[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>high flow air filter Is this a meme? Should I buy it for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: 61f61rDbY8L._SL1000_.jpg (92KB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
61f61rDbY8L._SL1000_.jpg
92KB, 750x1000px
>high flow air filter
Is this a meme? Should I buy it for my econobox? I live in the desert and have to replace my filter every 10,000 miles so the fact that you can just wash it out instead of buying a new one is nice, but i'm wondering if it actually makes any performance difference at all.
>>
>>17756551
>but i'm wondering if it actually makes any performance difference at all.

on a shit box probably not
>>
>>17756551
The only thing you will gain is dirt in your engine
>>
I noticed about a 3mpg increase when I changed to a better, reusable air filter, and a little more responsiveness from the car, but not sure about horsepower. Then again I drive a newer car and used a factory upgraded air filter so I don't know about the one in your photo
>>
>>17756560
explain faggot
>>
>>17756580
Less restrictive filter = more contaminates getting through
>>
For a stock intake, the only way to gain more air flow is to have a filter that filters less. That is what the K&N drop in does. The cone style has more surface area to take more air, so those might filter more or the same as paper but it depends. So no I wouldn't recommend for desert driving.
>>
>>17756551
If your original filter is verry restrictive, it might make a difference.
But if your car does have likw 99 kPa intake pressure at WOT, you can´t gain anything with a better filter.

The only thing that could make a difference at high speeds could be a ram air intake since it can actualy increase intake pressure slightly over 100 kPa and give you a slightly cooler and therefore more dense charge.
Or you can install individual throttle bodies with velocity stacks to increase volumetric efficiency over 100% at a certain rpm due to Helmholz resonance.

>>17756563
>3mpg due to new filter
That is only true for carbed engines, for EFI it doesn´t change MPG since EFI corrects the air/fuel ratio, so a clogged air filter is like a slightly more closed throttle for EFI.
>>
If your complaining about changing your filter every 10K you'll hate having to clean and re-oil the K&N at the same, if not less millage.
>>
>>17757071
>changing your filter every 10K
Why should you do that?
I didn´t change/clean my filter since I bought my car and I still get 100 kPa at full throttle.
>>
>>17757076

Did you even read the OP's post you fucking retard?

>"I live in the desert"
>>
>>17756551
>+1 hp
It's trash.
>>
>>17757071
This. I bought a car with one and it was pretty a pretty messy project.
>Use the cleaner and wash the filter
>Wait for the filter to be totally dry
>Spray the oil shit on the filter
>Re install the filter and get oil all over your hands trying to fit it back in
So not only do they let more dirt in, it's a good 1+ hour project and the k&n cleaning kit was the same cost as 2 or 3 standard replacement filters.

>If the previous owner hadn't removed the factory air box I would have just bought a regular filter after that.
>>
Definitely not for desert driving
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.