[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello fellow /out/doorsmen got a question for you guys. Any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: IMG_0152.jpg (173KB, 800x513px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0152.jpg
173KB, 800x513px
Hello fellow /out/doorsmen got a question for you guys.

Any Californian outers know of anyone getting busted for building a fire in a national park?

According to my wilderness permit 36 CFR 261.52(a) states I can't build a fire and am subject to a 1500$ or six months prison time. If caught would they actually do that? Anyone know of anyone getting busted before.

Every time I've backpacked I've may or may not have built a fire and have been paranoid about it. I usually go during the fall/winter time when it's butt cold out so i really like a warm fire.

>pic related

The mountain I'm backpacking soon
>>
>>1002543
Angeles National forest right? They were really strict about it during the drought now I dont know It really depends on your area and how far out in the sticks you are
>>
>>1002546
No San Bernadino

Pic related is Gorgonio
>>
>>1002546
We will be going about 8 miles in on the least used trail. Never seen a ranger before. Just wondering how pissed he'd be if he caught me and my buds.
>>
>>1002550
There is a reason for that regulation. California basically lights on fire for no reason. Don't be a jerk.

It is highly unlikely the fine would be that high, but it is a federal misdemeanor and can show up on your record. Doubt you want that.
>>
>>1002548
>>1002550
It really depends on if he wants to be a dick or not, ovisouly at night you need a fire but I think you might need a separate permit for a fire. That being said, San Bernadino national forest is much more vast than the Angeles and not as crowded, if you are going a bit and setting up camp for a night I dont think it should be a problem but better to be on the safe side and make sure youre out there
>>
>>1002543
in california I'm surprised they let people with convex lenses outside. or that the state doesn't spontaneously combust.
>>
>>1002543
a) national forest=/=national park
b) wait til dusk and use small diameter, very dry wood to prevent having an obvious smoke column. someone seeing your smoke is how you'll get busted.
c) don't let it get away from you.

>>1002554
>ovisouly at night you need a fire
>need
lol, no.
>>
>>1002560
>not needing a fire
Explain
>>
>>1002611
Not the anon you asked, but
>what is proper insulation
>what is layering
>what is pemmican
>what is GORP
>what are iodine tablets
>what is Sawyer Mini
...just Saiyan.
>>
>>1002617
It's me again, Margaret.
>camp stove
>MREs
>>
>>1002560
Instead of making a new thread I'll just ask here.

What's the difference between a national forest and a national park. Are there different laws?
>>
>>1002611
>southern california in spring
>why don't you need a fire
figure it out, retard

>>1002807
>Are there different laws?
yes. biggie is nf are usually free and np have use fees. but there are other differences, and there are also different laws from park to park, and from forest to forest, so you're gonna have to google them on your own.
>>
>>1002825
>southern California in spring

>average temps for this mountain are below 0C at night
>>
>>1002560
This
You don't need a fire

And if you have one where fires are prohibited, you are a dick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soberanes_Fire
>>
>>1002611
>"what is a camp stove?"

In case you weren't trolling, most areas in CA allow backpacking type stoves (canister fuel, etc.) but don't allow you to make your own fires
>>
>>1002807

My best attempt at the whole US system:

national forests cover a much wider area. While they are generally wildlands, if properly permitted logging companies can log in them, and even ski resorts can use national forest land (with a discretionary permit, not by right, but to does happen e.g. in Tahoe. because many of the prime mountain land is natural forest ) National forest generally come historically from a more resource-conservation view of mature - the Forest Service is there to ensure proper forest management, with nature benefits being secondary (at least in the original scheme a century plus ago, ideas have changed.) They still are genrally protected forests, and aren't as open to use as Bureau of Land Management land, which is basically land in the US West that the federal government own kind of by default. (on the other hand, there are basically no restrictions on camping or anything on BLM land.)

National Parks on the other hand are set up as, well, parks. That's why they are in the very most scenic areas, e.g. Yosemite, Yellowstone, etc. Because they are particularly awesome areas, many draw crowds of tourists. They often still have VERY remote trails and dangerous/cool terrain, but also may have overcrowded main central areas and permits/passed may be hard to get.
>>
>>1002914
To continue, National Forests have a subset that is Wilderness Areas. The idea with those is to utterly preserve the land in a natural state. Thus, literally no mechanized tools are allowed in. No jeeps, no chainsaws, not even bikes. No moving parts. Humans, horses (where allowed), hand tools, that's it. Now, a few wilderness areas are nevertheless crisscrossed by trails and very popular with hikers (e.g. Desolation Wilderness) and require hard-to-get permits, but many are much more remote.

There are also National Monuments. Those are really supposed to be for, y'know, monuments, like stuff in DC, but they are sometimes used to protect natural areas because (I think) there are less complicated statutory requirements and they are easier to the federal executive branch to just create. E.g., Obama created the San Gabriel Mtns National Monument near LA
>>
>>1002916
Finally, states also have quite extensive State Parks. Some states may also have other types of natural preserves, like marine reserves where fishing is restricted.
>>
>>1002862
fortunately God invented a convenience known as a "sleeping bag". maybe you've heard of them?
>>
>>1002920
>God invented

God invented fire not the sleeping bag.
>>
>>1002921
>man invented sleeping bag
>God invented man
ergo God invented sleeping bag
>>
>>1002926
>he goes to bed before it gets dark

It's -5c I'm lighting a fire because my sleeping bag works only when I'm in it. Fuck you nature fags. Fire is good for the forest.
>>
>>1002927
>getting this assblasted at me
lol. i'm >>1002560 the anon who told op how to get away with it. i love fires, too. but to say you NEED a fire is pure absurdity.
>>
>>1002927
>Fire is good for the forest.
Not when you "muh fire" fags start fires in prohibited areas and fuck them up, either by burning them down, or sending what little carbon the ecosystem was able to put into biomass back into the atmosphere
>>
>>1002927
You k ow what works when you're not in your sleeping bag? Clothes.

That being said, if it's below freezing, it's probably not fire season anyway, so the danger from having a fire, even if it's illegal, is a lot lot less and I wouldn't bitch at you for having one. But if it's just a cold summer night rather than winter (and in lots of mountain areas it can get cold even in high summer) you're risking a major fire if it's in CA.
>>
File: thewave.jpg (1MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
thewave.jpg
1MB, 2048x1365px
>>1002914
This is basically correct. The NPS manages for preservation (no changes). USFS and BLM manage land for conservation with an emphasis on multiple use (mining, OHV, logging, grazing still allowed in some places)
>>
File: agassiz.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
agassiz.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>1002916
National Parks, BLM Land, USFS land and Fish and Wildlife Service land all have wilderness areas encompassed within them. The BLM also has WSA (wilderness study areas) which are set aside until congress decides what to do with them. This is because the BLM wasn't really around when the wilderness act passed.
>>
>1002927
Sometimes it's good for the forest but it's really not great for your house. Quit being a cock.
>>
>>1003116
>being this fucking new

Fuck off
>>
>>1002543
OP you're a fucking jackass

t. la
>>
>>1002543
I've never heard of that. The JMT goes through 3 national parks and a national forest and hikers on that trail basically have to build a fire every night for three weeks or they would die. Every video I've seen of backpackers in the California wilderness have lit fires, so it's probably a rule that's not enforced. That would be ridiculous to go backpacking overnight and not be able to light a fire.
>>
Don't be a dick, follow the rules. Stay home if you can't handle the cold.
>>
>>1003236
Above a certain elevation, fires are prohibited
You should follow this rule, even if you don't understand it
People who know a lot about it have made this rule for good reasons
>Every video I've seen of backpackers in the California wilderness have lit fires
I have hiked the entire JMT without ever lighting a fire
I have spent the past 20+ years hiking the backcountry of the Sierra, and almost never have a fire
>>
>>1003496
That's because youre a faggot.

I've been hiking for just as many years and have lite a fire everytime.

I bet your the guy that likes to throw his empty bottles to the side of the trail.
>>
>>1003500
>sierra backcountry
>throwing bottles away
>not treasuring them more than gold
you know how i know you've never been more than 2 miles from a parking lot?
>>
>>1002543
How about don't make fucking fires you autistic child. Use a blanket and stop ruining the fucking wilderness with your irresponsible behavior. The state doesn't need anymore fucking assholes thinking the rules don't apply to them. Fuck off.
>>
>>1003535
>he's never backpacked mount McKinley

I saw atleast three bottles on the trail you faggot. It happens all the time and I know you're the fucker that does it. >>1003814
>muh laws

Most wildfires aren't even started by campers. Fuck off. Clearly you don't live in California.
>>
>>1003822
I didn't even say anything about wildfires, retard. Campfires ruin the scenery and make everything look like the shithole you crawled out of in Tijuana.
>>
File: RnLxqnv.jpg (108KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
RnLxqnv.jpg
108KB, 1000x666px
>>1003822
>McKinley
My fucking sides.
>>
>>1003824
It's called digging a hole and putting the wood in it. When you're done you burry it and leave no trace.
>>
>>1003500
>>1003822

git good
>>
>>1003830
That's called killing all vegetation within 5 feet of your fire hole.
>>
>>1003830
Yeah until you have a fire smouldering underground that flares up days later after you're gone
>>>kys faggot
>>
File: 220px-GeorgeLiquorTower.jpg (8KB, 220x214px) Image search: [Google]
220px-GeorgeLiquorTower.jpg
8KB, 220x214px
>>1003880
>days later
welp not his problem then
>>
Opee, which route are you taking? Because there are usually wilderness rangers and volunteers out there checking for permits and shit. Theyre mostly pretty cool so I doubt youll get busted
>>
>>1003880
>doesn't pour water/piss on it
>>
>>1003814

Woah calm your tits you autistic little shit
>>
>>1003825
What in the fuuuck is that
>>
>>1003236
Lmao thinking you need a fire every night to survive the JMT, have you any actual experience hiking in california at all my friend? Yeah its common to make fires but you can survive and be comfy as long as you have decent nighttime insulation, even in winter.
>>
>>1003236
Oh and i forgot but im so triggered by your post i have to reply. 3 weeks? Really?? Regular people hike the JMT in like 10-15 days. The ones who take 3 weeks are doing 10 miles a day which is absolute snails pace. You clearly don't know much about hiking in california
>>
>>1002543
Seems like Cali has to battle wild fires every year, so I would imagine they take it pretty seriously
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.