[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the very basics that every /out/ist should master?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: 95f5ea20c6d32efa54b65bf5886895d3.jpg (119KB, 736x1308px) Image search: [Google]
95f5ea20c6d32efa54b65bf5886895d3.jpg
119KB, 736x1308px
What are the very basics that every /out/ist should master?

For example I spend a decent amount /out/ but it's mostly beach related stuff and hiking low duration camping so I'm not very competent with navigating by stars or sun, hunting or having many different type of knots on my tool box. That being said I would like to deversify and keep moving forward and acquiring new skills so yeah, feel free to throw some ideas into the puddle.

Thanks.
>>
>>1007960
Plant and edible identification in your local area.

Safe fire starting year round in your area.

Navigation/familiarity in your area.

Camping over nights then working to multiple nights /out/ in your area.

Once you've got that down, do it in somewhere /out/side your area.

You get better at all these things the more you do it. Your kit/pack will evolve for all situations the better equipped with experience you are.
>>
there are none, just focus on what you like
it's 2017 you literally have an incomprehensible amount of information available at your fingertips.

>I'm not very competent with navigating by stars or sun, hunting or having many different type of knots on my tool box.
so then try taking a book out with you or read one and take notes on the stuff that stand out and bring the notes.

Anyone who tells you you need to know certain things to "master" being an "outist" when you are literally just trying to explore yourself and nature is egocentric. You will find your nirvana only by following your own path. People who try to impress their thoughts on you (like pack out trash) are narcissists or live in fear of people and society in general, ignore it. If you genuinely enjoy the outdoors you will find these things self evident.
>>
File: larger.jpg (49KB, 380x253px) Image search: [Google]
larger.jpg
49KB, 380x253px
>>1007970
Pack out your trash
>>
>>1007972
Or bury it
>>
>>1007972
way ahead of you. i pack out my trash, and trash that i find because it ruins the scenery and at its worst pollutes the land.

but you should come to your own conclusion.

I guess people like you remind me of the christian who thinks all athiests are murderers. Like you need some external source to tell you right from wrong. You should know or you should be in a hospital or jail.
>>
>>1007976
no
>>
>>1007980
Kek not all things are self eveident you atusimo.

Stupid people need to be educated or they do stupid things.
>>
>>1008019
>Kek not all things are self eveident you atusimo
Where did i say "all things are self evident" in any capacity. Morals are self evident is the gist of what i said. Go back to /pol/ where every shade of grey is black or white
>>
>>1007960
How about knife maintenance
>>
>>1008059
I'm pretty ok with it, I don't obsess with getting pristine, mirror like edges though.

>>1007965
>>1007970

Thanks
>>
Anyone else only have access to conservation areas where starting fires is forbidden, except for a few specified fireplaces?
>>
Read a map and use a compass

Start a fire

Put up a Ridgeline
>>
>>1008419
Why would I do that?
>>
>>1007965
How does one do this if you live in the city? The closest /out/ is an hour away, and I need a car to get there. Or am I just being a little bitch?
>>
File: d.jpg (136KB, 500x380px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
136KB, 500x380px
>>1007972

>tfw I found a garbage bag with someone's site reservation info printed on it behind a tree and I took it out and snitched to the park wardens
>>
>>1007965
>fire

Why? I always cold camp. My food is usually a loaf of artisan bread, some fruit and/or veg (unless it's gonna freeze), instant oatmeal made with cold water, gorp, maybe jerky. I don't feel like hauling in cooking gear and washing dishes and all that shit, and I don't feel like bothering with a fire.

desu most campers are just little pussy bitch pyromaniacs and only go for the bonfire because they don't have the balls to light the local synegog on fire. Fire fags spend an hour making that shit, stay up all night with it, and don't get out of camp until 11 am.

I've never seen the point.
>>
>>1008461
Awesome!
>>
>>1008461
Good man, keep it up.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.