[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How different is driving a petrol than a diesel? My family has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 15

File: DIESEL DIESEL.gif (139KB, 501x569px) Image search: [Google]
DIESEL DIESEL.gif
139KB, 501x569px
How different is driving a petrol than a diesel?
My family has always had diesel manual cars. I did my driving test in a diesel and my first car is one too. Except for diesel, I have only recently driven 100% electric but never a petrol.
I have always been told petrols are shit for various reasons and to avoid them. How much true is it?
I noticed petrols are much cheaper to buy and I'm tempted to get one, but that's an equivalent of coming out as a gay in my field of friends...
>>
>>17883730
Reasonably modern cars are pretty similar, at least in the US. I don't know if life might suck in a 0.5L European gas engine, but I've driven 1.5Ls before and they were just fine. They rev higher and don't have quite the same grunt down low.

Most cars burn gas in the US, and we seem to enjoy them quite a lot, so unless we're using magic pixie dust and you aren't I don't see what the problem should be.
>>
petrols need less air to make the same amount of power as a diesel, so naturally aspirated diesels are always going to be more powerful than a naturally aspirated diesel equivalent. Petrols aren't that much more expensive to fuel and they're less noisy. (petrol is like coming out as gay) has it ever occured to you that your friends might be the gay ones?
>>
>>17883746
>so naturally aspirated diesels are always going to be more powerful than a naturally aspirated diesel equivalent
naturally aspirated petrol always more powerful than NA diesel equivalent ***
>>
From my experience manual petrol cars are a bit easier to stall as they have less torque especially on low RPMs compared to diesel with similar power, but you'll get used to it quickly.
>>
>>17883730
Diesels tend to be better for bigger vehicles but for cars petrol is much better. Higher revs, much better throttle response and a lot smoother.
Diesels pull more up to about 2500rpm but offer very little beyond that, whereas in a petrol car you're only really starting to get into the powerband at 2500rpm.
>>
File: ItsAllGood.gif (993KB, 255x271px) Image search: [Google]
ItsAllGood.gif
993KB, 255x271px
The smartest thing to do is comparing the same cars with the two different engines being the approximate same size.

If we do that, then the "general" differences are

>diesel is more fuel efficient when at peak operating temperature
This is due to the nature of the diesels high pressure and lower RPM
>diesel is slower
Diesels produce less horsepower, rev slower and does not attain as high RPMs as petrol
>diesel is stronger
They've got more torque and are more suited for hauling heavy stuff
>petrol warms up quicker
A modern diesel engine is very heat-loss effective compared to petrol, and thus warms up slower
>petrol starts easier
Because a petrol does not need a glow plug system, has lower cylinder pressure and the petrol fuel doesn't gel it starts easier, especially when the temperatures start going below freezing

In my opinion; I prefer petrol for daily drivers, sedans, station wagons and so on that just carry people and some luggage, and are used mostly around town and such. Diesel is for vehicles that do long-distance driving, tow/carry a lot of stuff (or are generally just heavy) or toweable generators

What you will notice first is probably the less torque of the petrol, as you'll easily stall the engine when attempting to set off as you're used to being able to just let the clutch out and have the vehicle go. With petrol you'll have to use the throttle aswell at the same time (this applies to cars with "average commuter/small" engines that aren't very torquey. It won't be an issue if you're driving a V8 Mustang
>>
>>17883768
Yea I have noticed that.
My Grande Punto with 1.9 JTD 130BHP engine drives the best between 1000-2000RPM but really loses it beyond 2500RPM. I was wondering if there is something wrong with it or if im doing something wrong.
>>
>>17883779
>It won't be an issue if you're driving a V8 Mustang
my dad has a 2014 and I took off in 3rd without realizing it lmao
>>
>>17883764
This is true. My driving instructor had a ~100hp diesel and even early on I hardly ever stalled it. My first car was an 80bhp 1.2 petrol and I stalled it quite a bit at first. Now I have a 140bhp petrol car I literally never stall
Fucking minibuses though man, I drove a (diesel) Transit minibus once and the clutch on that was fucking awful. Had a weird kick at the start of the bite point and actually applied some revs every time you brought the clutch up (apart from upshifts), which is a totally retarded feature.
>>
>>17883779
>What you will notice first is probably the less torque of the petrol, as you'll easily stall the engine when attempting to set off as you're used to being able to just let the clutch out and have the vehicle go. With petrol you'll have to use the throttle aswell at the same time (this applies to cars with "average commuter/small" engines that aren't very torquey. It won't be an issue if you're driving a V8 Mustang
I'm in europe, and I've noticed that between USA and us there is quite a difference in what you consider small/big engine.
In here, anything 1.6 and above is considered large.
>>
>>17883784
That's pretty normal. Most diesels aren't arranged to deliver much beyond about 3000RPM. Diesel fuel burns more slowly, which means it's better suited to efficiently delivering its power at relatively lower piston speeds.
>>
File: 20150727_223824_resized.jpg (559KB, 1491x839px) Image search: [Google]
20150727_223824_resized.jpg
559KB, 1491x839px
>>17883804
Thats a good point - I mean, I've scratched my head a few times thinking why the hell people have V6 Camrys and so on for daily drivers over in the US

The 2.4 V6 I had in my Merc was considered a good bit above average...
>>
In Australia the Diesel Petrol market is pretty balanced, I've been told to stay away from diesel as they hard and expensive to fix, From my knowlegde diesel is cheaper to run and is more efficent, but all my skills are in petrol engines. They are literally just upscaled lawn mower engines, they are easy to fix, and if you buy the right one it will take quite a beating.
>>
>>17883804
1.6 is still considered a small engine I'd say
about 2.0 is an average-sized engine while anything above around 2.5 will make people think it's a rocket ship
>>
>>17883820
This is exactly the issue I have. 50% of people I know tells me petrol are expensive to fix, and other 50% that diesel are cheaper to run.
I don't know who to trust any more
>>17883829
In a small car like Leon or Punto, anything about 1.6 would make it a rocket. 1.9 is considered normal for cars like Passat or Insignia. Anything above 2.0 is a raceboy's dream.
>>
>>17883838
Who are these people?

And do you want to know the truth?
The bits on a diesel that also usually wear out and need replacing are the same ones you'll need to replace on a petrol.

Take care of the car; do your oil changes properly and on time, monitor your water temperature, let them get to the optimal running temperature as often as possible (this bit is most important for diesels) and neither should really be more expensive than the other
>>
>>17883818
We have muscle car heritage, reasonably cheap gas, and no stupid double-tax on displacement. Camry with a nice engine?

>Toyota reliability
>mash the go pedal and it goes

There's no way to loose with that formula
>>
>>17883867
I understand that viewpoint coming from someone who likes a bit of power and understands what it is - but for Chad or Stacy who only cares about
>muh leather seats, infotainment and price
it seems weird that they'd pick that when they never utilize the power and want it to run as cheap as possible
>>
>>17883905
>run as cheap as possible
If they wanted that they wouldn't put $0 down on a %5000 80-year loan no questions asked for a $75k SUV with 18 video screens and a no-questions-asked replacement policy when you wreck it while talking on the phone.

Plenty of people still like getting pushed back into their seats. I at present drive a 2.0 because for as much as I care to pay for a vehicle that gets be a little bit of that
>wheeee!
feeling while handling like a nutjob
>>
>>17883838
diesel is the cheaper one, eg: lawnmower, generator, tractors.
>>
>>17883988
>diesel lawnmower, generator
never seen one of these in the states
>>
>>17883998
Imagine how cool it would be to have a turbodiesel lawnmower rolling coal?

I'd be out there with a gas mask every Sunday evening pissing off my neighbors.
>>
>>17883998
All the commercials ones are diesel, they lasts.
>>
File: tr4.jpg (393KB, 1037x604px) Image search: [Google]
tr4.jpg
393KB, 1037x604px
>>17883829
Lol anything under 4.0 is trash tier in burgerland
>>
>>17884039
>commercial lawnmower
the ones spics drive are gasoline

I agree with the generators though, but none of us here can afford one or wants to buy one
>>
>>17884052
>not buying the triple-cab
Are you poor?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (69KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
69KB, 1280x720px
>>17884052
>4.0 in Europe
Seriously why americans need anything larger than 2.0. Do you ever get above 60MPG (British Gallon)
>>
>>17884057
You're right, desu should have gotten this one
>>
>>17884054
Not true. My cousin got one while having his house built except they gave him a diesel model to hook up to his propane tank so the first time the power went out it made some noise for a few seconds and then broke itself.
>>
>>17884054
Interesting, most of the ones on homedepot are gas.

Here's a diesel one though http://www.kubota.com/product/ZD1500/ZD1500.aspx
>>
>>17884074
>Do you ever get above 60MPG
our gas is so cheap that literally no one cares
>>
>>17884086
>Driving on LPG
How about prices of petrol or diesel?
>>
>>17884074
My prius c averages around 80 mpg (uk)
>>
>>17884091
Petrol and Diesel cost much more than bottled water these days, alas. Now almost as much as milk :(

When I was growing up it was cheap enough that the obvious economical thing to do was to just make the engines bigger.
>>
>>17883730

There's no shame in the kind of car you drive.
Cars are designed for specific purposes. If you're towing heavy loads, doing 4x4 adventuring, you'll want a car with lots of low down torque and power to get moving. On the other extreme, if you're into racing or drifting you'll have a complete separate set of requirements, like solid suspension, power way up high in the rev range and stuff.

Sounds like your friend family/friend circle have a strong err toward diesel engines, id say probably due to lifestyle and practicality more than anything else?

Diesels are "cheaper" to run because the engine wears less cause of (as its been said before) low rpm, efficiency blah blah blah. You replace parts less because they're designed to be tough and durable.

TL;DR
>>There are different engines for different applications. Pick the one that suits you best. Forget what anyone else says.
>>
>>17884074
Vehicles of great freedom, such as this regularly get less than 10mpg
>>
>>17884106
>10mph
I'm crying evertime I need to fuel up my shitbox doing 45mpg
>>
File: king of homers.gif (168KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
king of homers.gif
168KB, 375x375px
>>17884074
>Do you ever get above 60MPG (British Gallon)
Hell no
>>
>>17884116
I smirk errytime I refuel my funbox at 32MPG.
>>
>>17884116
It all pays off when you drive something like this
>>
>>17884137
>drop bracket "lift kit"
>huge rims
>still has IFS
>LEDs everywhere
Nope
>>
>>17884137

Never understood these things. Did they build it just for show? cause that looks impractical as fuck.
>>
>>17884153
Yeah nobody really likes dudebro trucks, the under i hold my statement of under 4.0 blows though
>>
>>17884054
i havent seen a gas generator in like 7 years then again i havent worked with a generator that puts out less then 200kw in years and the last 3 i worked with were 750kw+
>>
>>17884074
my drive to work is between 30 to 300 miles with highway speeds of 80+mph with 100 yard long on ramps off of frontage roads with 45 mph speed limits
>>
>>1788418
Really? I drive a 2.0L turbo sedan daily. Anything bigger feels like driving a goddamn bus.
>>
File: 1501420633861.png (3KB, 263x82px) Image search: [Google]
1501420633861.png
3KB, 263x82px
>>17883730
Having owned both petrol and diesel cars and driven/worked on a large variety of cars, trucks, and vans over the past 4 years, I can safely say that diesel is overrated.

Newer diesels are really not worth the money, too; any money you save from fuel economy will be ruined by higher maintenance and initial purchase costs.
>>
>>17883829
Mine has a 1.8l diesel and my peers thought I bought race car lol

>>17883838
Diesel engines doesn't have spark plugs instead have glow plugs, which I believe are the same in costs.
The problems arises with the injectors, since they're buried deep in the engine and require lots of work and special equipment as you need to reprogram the ECU when you renew them.
Old diesels are bulletproof, you could run an old Volvo using your diherrea if you wanted to, nowadays however they are very fragile and carry that burden called DPF
>>
>>17883779
My car has a small 2.4l petrol and its hard to stall, only 97KW, that said my car weighs under 1000kg
>>
File: DEg8ddYXcAA1xNZ.jpg (38KB, 492x459px) Image search: [Google]
DEg8ddYXcAA1xNZ.jpg
38KB, 492x459px
>>17883730
>How different is driving a petrol than a diesel?
Speaking from experience, I drive both every day, but they're smaller <2l engines

Turbo diesel
- The money you save on fuel compared to petrol may quickly go into repairs when something goes wrong (DPF, diesel injectors, turbo etc.)
- Even with modern turbos it doesn't really start to haul ass until the turbo spools up good and then you're out of revs before you know it
- May be shit in winter depending on the Diesel quality

+ Very easy to drive manual and drive it smoothly
+ Longer servicing intervals
+ More torque means it's pretty nice for highway overtaking and out of town 80-120km/s acceleration
+ Uses less fuel

NA Petrol
- Easier to stall and harder to drive smoothly
- Less torque means quick overtaking requires aggressive downshifting and revving the engine quite high
- Uses more fuel
- More frequent servicing

+ Generally much more responsive throttle
+ Very smooth acceleration from low to high revs
+ Simpler than Turbo Diesel, other parts like clutches and batteries are usually cheaper too
+ Usually heats up quicker in winter which is very nice
>>
>>17886461
>Less torque means quick overtaking requires aggressive downshifting and revving the engine quite high
But that's a positive.
>>
File: bizarro_world[1].jpg (13KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
bizarro_world[1].jpg
13KB, 300x168px
>>17883730
>buying a petrol car
>equivalent of coming out as a gay in my field of friends...
What planet are you from?
>>
>>17886462
Depends on the mood, on the highway I can stick the diesel into 5th (I wish it had 6th it could really use it) and not bother changing gears for anything the whole way.

>>17886469
Probably eastern Europe, over half of cars here are diesels.
>>
>>17886461
>Usually heats up quicker in winter which is very nice
My dad's 420d heats up quicker than my 86. Sometimes when it's just above freezing and there's a lot of traffic I can't get my oil temperature above 150°F even after a 45 minute commute. And some idiots put oil coolers on these cars...
>>
>>17886471
And in my gas car I can leave it in 6th the whole way (this is a novelty for me, since my previous 2.2L gas engine didn't have enough torks to maintain speed up hills sometimes). But I like changing gears.

Maybe if diesels were more popular here I could change gears even more often. I'd like to try it, really. Turbo diesels pull like mad once they spool up, even if they run out of steam pretty quick.
>>
>>17886485
It's quite uncanny actually, it feels gutless as fuck until the mid-2000s RPM and then when it spools kicks you in the chest until 3000 and then dies again
>>
>>17886490
I drove a diesel truck for a bit. It was crazy. You'd put your foot down and think
>oh fug no way it's going to make it
And then all of a sudden
>ok marching right ahead then!
>how did it do that?
>>
>>17886484
I've always driven turbo diesels for work and had small petrols as personal cars and the rule of thumb was always true.
Various french HDI-s and VW TDI-s always took longer to heat up the coolant and start blowing hot air through the vents.
Of course it could have been a problem with the heater core on all of the diesels but that would be a strange coincidence.

>>17886485
If gasoline wasn't so expensive I'd love to drive a big 3L or more petrol car.
I've driven some of the newer tiny turbo petrol cars and they feel surprisingly gutsy for their volume, I really enjoyed the 1L 125hp Ecoboostm has great fuel economy too, but they'll probably all be dead or completely blown out in 10 years
>>
>>17884074
> Do you ever get above 60MPG

I can on a motorcycle, but Why would I need to?
>>
>>17886499
Oh it's not a rule of thumb, it's basic thermodynamics. Diesels take longer to warm up because there's just more engine to withstand high compression ratios and pressure, more oil, more coolant, and the diesel process is inherently more efficient than the otto process, so there's less energy "wasted" as heat. In addition, the warmer the engine, the better the combustion, so in a cold diesel engine, you need a lot more diesel to actually ignite and run properly, and as we all know, rich mixtures don't burn as hot because of the energy used to evaporate the fuel.

I just thought it curious that modern turbo diesels have overcome all those problems and now petrol engines run compression ratios as high as diesel engines and have gotten so efficient, they now have the issue diesels used to have in the past.
>>
>>17883779
>With petrol you'll have to use the throttle aswell at the same time
honestly, this only applies to cars with a shit power/weight ratio. anything above like 120hp/tonne you can take off without using the throttle if you're careful enough and slip it enough.
also you can take off in 2nd in most cars in case you're on snow or mud or something.
>>
>>17886554
The power to weight ratio is completely irrelevant. My 90 bhp pigfat shitbox was extremely easy to get going in idle, almost impossible in my 86. It's all about the torque in the idle RPM range. What you refer to as "power" is the maximum power at high RPM.
>>
>>17884106
Bronco with a light bar is an exceptional example of freedom.
>>
>>17884137
I hate that paint job. What are the lights pointing at the sky for?

Gonna go to the sand dunes at midnight?
>>
>>17883779
Also diesels are less reliable and dont like the "city life" in terms of constant turning off and on, various revs etc. Also diesels hate being revved high quickly as in "drag race". Thats why you can overtake any diesel in slavland in a fuckin 2.0 neon becase those faggots think IF IT SAYS ITS FASTER ON PAPER I SHOULD BE ABLE TO JUST PRESS THE PEDAL ANd BE FAST. Also the modern twinturbo diesels are even worse in terms of longevity. If you are woreying about consu.ption just gen an econobox or install lpg.>>17883838
Diesem is cheaper to run compared to pure petrol. But its a lot more expensive and frequent to repair. Also >emissions
Also its a lot noisier. Esp if you buy a punto or that tier car it will be as noisy as a soviet bus when driving.
As said prior- diesels dont like the city driving. They are good for towing, highway driving and being a tractor, thats pretty much it.
>>
>>17883730
>petrol
it's called gas you stupid yuropoor, no go let more refugees in.
>>
>>17884137
American here thats fucking ugly
>>
>>17886565
It's about gearing as well, a tall first gear will struggle to move at idle whereas a short one will trundle along quite easily
>>
File: 1503428968659.jpg (5KB, 201x201px) Image search: [Google]
1503428968659.jpg
5KB, 201x201px
>>17886554
>comparing the same cars with the two different engines being the approximate same size
>>
>>17886813
Oh look another illiterate yank that calls a the liquid petroleum spirits, gas. It's not too late to end ignorance, go and get an education or a gun and just end yourself. We are happy with both.
>>
>>17887830
>"The Oxford English Dictionary dates the first use to 1863, when it was spelled "gasolene"."
Uh-huh.
>>
>>17887830
>gasoline
>>
>>17883730

The difference between driving them?

Mostly that petrol requires more finite control.

Many diesels have anti-stall and shit like that so diesel drivers going into petrol cars tend to bunny hop for a little while before they get the hang of it.
>>
Diesel is slower but stronger (more torque for less power) so it works for trucks but not for cars because it's less responsive.
>>
>>17884228
And?
>>
>>17883746
>>17886549
otto cycle is THE most efficient cycle at any given compression ratio

>>17884074
>>17886533
>not having 20mpg (UK) motorcycle
>>
>>17883905
I've an 06 G6 GTP. 3.9l V6. It's alright. I like my Ford 302 a lot more.
>>
>>17883730
This reads like a troll thread, because not even in Europe diesels are more than 50% of the market share.
>>
>>17888215
In some countries they are. But afte 2019 or whenever it is they wont.
>>
>>17883801
>This is true. My driving instructor had a ~100hp diesel and even early on I hardly ever stalled it
Holy shit this, I also trained on a Diesel car but eventually the car crapped out and we had to switch to a petrol for further lessons and it was so goddamn finicky. The diesel was super easy as you could sit on the clutch all day long to pull you up a hill and had tough meaty controls, whereas the petrol needed revs for every little thing with delicate little controls so you'd rev the fuck out of it if your foot was 1 picometer too far.
>>
>>17883779
>petrol starts easier
only in norway
my 1998 french dieselbox will start in half a second even in -20c weather without waiting for the glow plugs
>>
File: citroen_metropolis-1920x1200.jpg (911KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
citroen_metropolis-1920x1200.jpg
911KB, 1920x1200px
>>17888215
You know why? Corny answer, but normies.
I bet you most of the people on the road give absolutely no fucks about their vehicle as long as it has either, or all of:

>marque and status
>good fuel economy
>cheap registration/insurance

Thats it. They dont care about driving excitement, additional running and repair costs; a new leased entry-level 1.6 diesel Mercedes is stilll A MERCEDES. Those who do care either DD an older performance model or have a DD shitbox and and a funcar for the weekend.
>>
File: 20160419_142648.jpg (427KB, 1328x747px) Image search: [Google]
20160419_142648.jpg
427KB, 1328x747px
>>17888821
Aye. This thing here will stand three days still, in -30c, but will start immediately after letting the glow plugs work for about two seonds.

I'd bet that your frenchie does not have a commonrail diesel engine like the one you find in all modern diesel cars - the older ones have fuel compress pretty much right fucking away. For modern engines, where you will need to turn the engine a little bit no matter what, a petrol will start easier and consume less power doing it

And shit, its still relevant that petrols are not as bothered by lower temperatures as diesels are
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.