[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Weird rpm idle Recently my car has been idling fairly high (around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

Weird rpm idle
Recently my car has been idling fairly high (around 2000rpm in a 4 cylinder) but then every so offten when I start it up the idle will be back down around 1000rpm it seems to change everytime I start it. Is my car fucked? It's a 220000 mile car so I know issues are expected
>>
>>17763745

throttle body is sticking, clean it.
>>
>>17763775
Anything else I should clean while I'm at it?
Spark plugs? air filter?
>>
There are several options.

One is a dirty throttle body.
One is an idle air control valve that is dirty and sticky
One is a leak in the intake behind the mag
One is a leak in the exhaust pre o2 sensor
One is a vacuum leak.

It's probably a combination of a couple. You need to give your shit some tlc so to speak
>>
>>17763745
High idles are 9 out of 10 times caused by a failure in the air intake portion of a engine. Basically air is getting in when or where it shouldn't.

>>17763802
has most of the probable issues.
>>
>>17763802
What's the best ways to test for these things and what would be the overall cost to fix them myself.
>>
>>17763821
Google you're make of car/engine and see if there's information available on how to do most of these things.

Vacuum leaks can usually be heard pretty audibly with a strong hissing sound.

Cleaning a throttle body only requires a clean rag and some carb cleaner.

You might have to reset/relearn the throttle body position after you've cleaned it. Google how to as well. Will probably require a ODB scan tool. Most independent shops carry one around and will do it for you for a small fee seeing as its literally 3 min of work.

Good luck
>>
You won't have to mess with whatever bullshit the post above me is talking about..

It's taking shit apart and putting it back together again. You've gotta figure out what shit, and that part is free.

You will need a spray can of cleany shit.
You'll probably need a throttle body gasket. You can make one out of cardboard.

You need to read about your car and just do it.
>>
>>17763745
It might be a battery issue, a low voltage will cause the idle to sit higher to keep generated power up.
>>
>>17764032
My battery is the smallest one I have ever seen on a car and I'm in new York so everything is rusty as shit so bad connections are common here, is there a way to improve what I have other then buying a new battery
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.