[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /o/ I'm looking for a car that can double as both

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 01414_8OerM9KU4Sc_600x450.jpg (42KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
01414_8OerM9KU4Sc_600x450.jpg
42KB, 600x448px
Alright /o/ I'm looking for a car that can double as both my daily driver and something I can race if I want to. So what that means is reliability and RWD, so all American cars are out and most Hondas too. I'm also on a shit poor budget like real shit poor. Doing my own research, I arrived at the Miata NA 1.8 version being a great car to do the job. It's cheap and reliable and lots of people use it for drifting and MX. However, I've also had a lot of people say that they're slow cars and not actually good for what I'm looking for. Is the Miata a safe bet or should I go with something else? (Also, I have a preference towards older cars but airbags are nice for insurance)
>>
you could go for an old BMW M as well
>>
>>17828026
>reliability and RWD
So an F-body or Mustang isn't in your search....why?
>>
>>17828026
Miata is the slow and safe bet, if you actually want to go fast you either turbo it, or you go buy one of the many used cars for a couple thousand extra a short list going like this:
Older m bmws (e30. Etc)
Older lexus models (Ls, SC, is)
F body mustangs
Civics or preludes
>>
>>17828026
As someone who had a 95' Miata, let me say this OP (provided you aren't a troll)

The 1.8 is a fantastically fun little roadster, and you can DD it if you want to.

However, the more you modify it to to "race", the shittier of a DD it will become. I know someone who tried to daily a stripped out, lowered, turbo'd NA as a DD and it was fucking miserable.

Plus, if you are on a shit poor budget, you don't need to start stripping down/modifying your DD to "race". Either get a comfortable, reliable DD first, then save some more, then get a toy OR buy something you'd be happy with as is until you have the funds to get a boring shitbox for backup transportation
>>
>>17828057
Do you know how tricky / expensive it would be -to- turbo it?

>>17828081
What would a good in-between be then between DD and racecar? Just turbo? A few other things?
>>
>>17828494
First, define racecar? What do you wanna do? Go to AutoX? Drag race? or do you just want something that feels fast when you drive it?
>>
>>17828513
Not so much into drag racing but I might take it to the local strip, more concerned with autox. Feeling fast when I drive it is an added bonus
>>
bumpin
>>
>>17828535
You'll feel fast anyway in an MX5 since they're so low, and they have more than enough power to be competitive in autocross events.
>>
File: unknown.png (620KB, 1024x634px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
620KB, 1024x634px
>>17828026
Let's be realistic here.

>I'm looking for a daily driver.
The Miata is not a bad choice.

>I'm looking for something I can race if I want to.
The Miata is not a bad choice with modifications.

>I'm looking for a car that can double as both my daily driver and something I can race if I want to.
I mean, if you're talking about occasional autox and such, light (and that's a relative term) modifications will do the trick. A stock Miata is pretty underpowered, and there's no cheaper way to get good power gains than turbocharging it. So there's that option. You'd also need to put in some basic safety equipment such as a roll bar, harness, etc. but for small events like autox the safety regulations aren't too strict. If you're truly serious about *racing* it though, with other cars involved, you're basically looking at stripping down the entire car to its bare essentials.

In short, it's good for both, but only if you only plan on doing motorsports with minimal regulations (so you don't have to gut the whole car and add in cages and shit)

So here's where the realism comes in:
You aren't going to be turbocharging the car for a long time, likely never at all, because a proper kit is expensive and knowledge doesn't come quickly. Forced induction is usually every Miata owner's end goal and very few people end up going through with it simply because of the work involved.
>>
>>17828057
>E30 M3
Anon...
>>
>>17830158
10/10 post. Yeah I had that same idea of like "turbocharging it is the end goal" but likely won't happen anytime soon (and while I'm at it, why are some turbo kits 3k and others only like 600? Am I missing something? It is from the states. http://www.ebay.com/itm/1994-2005-MAZDA-MIATA-MX-5-1-8L-T25-T28-TURBO-UPGRADE-PIPING-KIT-W-INTERCOOLER-/231743438786?fits=Model%3AMiata&hash=item35f4fc3fc2:g:ZNoAAOSwv~xXEAL7&vxp=mtr).

That said, I had some plans on racing friends, there's only one or two friends who would have anything that isn't a truck and the main one is going to be me vs 460 HP, so I'd likely lose on any sort of drag scenario, which is one reason why I'm trying to specialize in autox (because his car is a 60s chevy with a body heavier than an overweight American and can't do turns for shit; also I just don't find drag racing very appealing).

If >>17830130 is correct and Miatas have no problem power wise for doing autox, then I still might go with it, it does seem like a very solid choice still, and I'm not sure I've seen anything better stock, save the Nissan 300 / 350 etc, and I'm kinda on the fence about those.
>>
>>17828026
>>17828535
An S2000 or a Mustang would be just fine for your retarded conditions
Ask me how I know you don't wrench too
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.