[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a noticeable taste difference between trapped and hunted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

File: dinner.jpg (33KB, 250x222px) Image search: [Google]
dinner.jpg
33KB, 250x222px
Is there a noticeable taste difference between trapped and hunted meat?

I would imagine that a trapped animal would deplete a lot of its muscle glycogen content compared to an animal that was killed with a clean shot by gun/bow.
>>
>>1001089
traps are gay
>>
>>1001121
lol
>>
>>1001089
Meh, some but not much. You can tell if a cow was shot in the face and strung uo or grain fed a few months. I ate wild rabbit the other day and then drug an albino out of the freezer. Couldnt really tell a difference.

Same with hogs.
>>
>>1001142

I'm not talking about grain fed though. I'm talking about shooting a rabbit for instakill, vs. trapping a rabbit and killing it hours after it gets trapped.

If instakill, it dies immediately. If trap, it spends several hours being stressed, depleting glycogen, etc.

Glycogen is a sugar, so it wouldn't surprise me if high glycogen meat tasted "sweeter" or "milder".
>>
>>1001089
Nope, not going to be a significant enough difference to taste it.
If it were to lay trapped a week without somehow dying, it will likely taste different but rather than due to lack of glycogen due to dehydration and maybe a bit of fat loss.
>>
How about with fish?
>>
>>1001089
Get a kill trap and you'd have no worries.
>>
>>1001089
Anon, there are traps that instantly (enough) kill animals. Educate yourself on bodygrip traps, they're awesome.
>>
>>1001184
I agree with these guys. It might technically be different but not enough to matter.
>>
Not unless you trap it and keep it in captivity for at least several weeks stuffing it on grain.
>>
>>1001336
Then you gotta guess wh3n it died. Some places don't allow setting body grips on land.

I've caught rabbits and squirrels in footholds and ate them. No real difference.
>>
When you butcher an animal you're supposed to hide the knife/gun because of the animal anticipates it's own death it releases a shit load of adrenaline and makes the meat taste bad.

Also, you want to clean game as quickly as possible after it dies to help preserve the taste. This is especially true of rabbit and squirrel.
>>
>>1001647
Guess when it died? The trap had nothing yesterday, has something today. Oh wow, when did it die?
>>
>>1001650
Then why do people I know hang their deer for a week after gutting it?
>>
>>1001685
To get all of the blood out. That's what I meant by cleaning it as soon as possible.

You don't want that shit to just sit there, the faster it drains out the better.

Don't get me wrong, blood is fine to consume however when it just sits in a body for a long time it's just going to be dirty and filled with "just died" hormones which will taint the meat.

If you intend to consume the blood, it's in your best interests to keep it fresh.

Oxidation is another issue, you want to limit the internal oxidation of blood in an animal as much as possible.

Make sense?
>>
>>1001681
So if it's 70 degrees out
the sun is beaming on the trap
you check typically 6:30 am
Rabbit walks into body grip at 7am

I wouldn't eat that. Granted you will probably notice the meat is off. I would also mention the quality of something caught in a foothold that I dispatch on sight will taste better than something sitting in warm temps got 20+ hrs.

Never caught anything but beavers in 330s and I didn't feel comfortable eating it. I checked them at around 730am, and by then the meat was a pinkish color.
>>
>>1001728
What type of place are you in where it's 70 degrees in rabbit season?

I kill a fair amount of beaver, am nearing 100 caught this spring. I check anywhere from 1-3 days. There's been only a small handful I wouldn't have eaten because I did a 3 day check and couldn't skin for another 2 days. Otherwise every one was butchered, to some extent, to be given away to anyone that asks or consumed by myself and family.
>>
>>1001783
The same place where I've been bit by mosquitos in January
>>
>>1001089
>>1001184
>>1001267
Almost all modern traps are conibear killer types.
>>
OP if you are worried about getting fresh rabbit follow this simple trick:

lean a stick against a tree, put a bell/chime/cans/noise maker on the end of it then piss on it. Almost every night you will hear your noisemaker, rabbits chew on pee soaked ANYTHING as a mineral lick. Anytime you want to get one just shine a flashlight at it and shoot it.

Or use a slingshot. Or a rock. Or just pick it up, they are kinda stupid.
>>
>>1001785
You must leave there.
>>
>>1001089
So. The baby bunnies you kept captive are kill and you want to eat them. Nice.
>>
Does anyone have any webms or videos of rabbits getting fucked up? Ive had a morbid facination ever sense I watched a video of an older rabbit crippling a baby rabbit
>>
>>1001794

they're very quick and wary where I live, but trapping them is no problem.

It'd be impossible to catch them by hand
>>
>>1001685
Not the guy, but by cleaning the kill, it's to mean you gut it and bleed it and, well, clean it. The hanging is to tenderise the meat, and depending on temperature you leave it to hang for three to ten days before it's taken down for butchering.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.