[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well buds, I been using a jet stove for a while. I currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: DSCF0246.jpg (31KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0246.jpg
31KB, 480x360px
Well buds, I been using a jet stove for a while. I currently have two half empty cans that I won't take on the trail with me because I have no idea how much burn time they have left. Getting tired of wasting cans like this.

Is solid fuel a good alternative? What types are best? Is there a downside I'm missing?
>>
>>1008641
Get refillable canisters

Also just make fires

Alternatively you could realize the most efficient food for camping requires no cooking or can be rehydrated with cold water.
>>
Float your canisters in a bowl of water, that'll tell you how much is left in each one. Set aside your mostly empty cans and use them for 1-nighters, car camping or a hot lunch on a long day hike.

Or get a white gas stove like a whisperlite or Coleman Sportster. Or an alcohol stove.

Tablet stoves are bottom tier. Their output is weak, the tablets stink and they leave a nasty residue on your pots. If I had to choose between a tablet stove and cold food, I'd go cold food
>>
>>1008654
Smart.
>>
Just get a handful of bic lighters and you're good to go
>>
>https://www.rei.com/product/830341/msr-whisperlite-international-backpacking-stove
>kerosene
>white gas
>gasoline
why fuck around with anything else?
>>
File: KNOTHEAD180-100906-102653.jpg (94KB, 1405x1873px) Image search: [Google]
KNOTHEAD180-100906-102653.jpg
94KB, 1405x1873px
>>1008668
>>
>>1008641
>Is solid fuel a good alternative?

Only if the solid fuel is twigs, sticks, or dry peat and you don't camp in a barren wasteland. Look into biomass stoves. There are a ton of styles for sale or very easy to DIY.
>>
>>1008668
/thread
>>
>>1008668
>not going for the universal model
>>
>>1009013
>$40 extra for the option to use proprietary fuel canisters, which is what op is trying to get away from in the first place
nah
>>
>>1008641
This is amoung the reasons I prefer alcohol stoves. You can make one out of an coke can and it weighs next to nothing.
>>
>>1009263
After using white gas I don't know how anyone could put up with an alcohol stove. Unless you're simmering fondue, of course.
>>
Alcohol stoves are the only answer. Just get a wind screen I've boiled water in 40 mph winds in the desert.
>>
>>1009263
Except you have to carry more weight in fuel. The heat output also sucks and you can spill them in your foot.
>>
>>1009793
>>1010231
No moving parts!

Take your stove and bury it in wet ground for a week, then did it up and smash it with a hammer a few times, if it still works after rinsing it off in a stream and bending it back to shape with nothing but your hands then it's as reliable as an alcohol stove.
>>
>>1010254
Also, if your alcohol stove does break in that test you could easily make a new one in less than 5 min with an empty can of beans.
>>
>>1010259
That test was for all stoves. In fact, it should probably be for all gear.

If any piece of gear you own can't handle getting wet, dirty and smashed up a bit without continuing to work, it's not something you should rely on in the wilderness.
>>
>>1008668

The best /out/ related thing I ever bought.
>>
>>1009793
>>1010231
I do concede that the fuel is heavier but I have found I can carry less as it's so easy to buy anywhere.
>heat output also sucks
I dunno I can boil all the water I need for a big meal and a cup of tea/coffee in 10 mins. That's ~30-40ml of fuel. I am happy to wait ten mins.
>>1010147
>wind screen
This guy gets it. I just got a tin foil baking tray and made a wind screen, works perfectly, cost nothing and weighs nothing.

On top of all the above, I can _make_ my stove, they cost nothing, and are super rugged. The whole set up is almost disposable as well as the fuel being much easier to buy.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.