[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /o/ know if mercedes ml350 is good offroad? I plan on getting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

Does /o/ know if mercedes ml350 is good offroad?

I plan on getting one and lifting it. Pic related
>>
File: mercedesw163thelostworlzv9.3295.jpg (199KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mercedesw163thelostworlzv9.3295.jpg
199KB, 1024x768px
My inspiration. Trying to build something like this
>>
>>17871002

Lifted ml-class is good as lifted Jeep Wangler but not best as G-wagen.
>>
In short no.

Wrong kind of four wheel drive and not reliable and no aftermarket.

For the money there's better choices. Obviously a land rover defender, high end jeep wranglers, even a f-250 short bed, single cab can rock crawl with the right tires
>>
it's a fucking crossover, no
>>
File: gelandewagen.jpg (33KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
gelandewagen.jpg
33KB, 600x399px
>>17871002
>not importing a G wagen from Leaftown
>>
>>17872000
Stock overpriced, glorified Touareg aka Porsche Cayenne Turbo vs Jeep wranglers with $50k mods.

Stock Porsche vs modded wrangler - offroad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9INWbm43co

Modded ml-class may be good as them. Not cheap for sure.
>>
>>17872035
germans only make one true off roader, well two but we dont have the amarok... g wagen
>>
just buy hilux and fuck off with this fancy shit
well tacoma whatever
>>
>>17872057
tacoma is a grocery getter, the motor is a camry engine
>>
>>17872046

Yeah, but as a jeep owner and off-roader I'm impressed that the Porsche did that well and that you actually took one off road. I mean it is stock. No modifiers at all. I can't image what modded cayenne can do.
>>
>>17872100
It's often forgotten that the Porsche cayenne was designed for offroad ability. It has water proof doors and can through water up to its hood, can receive skid plates from the factory, and has real 4WD. The earlier models had a two-speed transfer case; and this was removed because they just decided to have really low gears in the ninespeed for the cayenne. It was made to compete with range rovers and gwagons in all aspects.

The ml is interesting. The suv was supposed to replace the gwagon when introduced, and had some offroad intent in its first generation. Since Merc decided to keep the g, the ml turned into a road only suv. So if you want to take an ml offroad, the earlier models should be better for you.

My last statement is about modding these vehicles. Most luxury crossovers use multilink suspension. This allows for much greater control over suspension behavior so like the cayenne can have good handling on road, but also have suspension travel off. The problem is that multilink has physical limits as the length of the links and the angle of their mounts are in a strict ratio. You can't get more travel or lift by swapping control arms. If you want better suspension, you have to swap the whole suspension. Those lifted crossovers you see at carshows and other promotional stuff usually do one of two things: they simply cut into the bodywork to fit larger wheels on stock suspension, or replace the whole suspension with a custom made kit that cost 100k-300k. If you want to go offroading in a crossover, either buy one that is designed for some offroad and armor it up, or get a cheaper crossover with conventional suspension and an aftermarket.
>>
>>17873740
The Porsche suffers the same fate of those competitors you listed, they can all do well off road, most people who buy them though have no interest in it at all though.

But they do have the capability.
>>
File: Kamel.png (960KB, 1069x850px) Image search: [Google]
Kamel.png
960KB, 1069x850px
Be a real badass and build one of these
>>
>>17871037
I loved The Lost World too anon but it was just a movie. Most of that gear is plastic.
>>
>>17871002
Not really. They're full time AWD with OPEN differentials and traction control that uses the brakes, they're also fairly problem prone and ugly as all fuck.
>>
>>17872058
Also, try actually taking a taco off the road, it'll split in half. My old POS Recalloma rusted so fast I couldn't get the recall done fast enough.

It collapsed and took out my driveshaft and tcase. That shit was not covered under the recall.
>>
>>17871002
Just do what >>17873740 said and buy an off-road crossover and just armor it. The Porsche cayenne and any range rover (they all use basically the same suspension and drivetrain aside from evoque) can be gotten used, and for something newer, the Jeep Cherokee trailhawk is good offroad too.
>>
>>17872006
First-gen ML is a bona fide body-on-frame offroader with switchable transfer case and shit.

But all of ML series has problems with motors and transmissions.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.