[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would /o/ do in this situation? >bought a 1985 Jeep

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: 1452564271526.png (33KB, 281x355px) Image search: [Google]
1452564271526.png
33KB, 281x355px
What would /o/ do in this situation?

>bought a 1985 Jeep Cherokee with 35,000 original miles
>super clean condition, never winter driven
>have been looking for one of these in this condition for well over a year
>seller had inherited the vehicle and had the title
>bought it for $5000 after bartering down from $6500 and have owned it a month

>seller's brother contacts me and says that his brother wasn't suppose to have the jeep, that it was his and demands that I sell it back to his family
>claims it has sentimental value and it's "the last thing he has of his father"
>say I don't want to sell it back at any price but would reluctantly be willing if he were to overpay for it at $8000
>he goes off swearing at me for being a crook and I hang up
>has called me several times since but I haven't answered
>retired neighbors say some guy was looking for me at my home and looking in my jeep during the day today, trying the door handles while I was at work

What do I do?
>>
Call the cops and report his suspicious activity
>>
>that his brother wasn't suppose to have the jeep, that it was his
Then surely he can produce proof of ownership, either through a will or inheritance agreement or previous sales contract or something. In the modern world you don't simply own something like this with zero paper to support it.
>>
>>17759217

He has no proof of ownership. Just apparently a verbal communication between him and his father.

He said he would've caught it if I didn't buy the Jeep 2 hours after it was posted on craigslist, calling me a vulture.
>>
>>17759200
>>17759217

Both of these.

Report it to the cops so if he tries some dumb(er) shit you're covered. If he's fucking trying the door handles he's obviously a dumb cunt, what is he gonna do, steal it? The cops would just immediately find him because you have his contact info and his brother's contact info.

Oh, and if you didn't get the title you are a dumb shit.
Titles are a BEARER INSTRUMENT, as in, whoever holds the title is legally assumed to be the rightful owner so you are under no obligation to do shit regarding their family beef.
>>
>>17759184
you have the title, you legally purchased the vehicle so it's yours

it sucks for the dude, and it's going to be a problem between him and his brother for a while, but it's yours. call the cops and tell them he is harassing you (he is).
>>
>>17759184

As long as you have the pink slip OP you have all legal grounds to call the cops on the guy for attempting to break into your jeep.

If I were you: file a police report and buy a camera where it is parked.
>>
>>17759258

Yeah, I have the title. My father worked as an auto dealer for 30 years and looked over everything with me.
>>
>>17759283
Why can't you just sell the car back to the guy then? It's just a fucking Jeep
>>
>>17759292
Why would he it his?
>>
>>17759292
You should try reading sometime
>>
>>17759184
>buy a gun
>be at home around the time he comes
>leave door unlocked
blast him the second he walks in
>>
>>17759292

I honestly would like to just to heal over the situation, but I really love the vehicle. It's near impossible to find a 80s XJ with low km, nice body / interior and a manual transmission.
>>
>>17759184
If he wasn't being such a dick I'd say sell it back but he sounds like a fucking unreasonable asshole. I'd buy a weapon and maybe a dash cam and try negotiating him to at least pay you 6 grand. It isn't fair to you that he won't consider what you paid for it.
>>
You have no legal obligation whatsoever assuming the title transferred correctly which I'll assume it did since your dad checked it. I'm sure your dad has similar stories where someone traded a car into the dealership and someone else erroneously thought they had some claim to it. I suppose a dealership is more intimidating than some kid but you have every legal protection they would have, which your dad can probably advise you much more accurately since he probably worked in the same state (title law minutia can vary a lot from state to state).

My advice would be to get him on video fucking with the car and harassing you then inform him firmly that if he continues to do so you'll have him arrested.
>>
>>17759184
What are original miles as opposed to unoriginal miles?
>>
>>17761430
after an engine (and maybe trans) rebuild / donation, people selling the car online list it with the new miles and usually say in the description the old miles on the frame / body as 'original'
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.