I was dropped off 450 miles from home with my old school backpack containing: a change of clothes, a map, a notebook and marker, a pocket knife, a cooking pot, a bag of quinoa, my sleeping bag, a tarp, and $20
>time for bed
>walked around some trees/brush by the side of the road in the dark and quickly realized this ain't gonna work
>walked under the highway overpass, up to the top of the bank, laid down, curled up, and fell asleep.
>in the morning I made a sign and stood on the on ramp hoping to get a ride
>it didn't seem to take long before someone stopped
>they seem friendly and say they want to help me get where I'm going, but first they need to run an errand
>eventually we park in front of a methadone clinic and the two men go inside
>"wtf is going on" I think to myself
>>
File: IMG_20130907_005405.jpg (407KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20130907_005405.jpg
407KB, 2048x1536px
>I wait in the car for however long it takes to receive a methadone treatment
>next stop: their house
>the driver dropped me and the methadone patient off at their house and he went to work
>"oh cool, you've got a bunch of chihuahuas"
>"you painted those chihuahua paintings? very cool"
>then I watched him smoke meth out of a glass pipe (he did offer me some but I turned it down)
>then he got in meth mode and I helped him reposition the towel rack in his bathroom
>then he gave me a demonstration of his hobby (making meth pipes)
>then he showed me a sandwich bag FULL of cocaine
>then he sold a little bit of coke using his mailbox as a dropbox
>then we walked across this small ass town to do a pill deal
>then we walked to his roommates work where he teaches little girls to ride horses
>later that night the 3 of us drove into town and they bought me dinner
>but first we stopped at some apartments and my new friend went inside and shot up heroin while we waited outside
>got to the restaurant and ordered
>new friend is starting to nod out, goes to car. His roommate sends me out to supervise him - we'll eat back at home
>new friend and I are in the car. he's out of it.
>finally our food comes and we head home.
>when the heroin starts to wear off my new friend made fun of crack heads for saying they just need a little crack.
>then he says he needs a little meth and goes out to score
>later I laid down on the couch and I remember my new friend laying a blanket over me before i fell asleep
>>
>next morning i wake up and there's a new character in the living room and my friend is at the methadone clinic
>iirc this guy is wearing a trucker hat, a vest, and short denim shorts
>he asks how I know this dude and says he thought I was another of his sex slaves
>asks if I want a ride
>take ride
>he drops me off
>I get another ride
>we drive past the exit I was at the day before

probably the weirdest experience i had during the trip. before I had no exposure to meth, heroin, or cocaine. nice dude though. he gave me another pocket knife and 2 jackets that I eventually donated to a thrift store.
>>
>>1010000
>solar charger

You're under the shade of trees 95% of the time.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.