[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it possible to be self-employed by gathering products from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

Is it possible to be self-employed by gathering products from the woods?

sekking pelts, animal meat, woven cedar baskets, firewood, mushrooms, roots, berries, herbs and the like. I'm sure there's a market for these goods, but am not sure how realistic self-employment is doing this or how to start
>>
Why don't you figure out what those things go for and what the cost of production is, then you'll know how much you need to make/sell inorder to live the life you want.
>>
>>1005678
I'm sure you could, but you'd have to market it correctly - that's how you can make a killing for price markups. Really taking advantage of the "organic, hand crafted, wild" etc tags are really popular right now. You might come to despise your demographic though as they'd almost all be hipsters, and you'd have to recognize that you'd be riding a trend. It's not something I think you'd make a great living off of, and it obviously won't the most secure of occupations, but if you're capable of finding, crafting, or processing something that can stand out from factory produced goods then you might be able to make it work.
>>
>>1005678
Absolutely. But you will need to interact with people face-to-face. Sign up for farmer's market stalls, build a website, sell your wares at the markets, include a card to your website with every purchase.

Consider carving downed wood, finding shiny rocks, using shed antlers, etc.
>>
If you're good.

My Borther-in-law's cousin owns a Bison farm and a friend from school's family owns a deer farm. Both raise them for meat. Not really hunting so much as farming though.

Firewood isn't really produced in the way you would want for commercial sales.

Mushrooms sell for a good chunk of change based on variety. Same with fruits and berries. They are generally seaonal though so you would be fucked in the winter unless you live in a warm climate.

I would focus less on gathering and more on artisan crafts. That means you need to have skill though.
>>
>>1005757
berries are plentiful here on the pacific coast, but I'm not sure what the market is. Health and safety regs, food preparation etc

when you say artisan crafts, can you be specific? I assume you mean carving
>>
>>1005862
Carving, glass blowing, pottery, blacksmithing, and many more. Anything that can realistically be hand made can be an artisan crafts, however whatever you make has to have a high quality of materials and craftsmanship to appeal to anyone.
>>
>>1005757
>Firewood isn't really produced in the way you would want for commercial sales.
What does this mean? Around here everyone with any acreage makes extra money by selling firewood, selling stumpage, and taking a cut from brushing and tipping access in the autumn.

As for OP, the best and easiest way is to work in the spring, summer, and autumn as a hunting and fishing guide, then in the winter as a taxidermist. Both skills pay reasonably, are easy to learn, and are generally in demand.
>>
>>1005678
Very unlikely.

You can't sell wild animal products in many places (Canada for sure, fur you can sell but there is a bunch of requirements) nor can you go take resources from wild lands and sell them without dealing with permits, limits, seasons etc.

The closest I can think of is >>1005757
ranching or farming, both require a lot of money to get going. Or a treeplanting, mushroom picking transient lifestyle many kids in BC live until their bodies can't take the punishment anymore.
>>
File: PicsArt_04-21-08.37.05.jpg (42KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_04-21-08.37.05.jpg
42KB, 960x540px
>>1005944
>transient lifestyle
>mentions BC
>fails to mention Maritimes where having a job at all is odd and having a full-time job indoors is unheard of, where picking sea snails, seaweed, bluberries, and fiddleheads, is considered a respectable career path
>BC isn't even in Canada
>>
>>1005954
>tfw you're from the Maritimes also but you don't go outside so you can't relate to mostly everything people say about the Maritimes
>>
File: 130611122103_1_900x600.jpg (201KB, 900x523px) Image search: [Google]
130611122103_1_900x600.jpg
201KB, 900x523px
>>1005678
>Is it possible to be self-employed by gathering products from the woods?

Yes. Are you 12?
>>
>>1006000
What do you even do all day besides pull off trips?
>>
>>1005954
I don't know shit about the east coast except you keep moving here, your accents are fucking stupid, and you complain about how it's not as nice as the east coast for every imaginable reason.

>no lobster
>no cod
>not enough lakes
>no baby seals to bash in the head
>on and fucking on forever like I give a fuck you Liberal voting whores
>>
>>1005678
It used to be with a trapping/hunting license.
Pelts are going down due to fur farms so the good old days are dying fast :(
>>
>>1006416
yet another reason to ban fur farms
>>
Fur, fish, meat, fungus, wood. Not much else will get you money. You have to know how to get the stuff and where to market it. With any trade, it takes years to learn.
You'll also have to spend all day, every day doing it to learn and get a system down.
>>
>>1006416
If the price of pelts is going down due to fur farms, why are fur farms shutting down from low prices? Why is coyote fur such a hot item right now?
Oh yeah, the countries that take in the short fur that is farmed are dirt poor from oil prices kicking the bucket. Can't buy fur with little to no money. Only the trim market is being utilized.
The people on /out/ know NOTHING about the fur market.
>>
>>1005678
A thought:
Invest in a cannery so when you cant sell them fresh, you have a way to preserve your goods and sell later.
>>
In Maine you can sell bloodworms

The rate right now is .50 for big ones and .25 for small ones

You can dig 500-1000 of them per day while the tide is low

Thats $250-$500 per day
In maine you cant do this in the winter because it's too cold

So you have roughly 180 days to do this without freezing your bits off

That's 45k-90k per every 6 months before taxes

Don't go to school kid, just dig for worms
>>
>>1007005
Good luck using someone elses mudflats. Very territorial over here.
>>
>>1007007
Oh nooooo some retarded ass alcoholics are mad that I'm out bustin my ass way harder than they ever would

Ohhhh I'mmm so intimidateeeed
>>
Morel season is starting/already in season for midwestern States and provinces. If you're feeling adventurous enough to try your luck hitch hiking or wasting the money to get to Alaska, The Yukon or Nunavut, you could try picking them there.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.