[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is parallel parking so difficult? It seems so highly counter-intuitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1204929940082.jpg (31KB, 400x269px) Image search: [Google]
1204929940082.jpg
31KB, 400x269px
Why is parallel parking so difficult?

It seems so highly counter-intuitive that most people use rigid techniques as opposed to general spatial awareness as for other angles. A lot of otherwise good drivers will openly admit that they cannot parallel-park worth shit. Myself I only try it when the space is like 1.5 car-lengths wide. I wouldn't consider myself a good driver either, but I can handle other angles well enough.
>>
Because of the way modern cars are designed you just can't see a fuckin thing

It's like all they think about is if you can see straight forward and fuck everything else
>>
>>17805436
It seems difficult enough even with better visibility.
>>
>>17805320
I only parallel park when I can whip right in, when I have to back into a spot I'll usually hunt around for another spot. doesn't help to be driving a fat ass truck with a long box
>>
>>17805320
Get better at driving.

And some of those 'rigid techniques' are very good.
>>
>>17805320
It isn't.

>pull alongside car in front of space you want
>start reversing
>when your back wheel reaches the ens of the car in front start turning
>when the nose of your car reaches the end of the car in front start turning back the other way
>????
>wowit'sfuckingnothing.jpg
>>
Parallel parking is easy, but it's not simple. Doing it requires a very specific technique that really has no other applications in most people's commutes.

If you parallel park regularly of course it's going to be easy for you to do since you practice it, but if you never need to do it and suddenly find yourself having to remember/figure where to place your car, how to move it and what to line up with, then you're gonna have a shit time.
>>
Buy a car with automatic parking.
>>
>pull up along side a spot
>cut wheel one way
>reverse
>cut wheel back
>pull forward and straighten out
>done

All you really have to to is be able to feel how long your car is. This is the only area where people really fuck up. Get a feeling of where the front of your car needs to be in relation to where you're trying to back in. Building up the skill just takes practice, and practice builds confidence.
>>
>>17807047
If you're not reversing, you're not parallel parking.
>>
>>17806590
I can parallel park my long bed 80s pickup easier than my gf's '16 Kia

The reason why is because I can actually see behind and to the sides of the vehicle
>>
>>17807637
>this

can parralel park a 1990 f-250 with extended cab in full length bed, but fuck me if i can park my sonic without touching the curb
>>
>>17807527
I know it makes sense but that's not gonna happen. Right now I cannot afford it, and if I could, I'd buy a classic anyway.

>>17807375
I'm not saying they ain't good, I was just thinking aloud about how unintuitive this is to require those techniques in the first place.
>>
>>17805320
I never do it with my Ferrari.
>>
>>17808599
Bread on hood or gtfo
>>
>>17808636
If I had one, it would definitely be a 360 coupe.
With manual transmission.
>>
I'm scared of touching other people's cars so I only do it when there is really enough space. Nobody can actually tell how much space there is to the car behind, some people just don't care and drive really slowly until they bump it.
>>
>>17805320
Ask me how I know you are an american
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.