[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

With gas cheap and mpg so good, why hasn't GM relaunched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

File: Hummer-H2-SUT-2004.jpg (157KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Hummer-H2-SUT-2004.jpg
157KB, 1024x768px
10 years ago they were pigs with shit interior and horrible MPG. They should relaunch with aluminum bodies, high end margin interiors, and efficient engines. It's a no brainer, right? A $100k 2020 Hummer H1 would steal sales from Range Rover and G-Wagon.
>>
File: JFqNf.png (20KB, 553x759px) Image search: [Google]
JFqNf.png
20KB, 553x759px
Because they didn't sell in sufficient numbers even when gas was cheap, and its no longer considered a status symbol so reviving it would do it no good
>>
Because the worst type of cunt that used to drive a Hummer now drives a G-Wagen
>>
>>17852517
Jeep Wrangler and Jeep GC are segment dominators. Literally keep FCA afloat. Those should be Hummer sales
>>
File: h2image14.png (180KB, 576x284px) Image search: [Google]
h2image14.png
180KB, 576x284px
the hummer brand is a toxic joke
>>
>>17852510
Because GM never made the original hummer. AM General made hmmwv's for the military and decided to sell a civilian H1 like they did before with the M151 and CJ series. GM later bought the brand, but manufacturing and the actual vehicle rights were retained with AM General.

A straight revival of the H1 is out because it is/was a terrible vehicle to live with. It was obnoxiously big and especially wide which made tight spaces a bitch. It also had uncomfortable seating because all the things like the transmission, driveline, exhaust, etc. that would be on the underside of a normal car was pulled up into the body leaving a huge center hump that leaves about 18" of width on both side for passengers. It was stupid expensive with none of the refinement that the RR or G Wagon get you for the money. It's also undercut on the low end by gov't surplus HMMWV's that you can pick up for $5000-$7000 from liquidation auctions.

The H2 was also a AM General creation and managed to be an even worse abortion of a vehicle than the aztek. Stupid big, but without the interior space and ability of the H1. Interior space was minimal as was visibility. it was a big tonka truck for suburbanite losers.

We won't discus the H3 because that's just a butched up tahoe with no visibility and shit styling.

It doesn't have any of the cultural cache of the Wrangler. It has none of the luxury and status of the RR and G Wagon. It has none of the everyday practicality livability of all three. The only thing Hummer ever had was the stretch from '95 to '01 where it fit in with the look-at-me consumerism and plastic patriotism that was America.
>>
File: stretch range.jpg (102KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
stretch range.jpg
102KB, 640x480px
>>17852653
>>
>>17852671
Nobody thinks of that when they see a Range Rover tho.

When they see a Hummer the think of MTV cribs and bobby bottle service
>>
>>17852510
>With gas cheap and mpg so good, why hasn't GM relaunched Hummer to compete with Jeep?
The Jeep Sahara with its boxy squared off sides and back is all too similar as a tiny "hummer". It's also much more navigable on city roads, parking lots, and is far more fuel efficient than any hummer.
>>
>>17852662
>The H2 was also a AM General creation
that's wrong though. the H2 and H3 were both Gm creations, and based on existing GM platforms. Which is why they were garbage. Hummer had nothing to do with AM General past the H1.

that said, the "Hummer" brand as a brand, is owned by GM. so they can do whatever they want with it. Am general does not own Hummer. What they own, is the HMMWV.

This is why GM was able to and tried to sell the brand in 2009
>>
>>17852510
>A $100k 2020 Hummer H1 would steal sales from Range Rover and G-Wagon.

This is what gmcucks believe
>>
>>17852517
This is 100% correct. Any gm brand killed in the bailout is never coming back. Sorry Pontiac fans, it's too good to be true.
>>
>>17852510
Gas only became cheap last summer, and very quickly.

And Obama and his cabinet was still in the White House.

This kind of revival isn't something you can shit out within that short a timespan. this is something that needs to be planned for years beforehand. Like the Mid Engine Corvette, or the Wrangler pickup.

In general, Car culture in America has not yet recovered from the damage Obama and high gas prices did to it.

And now Texas being under water is on path to ruining gas prices again for a while.

until the new Administration can do something about fuel economy standards, we can't return to what car culture was before 2009.
>>
>>17853563
pontiac and saturn and oldmobile shouldn't come back. but all the profits are in trucks and SUVs. a proper hummer knockoff of the wrangler / old school ford bronco would sell like hotcakes
>>
>>17852510
What's even the point in reviving the Hummer brand for all of that? It's like you want to see GM crash and fucking burn, which... hey, I don't even mind at all at this point.
>>
>>17852510
Because AM General, the company that actually made them, can't afford the risk. Their military contracts are the only thing keeping them afloat currently. It's what kept them from going bankrupt after discontinuing the civilian hummer.

Just earlier this year they sold their commercial plant. Now the only assembly facility they have is the one still pumping out humvees.

I work for them, and the longer I do the less I care about the company.
>>
>>17856238

AM General didn't make the H2 or H3, those were just GM trash.
>>
>>17852510
>mpg so good
>hummer
lol no
>>
>>17856404
i believe the point is the new GM suv engines are far more efficient than they were 10-15 years ago. the large suvs are getting low-mid 20s mpg now
>>
>>17852662
Only the HMMWV/H1 has a place in my heart.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.