[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been looking for a new car lately and have a budget

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 2

File: benz.jpg (88KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
benz.jpg
88KB, 640x360px
I've been looking for a new car lately and have a budget of about 2500 canadian monopoly dollars. I found this Mercedes 190E 2.6L from 1990 for a reasonable price (2500, might be able to get for 2200) and it is in good condition - drive-able, comes with 4 winter tires, supposedly the only real issue is a cracked windshield. What does /o/ think? Good buy? Is it a good car in the first place? It's got less horsepower than my old E36, but it looks fucking comfy.

My friend said it looks like an 'old lady car', but then again he drives a 4 cylinder FWD car so he doesn't really know what he's talking about. So, from people who actually know shit about cars - does it?
>>
Forgot to mention, it's an automatic. Not my ideal choice of transmission, but it's hard enough to find any nice cars that aren't super generic FWD shitboxes let alone one that's also a manual and not a cobalt/sunfire/civic/one of those boring starter cars.
>>
It's not going to be much of an upgrade over an E36, why not go for the W124?
They are still relatively easy to find and maintain in Europe but I suppose Canada is different.
>>
File: ranta.jpg (95KB, 640x416px) Image search: [Google]
ranta.jpg
95KB, 640x416px
If the transmission is holding up still it will put the rear wheels alight when slamming it from first to 2nd at WOT. It is the weakest tranny of the automatic ones tho, so it might slip (just add pressure from the tee lol)

2.6L automatic W201 was my first car and I've been hooked to older Mercedes cars since. I currently drive a W124 and W204.

Comfy, well, not as comfy as a W124 since it is shorter wheelbase and smaller, but sure that inline 6 makes it sound feel and behave like a bigger car.

They are prone to head gasket and valve stem leak/failure along with the hot/cold/idle running issues associated with the KE-jet and it's sensors 'n stuff. I had 350k km's on mine, put 25k more on it with zero issues.
>>
>>17759351
I learned to drive in one of those ('92). They're excellent cars and given that you're used to the maintenance on an old German car it's not like you're gonna freak out at the Merc tax on parts
>>
>>17759781
I haven't seen any W124s yet - some W126s and a W202, but no 124s.

>>17759830
Well, the guy says it still shifts good, only problem seems to be a cracked windshield and some scratches in the paint.

I think I will end up buying this car, assuming my attempt to negotiate a guy down for an '86 300ZX fails.
>>
>>17759351
I really dont think a Mercedes is a good idea if you are on a budget.
Parts are 10x more expensive than most brands.

If you are any good with cars you could do what I do, buy something that has just a few things wrong, fix it up.

Last year I got an MG migit for 1800 because it had a dirty exterior and it turned off when it turned left.
I fixed it and now have my dream convertable.
>>
>>17760354
That is generally whatt I would do, but I need a vehicle soon so that I can function in society. Living in a rural area is very unforgiving unless you can drive.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.