[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No idea how many mountaineers we have here on /out/ but this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: Screenshot_20170430-115616.jpg (436KB, 978x1327px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170430-115616.jpg
436KB, 978x1327px
No idea how many mountaineers we have here on /out/ but this guy deserves a mention.

First death on Everest this season and it was Ueli Steck - only one of the most acomplished guys in the world. R. I. P.
>>
R. I. P.

Sticky when?
>>
>>1004613
F
>>
oh shit it's real.. one of the greatest.
>>
Sounds like he was on Nuptse, alone, sometime after 4:30 am. Unroped. If his Sherpa buddy didn't get frostbite a couple weeks ago, he'd probably be alive. He was in tremendous form, having trained in the Khumbu region near Everest over the winter, running and climbing at altitude. He was in the absolute prime of his career, about to attempt the greatest fear thus far on Everest/Lhotse. Sad but not unexpected given his risk-taking.

Each generation produces greats so it's hard to call anyone the best, but in terms of overall ability and fitness he must be considered the best pure mountaineer, although I'd say many others have done better routes on more mountains than him.
>>
File: Kilian-Jornet_MDalmasso.jpg (135KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
Kilian-Jornet_MDalmasso.jpg
135KB, 720x480px
>>1004613

F

>>1004646
I hear many of these extreme mountaineers are super-unstable people. Same with Steve House. They basically become hopelessly depressed when they aren't planning a new expedition. In a sense it's the most dignified exit for a true mountaineer...

Kilian Jornet is planning to do some Everest speed runs, but he is actually quite cautious by nature, so I doubt he'll take as many risks as these speed climbers.
>>
>>1004613
RIP

These guys are seriously hard

-endurance runner here
>>
can't wreck the Steck
>>
F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfpYNr7es0Y
>>
>>1004660
The same problem afflicts special forces guys and your better class of criminals. Once you've been "out there" - lived the on the edge - survived, and have the sort of personality that thrills to the action, 9-5 is not an option.

I'm 43 and have spent more time under the stars than most people dream of. Been a ski bum (did a few legit "extreme" routes), lifeguard, wildland firefighter, eco-saboteur, long distance backpacker and a few things I'd rather not babble about. Attempting to work in a call-center and "settle down" physically repulsed me to the point where I decided that if I had to live hand to mouth in a tent in the woods rather than submit to that sort of putrid "existence" I'd do it.
>>
>>1004814
Are you me?
>>
>>1004814
I have a mild version of this. Always worked in outdoor, high risk environments. When I'm indoors or still too long I start to get pretty depressed, which leads to self medication, mostly beer and weed so nothing serious.
>>
>>1004786
wrong
>>
>>1004660

There's always something inside people that like these kinds of things that is nostalgic.

I myself am a mountaineer and have considered applying for the green berets on top of doing many extreme things including extreme driving.

I love anything adventure and cant settle down with a wife, a dog a house and a car.

At the end of the day in my experience, those who take higher risks, no matter how good they are, are always depressed, including myself.

Deep down when I'm up I have to actually think about good reasons for returning back down (Have you seen The Big Blue? it's just like that).

The things I do in daily life I do for others I love, I live for my parents, my gf, my friends... But Im very reckless with myself and will go the extra mile always for anyone.

It's not that I dont want to live, but kind of.

Look for this when you watch famous mountaineers or anyone that does extreme things and you'll quickly notice the patterns.
>>
File: ueli-photo.jpg (67KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
ueli-photo.jpg
67KB, 1200x900px
Rest in Peace... or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWlqFFAQ4Vk
>>
He was kind of obnoscious, but still a great climber.
>>
>>1004814
I've been working for NPS, US Fish and Wildlife, and the Forest Service the past few years seasonally and when I have to get some indoor job for the winter it fucking kills me.
>>
>>1004613
F
At least died doing what he loved, not everyone can say that. Also we're all going to die someday anyways.

>>1004814
>eco-saboteur
kek

>>1004786
>>1004830
lel

>>1004834
are you, perhaps, from reddit? What's up with all that spacing between sentences?
>>
File: IMG_5111.jpg (68KB, 472x327px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5111.jpg
68KB, 472x327px
"I'm going to make the hardest climb in the world... along with 250 others"
>>
F
>>
>>1005099
Why are there cunts always butthurt about Everest? Yeah some get help and pay a lot for it but who cares.
>>
>>1005055
>Complaining about posts that are easy to read

Go back to >>>/pol/ faggot
>>
>>1005114
>Leldditor
you have to back
>>
File: 1355408102443.jpg (341KB, 1200x877px) Image search: [Google]
1355408102443.jpg
341KB, 1200x877px
>>1004613
RIP Ueli you fucking legend
>>
really surprised he went back after the lynch mob
my bet is on voodoo
should have never returned
just like he said
>>
But he wore brightly colored technical clothes. That makes him gay.
>>
File: IMG_2538.jpg (63KB, 800x545px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2538.jpg
63KB, 800x545px
Maybe his achievements would be worth something if he wore traditional leather, wool, and other natural materials. He's just a fag.
>>
Literally who is this fag? Another mcandyass going out unprepared and dying? not /our/ guy cuz he's dead on the outside
>>
>>1005282
He should have gone MGTOW. Oh well bang the ho turn into popsicle
>>
>>1005304
He was a 16 year old engineering student from Switzerland, wanted to be the youngest one legged climber to reach all seven summits under a full moon. Funded by daddy of course.

Also. His gf was black.
>>
I wouldn't be surprised that there was pressure on him to return to Everest.
probably his sponsors and shit like the mountaineering associations
someone like him denouncing the current behavioral and cultural activities on that mountain is bad press
>Ueli has shit Everest experience
>says Everest is ruined by shitty people
>people tell him to go back
>make a feel good press release post climb
he died for a paycheck.
>>
>>1005317
What happened?

>>1005308
You seem jealous.
>>
>>1005304
/our/ guy would be some overweight fellow wandering the woods by his parents' house in oversized milsurp, maybe stopping to whittle a twig while cars whizz by a hundred feet away
>>
>>1005317
http://www.uelisteck.ch/en/item/66-everest-lhotse.html
That was what he was training for
>>
File: 1493609832827.jpg (72KB, 640x546px) Image search: [Google]
1493609832827.jpg
72KB, 640x546px
>>1004613
shoulda worn his fireman boots
>>
>>1005325
>I don’t like being restricted.
>When I climb, I feel free and unrestricted; away from any social commitments.
>This is what I am looking for.

he walked face first into that voodoo
should have never returned to Everest.
>>
Damn, this news shocked me. I know it should really be expected for someone like him, but he was so damn good at it. To regularly run up mountains in hours that takes most people days and then die on a routine training climb. The guy was an inspiration for all people, a living testament to willpower and focus. RIP
>>
>>1005117
Giant beacon of autism
>>
>>1005328
Kek
>>
>>1004814
Are you that guy vagabonding in Europe, who got AIDS while hitch-hiking and who is now trying to spread it to as many African migrants as possible? I forgot your name. I can't find your video, either, but I remember.
>>
Any good books about mountaineers?
>>
>>1005099
It's not the hardest climb in the world. Not by a longshot.
It's only the highest climb.
>>
>>1005594
Story?
>>
>>1005842
The White Spider and Touching The Void are both pretty good reads (despite the fact that Joe Simpson annoys the crap out of me in person).
>>
>>1005846
Agreed.

I would love a bash at Annapurna or K2. I'm probably way too fucked to manage those these days though
>>
sherpa niggers killed him for sure
>>
>>1005849
Sorry, it was youtuber who made a video about it, but I can't find it anymore. I was hoping someone else would know what I'm talking about.
>>
>>1004814

>"eco-saboteur"
>can only get call center work

sounds about right
>>
>>1005846
>>1005876

So when did you guys summit?
>>
>>1004613

He fell 3000 feet.

RIP.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.