[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>been driving stick for 3 weeks now >still can't shift

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 1370091373500.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1370091373500.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>been driving stick for 3 weeks now
>still can't shift into 5th gear.

Its keeps going to 3rd. what am I doing wrong
>>
Are you definitely putting it in fifth? Get someone who can drive stick and ask them to engage fifth, to find if you're broken or the car is.
>>
>>17762032
D-do you even have a 5 speed manual?
>>
>>17762032
Just play with shifter while parked with engine off. Also 3 weeks isnt that much, especially if your car has one of those odd shifting patterns.
>>
File: 2134.png (8KB, 571x444px) Image search: [Google]
2134.png
8KB, 571x444px
It looks like this. I keep pushing it int he direction of 5 but it just goes to 3. I can get it when the car is off though and im playing around with the shifter, never when im driving tho
>>
>>17762032
I don't understand are your paddle shifters broken or something?
>>
>>17762083
You might have a fucked synchro.
>>
I could be wrong, that being said I probably am but I think OP literally means he's not able to get the stick into the 5th slot and he fucking potatoes/butterfingers his stick and unintentionally shoves it in 3rd.
>>
>>17762083
most important:

Take your time.

When going out of 4th you should be able to let go of the stick and it'll sit in the middle in neutral. (you could make sure by releasing the clutch, your engine should not be engaged to the driveline)
in the neutral stand you can move left or right. you'll feel it.
when going left or right and letting go the stick it'll go back to center.
when you are absolutely sure you have moved to right (from the neutral center!) you should only have to gently put it in 5th by moving forward.
If the first milimeter of movement from center is more forward than to the right you are heading to 3th and this cannot be corrected other than by going back to neutral center and really moving to the right.
>>
>>17762032

What car?

Bonus keks if it's a 4 speed with a swapped gearshift knob
>>
I don't understand whats so fucking difficult to comprehend about stick shift

>accelerate
>engine starting to rev higher and power delivery becoming less consistent
>shift the stick to the next gear
>keep doing this until you stop accelerating
>>
Here's how you solve it:

>go to the airport
>travel to a random European country
>enroll in a driving school
>let them teach you how to drive with the manual gearbox
>do some other lesson to git gud
>go back to the airport and fly back to your American homeland state
>>
>>17762496

>post on local car meet Facebook page
>"sup guys I want to learn to drive manual but I don't have any friends with manual cars will someone teach me this saturday I'll pay you $50 and we can eat pizza too"
>get a bunch of replies, finally accept one from a guy 2 streets down from me with a dilapidated old Mustang
>he doesn't get mad about me grinding gears because it's just his parts car
>dude refuses the $50 and is content with the papa johns we went and bought

It's not that fucking hard.
>>
>>17762528
I never ground gears learning, mostly just stalled or bucked . For me the hardest part was clutch control, plus I didn't find out till later it had a fukt slave cylinder
>>
i presume you're an amerikek so push away from you then towards the centre console. If it doesnt work it's either
>fucked
>you're retarded
>it's a 4 speed and you're retarded

what car is it?
>>
>>17762496
This. At least in here in there are no automatic cars in driving schools and maybe 60 to 70% cars in traffic are manuals.
>>
>>17762751
>mfw driving with my instructor years ago and saw a completely retarded learner take five minutes to do a turn in the road
>mfw it was a car from the "Automatic Driving School"

Googled it and we spent five minutes laughing at the fact it existed.
>>
sit in your driveway with your car off and slowly shift in each gear.

one of my buddies would exaggerate the FUCK out of his shift into 5th, he would push the shifter straight up, then over to the right then straight up shifting into 5th instead of doing it all in one weird chicane motion. every time revs would drop below 5th gear's RPM in that specific gear so when he engages the clutch the car would jerk a little.

shifting into 2nd is straight down
shifting into 3rd, you nudge the shifter forward and allow it to centre, then nudge it up into 3rd
shifting into 4th is straight down
shifting into 5th you dont have to wait for the shifter to centre, so its up to middle, over then up.
>>
File: IMG_0406.gif (460KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0406.gif
460KB, 500x281px
>>17762083
You might be a severe autist by shifting incorrectly
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.