[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what if an engine had 2 sets of cylinders? one set that has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: sketch-1504901428095.png (117KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
sketch-1504901428095.png
117KB, 1440x2560px
what if an engine had 2 sets of cylinders?

one set that has a short stroke with a wide bore and another set that has a long stroke with a narrower bore but both sets get the same displacement

I'm not at all an engineer but I assume that this would provide a better balance between high revs and mid range torque even without forced induction

Honda and Hyundai have patented engines with different sized cylinders but the strokes are all the same across the crank
>>
>>17842634
You'd be limiting yourself to the rev's of the longer stroke ones and wouln't be able to effectively use either the longer or the shorter stroke pistons
>>
>>17842634
That would be extremely hard to balance
it would shake itself apart lmao
>>
You might be onto something. Just add Direct Exhaust Injection and it's perfect.
>>
>>17842882
that's old technology
forced injection is what's up
>>
It would
Shake itself apart
Be worse than its "averaged out" counterpart
Need a new crank every week
Need a new cam for each set
Its a pain to do so
Sure, maybe you could, but my question is why
>>
>>17842634
Steam engines do this but the thing is they don't operate at thousands of RPMs.
>>
>>17842889
So forced injection uses Racing Acetylene Petroleum Extract right?
>>
>>17843058
>>17843108
>>17842684
how about if a proper balance is achieved?
>>17842671
but there would be half as many so it would create less resistance
definitely would have to beef up the rings and gaskets tho
>>
>>17843108
Steam engines do it to recover energy from otherwise wasted steam.
>>
>>17843267
>I'm not an engineer, what could go wrong with this?
>Someone with more knowledge than you points out an obvious flaw
>"But that's wrong obviously"
If you don't understand how the physics works, then don't make "I feel like..." statements about it. Engine resistance doesn't behave entirely linearly.
>>
>>17843302
They also probs don't have them connected to the same crank.
>>
>>17843310
so pushing a 50kg rock is the same amount of work as pushing a 100kg rock.....wow thanks mr engineer

t. samefag
>>
>>17843388
No, more like
>Oil is not necessarily newtonian.
>Driving a piston at a higher angular rate than it would normally be running at takes a lot of work, thermodynamically speaking
>Longer stroke length and smaller diameter on the same crank shaft means you're adding friction for less benefit
>You're basically running two engines at the same time on the same crankshaft
The performance differences you'd expect by different bore/stroke ratios don't behave the same when you add them together. It's not a linear problem.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.