[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /o/, I've read the sticky and I have a more specific

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0381.jpg (270KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0381.jpg
270KB, 1200x803px
So /o/, I've read the sticky and I have a more specific question aimed at used lare 90's subaru wagons.
From what I've read up so far, the head gasket is the big main problems with them due to the old gasket design and battery placement and care.
Most of the used ones around me go for $2000~ and I have some cash set aside for problems. How big is this issue really?
Also, 4wd/awd on subarus seem to have tight tolerances, am I pretty much out $500 for entire 4 if 1 tire goes out?

Any old subaru owners able to weigh in?

Of course any other recommendations for something not truck big, that I can use to move my stuff to another state and capable for drive out for camping/hiking also appreciated.
>>
>>17883447
its the only real reason why i personally think every and any evo is a better car

its the one main crux of the car aside from needing to pull the engine to do literally any work on it
>>
>>17883447
Head gasket issue affects a limited range of years on the phase II DOHC EJ25, and once replaced is a non-issue as long as you didn't overheat the engine and warp shit or whatever.

As for the tires, it's not that big a deal. Don't run one decent tire and three bald ones anyway. The only reason to worry is if you have a manual wagon because that's the only case where you have a VC diff, and it's in the center, meaning you want the speed of the front and rear axles to be about the same. You're not going to kill anything unless it's way off. Otherwise you'll have to resort to being so autistic that you adjust your relative tire pressures until you get the exact rolling circumference of all four tires equal by marking them with chalk and rolling it down a parking lot.

If it's a late 90s, expect that it's going to start to be doing old car things. But otherwise, they're pretty sturdy battle wagons.
>>
>>17883447
never buy a subaru. just get a civic for 3k.
>>
>>17883487
And if it needs towing, I'm guessing it that I'll need it on a flatbed vs. 2 up towtrucks?
>>
>>17883507
If it's a manual then flatbed for sure. A 2-wheel tow on a manual will turn your center diff from limited slip to open.

Automatic I forget if the clutch pack disengages with the car off or not. Flatbed it just in case.
>>
>>17883499
I need something a bit bigger than a civic, to load stuff into, but not truck size since I am not loading that much stuff.
>>
>>17883507
Actually now I think of it there's a fuse you can pull in an automatic to disable the clutch pack so I would assume it disengages with the car off. But that's something you should look up first before giving it a 2w tow.
>>
>>17883517
post your local craigslist
>>
>>17883517
You can do a lot with a roof rack, mind. I used to have an Impreza OBS and people sometimes thought I was defying reality with how much I was able to pack in and on top of it given sufficiently clever arrangement and strapping.

I moved from one state to another once with less space. After living in a small house for a while it took me 6 OBS trips to move the next time. It'll be a box truck rental next time around.
>>
>>17883541
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/cta?search_distance=9&postal=94122&min_price=1500&max_price=4500
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.