[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Technical question. Thinking of a modern car that's stuffed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 5
Thread images: 1

File: 000122f8ff6a-69eb-4f47-b.jpg (65KB, 824x457px) Image search: [Google]
000122f8ff6a-69eb-4f47-b.jpg
65KB, 824x457px
Technical question. Thinking of a modern car that's stuffed with electronics and only comes with an automatic transmission (pic somewhat related), would it even be possible to swap in a manual transmission without needing to get rid of almost all electronics and implementing a standalone ecu or are the single components (ecu, transmission control, ESC, ...) just too hardwired?
>>
Mercedes is shit. Only Turks drive that crap. Lexus is better and more reliable.
>>
Anything is possible, but it would cost way too much. Yes the computer systems are all integrated, always checking to make sure each one is present.

Take a far more simpler auto only sedan, the crown vic. You can swap a manual in but the ECU on it's routine check will not sense the automatic transmission, it will then throw a Check Engine light and go into limp mode, not allowing you to go over 5mph. You have to have a tuner adjust the ECU to not look for the transmission on start up, fairly simple to do, but of course they have the software and you don't so it's a couple hundred dollars to push a few buttons. This is with a car that's been manual swapped thousands of times. A more unique project will require more resourcefulness and money to throw at it.
>>
>>17780239
That it would be highly complex and expensive is clear to me. I just came to think of it while reading an article about an endurance race-spec BMW M4 where they pulled out some OEM electronics and spend weeks to convince the remaining electronics that those are not needed. However that were probably gimmicks like parking sensors, not something like the transmission which most certainly plays a role in the ECU's programming. But I guess you're right. Giving such a car to an experienced tuner and throwing money at him until it's done would do the job. Street legality is another matter, at least around here.
>>
>>17780261
Newer and newer the ECU is becoming more complex and centralized, frankly making them more difficult to remove certain parts.
Thread posts: 5
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.