[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can kitchen knives be /out/? They're cheap, sharp, and surprisingly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 9

File: 244.jpg (349KB, 2508x1376px) Image search: [Google]
244.jpg
349KB, 2508x1376px
Can kitchen knives be /out/? They're cheap, sharp, and surprisingly sturdy if you look around.
>>
File: boot_knife_2.jpg (1MB, 1632x1224px) Image search: [Google]
boot_knife_2.jpg
1MB, 1632x1224px
yes, if you look at really old /out/ knives they were similar. don't go too crazy on the length.
>>
File: typical_outdoors_knife.jpg (130KB, 637x430px) Image search: [Google]
typical_outdoors_knife.jpg
130KB, 637x430px
>length

like this might be pushing it a little
>>
>>1005663
There's plenty of better choices, but any blade is better than none I guess.
Thin flat ground blades like kitchen knives are great for slicing, but chip and break easier, especially when doing anything other than slicing.
>>
>>1005663
A knife is a knife. What you cut with it is up to you. Different steels and grinds etc are used for various applications but generally speaking they all cut stuff. Try using only primitive stone and shell cutting tools for a while. You will quickly come to a great appreciation for even the most mundane metal blades. That being said...a dirt cheap outdoor knife is basically the same cost as a dirt cheap kitchen knife. Buy the tool that best fits the job and your budget.
>>
"Old Hickory" Butcher knife. 7 inches of 1/8 inch thick 1095 carbon steel. Best part is it costs about $12 US. /out/ had a boner for them a year or two ago.
>>
>>1005663
>what is Old Hickory

The problem with kitchen knives is they don't have sheaths. If you can get around that, and don't feel limited by flat ground thin stock blades of typically questionable stainless steel then go for it.

But it'd be easier spending 7eu and buying a mora
>>
>>1005714
that's the point of a knife though- slicing. What else do you need it for, batoning?

>>1005756
'6 $4 kitchen knife > '2 $9 mora
>>
>>1005756
>no sheath
>not using cardboard and duct tape

Are you also gay?
>>
>>1005861
Slicing through meat and veg is dif than carving wood
>>
>>1005861
>2' paring knife 50$ < 6' mora 15$

see we can both be retarded you idiot.
>>
>>1005961
I bought a 4chan pass for my vpn expressly to call you a retard for not understanding thrift stores
>>
>>1005663
Yes they can.

I'm not talking about the obvious like Butcher knives.

I'm talking about what is now known as the French Cook's knife.

This is an acient design that was used in and around the Mediterranean.
This design heavily influenced the modern Cook's knife, but also influenced Spanish hunting knives, which later in the new world evolved into the Argentine Gaucho Knife, and the first Bowie knife, that was commissioned by Rezin Bowie and used by his brother Jim in the Sandbar fight.
>>
>>1005663
Good kitchen knives are just as expensive as a good out knife and cheap kitchen knives aren't much cheaper than cheap out knives. Besides a couple exceptions like the Old Hickory...I really don't see the point in trying to use a kitchen knife of outdoors activities. I personally don't feel like the edge retention on kitchen knives is very good, the couple 30-40$ ones I have get really sharp but they don't hold an edge much longer than the cheap counter top block set I have. The only ones I have run into that hold the edge really well are some old Japanese moly steel ones, but they are tougher to sharpen than normal.
>>
File: 1492287782996.jpg (8KB, 276x277px) Image search: [Google]
1492287782996.jpg
8KB, 276x277px
>>1005990
Are you retarded? you completely misunderstood the point, that he wasent comparing apples to apples in knife lengths considering both kitchen knives and moras come in different lengths, and dollar figures mean nothing because anything can cost anything from nothing to ridiculous amounts of money.
>>
i mean they could but why. there is better and cheaper stuff out there. plus you would need to make a sheath. just get an opinel or mora they are really nice and plenty cheap
>>
File: H6Pokiel.jpg (75KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
H6Pokiel.jpg
75KB, 640x427px
>2017
>not using a dacian falx
>>
>>1005861
>>1005919

SO the question then OP is,,

>do I do more food prep
>or do I do more woodswork.

Now personally, I will use my scani knife to prep my food because it'll do a passable job (EVEN APPLES) even though it's not 'for' food, because a kitchen knive, tho good at prepping food, DOES suck at woodwork.
>>
File: 20170430_095401.jpg (3MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170430_095401.jpg
3MB, 3264x1836px
I use a boning knife by svörd.
>>
>>1005677

Yep

Much of the original knives people used when /out/ were stuff that looked like Old Hickory butcher and skinning knives.

OP:

Modern kitchen knives are generally thin as hell, which does make them fine for /out/ food prep, but poor for anything bushcraft related.
>>
File: bk5.jpg (120KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
bk5.jpg
120KB, 736x552px
>>1006182
Why not do both?
One of my favorite knives is the BK5 and it is basically a outdoors kitchen knife. It is also quite affordable at around 50$.
>>
>>1005990
I impregnated Al Gore's mother so she could give birth to him so he could invent the internet, expressly to say lol @you.
>>
>>1005663
old bushcraft knives were just butchers knives.
>>
File: IMG_0300.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0300.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>1005663
I modified a green river sheep skinner. Mostly worked the handle to fit my hand better. It's a fine innawoods knife but I prefer to EDC my marttiini. I find the puukko to be a more useful blade design.
>>
>>1006345
>weight 340g
>1095 carbon steel
>4.7mm blade stock
>choil

that's not a kitchen knife nigga
>>
File: IMG_20170503_094137.jpg (1MB, 2688x1520px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170503_094137.jpg
1MB, 2688x1520px
>>1006191

Using same generation Svord but in drop point format. Best outdoors/hunting/skinning knife I've ever had. Diamond compound impregnated leather stropping block keeps it razor sharp.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.