[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey guys. What is the best way to start getting some experience

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Hey guys.
What is the best way to start getting some experience as a mechanic?
I have no previous experience on working with cars.
I have a somewhat normal knowledge of cars.
I haven't been interested in cars when I chose what school should I go to, and I have no time to go study now.
Can you give me any advice?
Pic not related, its me.
>>
>>17752259
bump
>>
>>17752259
Just work on your own car. Do your brakes, your oil, gaskets, etc. Go to a junkyard and pull parts off and put them back on
>>
Buy a turd.
>>
>>17752259
see if a college/community college near you offers any classes
>>
Find a shop owned by an italian, work for free a bit and he might give you a job, youll get yelled at a lot but thats just how they speak. Worked for me
>>
>>17752259
depends on how best you learn

if you're a visual learner get a car with an old engine, preferably a carbed v6 or v8 as they're dirt simple as far as engines go, no fuel injection unless you're already a computer whiz.

But otherwise, community college classes
>>
>>17752908
I think fuel injection tuning is defintely worth learning as early as you can.
Just spend a weekend literally studying everything about fuel injection and you will at least have an idea of how to get it into a safe running condition. Just replacing parts doesn't need you to know much at all though.
>>
>>17752929
FJ is for sure a step above carburetors though, best to get a general understanding of one first and then the other. Though I see your point in learning it early as it's the engine config currently dominating the automobile industry, it just presents a higher learnign curve that would be dampened by some applicable knowledge in carbed engines.
>>
>>17752259
It takes experience for the most part. You'll find that most problems arent straight forward when it comes to fixing them.

1 bolt turns into a broken bolt head or worn shoulders, stripped threads and so on. Diagnosing cars is usually easy for somebody who has been doing it for years, but some things are just still a pain in the ass

And being bent over an engine bay hurts like hell when you finally stand back up
>>
>>17752946
I think learning how to clean parts properly should be higher on your list since 90% of your time will be spent doing that and is 10x more likely to get you employed than being able to recite a text book, newbies only get hired cos the mechanic wants a cleaning bitch
>>
My dad gave me this advice when i asked how to get good at working on cars
" be poor with a shitbox car"
You'll figure it out from there
>>
>>17752960
ouch, if that's the case I'll concede the point to you
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.