[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/. I've never posted here before but I've lingered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: _DSC0543.jpg (2MB, 6000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0543.jpg
2MB, 6000x4000px
Hey /o/. I've never posted here before but I've lingered on 4Chan since like '09 or some retarded shit. Anyways, I've been getting into the car world for some time now and I know a pretty good amount for a relative normie, but, I've got a few questions maybe you dudes can answer for me.

What's the definition of Stage 1 upgrades as opposed to say Stage 2, or 3? What about something like "Stage 1+?" Is that basically a "Stage 2" equivalent? I ask partly because I was deciding between two super charger kits for my car, one was a "Stage 1" kit, the other a "Stage 3+," yet the horsepower/torque difference was only maybe 60 best case scenario, as well as the quarter mile times and speeds being within 0.5 seconds of each other and like 6 miles per hour difference.

Speaking of, for a car that is daily driven and still has all it's street comforts, what is considered a fairly good quarter mile time?

Lastly, does Nitrous have any real-world benefit?

Sorry if it's a shitty post, blow me.

>Picture not my car, but somewhat related
>>
shameful self bump.
>>
>>17878667
"Stages" are generally just packaged upgrades with a fancy name, and they are all different depending on the company and the marketed car

For the quarter mile times do you have a particular car in mind?

And yeh Nitrous is used alot mostly for the drags and some hardcore street cars
>>
>>17878667
Couldn't speak to your stage # upgrades, have never done those with my cars.
Mine can do a quarter in 13, but I don't know how good that's considered.
Never used No2 either.
>>
>>17878837
I don't know. I mean, the two kits I was deciding between advertise/test to bring the car to like an 11.2 second quarter, or the less powerful kit does it in about 11.7/11.8 on 91 Octance. I generally run 93.

I don't think I'd really benefit from Nitrous.

>>17878845
Yeah, my car as it is now realtively stock should do it in about 13 seconds flat as well.
>>
>>17878858
If your deciding between some supercharger kits you should probably hop on a forum specific to your car and check if anyone else is running them, and you can probably find some quarter mile times too to get a good idea of what you want to aim for
>>
What's the car?
>>
>>17878885
It's an '09 Audi S5

>>17878880
I'm on a few forums. The more powerful kit seems to be out of production, but the "lower end kit" seems really good/daily reliable from reviews, as well as the company releasing a "Stage 1+" soon, which adds fueling upgrades for the package to the car as well as an intercooler.
>>
Usually stage 1 just does a 'chip' reprogramming to speed up the car. Aka reprograms the computer to run the engine faster.

Stage 2 usually reprograms further but when they testes this power level the stock parts may have failed and the stage 2 tune replaces the parts that can't handle the extra power.

Stage 3 assumes stage 2 upgrades and adds more power and more parts to replace weak parts that fail w the extra power etc.

The engine the company designs may have been capable of more power but due to reasons like feul consumption, material cost vs a price point the car must reach companies will weaken the engine.

Usually the dealers will install the 'best' tunes for a brand. BMW does dynan I think Audi does APR(?). But these groups seem to have some inside knowledge on where compromises were made in the engines and thus when they offer tunes the warranty won't be violated.

For my car I can do the dynan from the dealer stage 1 with about 40 mph gain, no parts. However for the same price I can get a JBM tune and gain 80 hp...but this tune is not BMW affiliated and coincidentally there are engine parts that have a high failure rate with it. So the price Is the same but in reality it should be a chip and a parts change and really costs way more to ensure the engine won't blow up.
>>
The stages vary from car to car but the easiest way to look at it is stage one will generally be simple bolt ons such as intakes, throttle bodies, chips/tunes, exhaust, boost controllers. Stage two adds upon that with more significant upgrades such as upgraded turbos, intercoolers, injectors, fuel pumps, underdrive pullies. Stage three will be the most significant addressing internals such as pistons, cranks, cams, headwork. By the time you get to stage three, it's likely you won't be running pump gas anymore and your daily drivability diminishes. Again, this varies from platform to platform but that should give you some idea of how it progresses.
>>
>>17878934
What did you pay for it? When did you buy it?
>>
>>17879617

You are absolutely incorrect. First of all, it's Dinan. And Dinan makes it clear that some upgrades will void the manufactures' warranty. BMW will not install your Dinan components. I suspect you don't have any of the letters yet...
>>
>>17879741
My car has Dinan tune that does NOT void the warranty and the dealer will do it
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.