[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

hey /o/ Im getting a manual transmission car soon how bad is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: macaroon.png (694KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
macaroon.png
694KB, 600x600px
hey /o/
Im getting a manual transmission car soon
how bad is it if i accidentally shift from 1st gear to 4th/6th/ reverse while driving?
>>
You almost can't.
Don't even worry about it.
>>
>>17749269
1st to 4th/6th
Probably nothing
might stall but that's it

In most cars it's not even possible to shift from a drive gear to reverse while the car is moving. But you probably won't anyway
>>
>>17749269
Upshifting won't do anything bad in terms of damage. Downshifting from 4th to 1st might grenade the engine if you're going fast enough, but you have to have some serious mong power or a pretty worn gearbox to get it into 1st at anything over 20-30mph
>>
>>17749269
When I first started driving manual I only went into the wrong gear one time. I went from 3rd to 2nd when I meant to go into 4th. I was trying to practice shifting quickly and fucked it up. Luckily I was only at 4k rpm and my redline is 7600 so it only revved up to like 6k and the engine was fine, but I certainly never did that again.

Just don't try to quickly shift at redline until you're comfortable driving. Practice shifting fast at only like 3k rpm and you'll be fine.

Also, on most cars 1st and reverse aren't synchronized so you can't shift into them while moving unless you double clutch and upshifting higher than expected won't hurt anything.
>>
>>17749462
1:1 story, cheers
>>
File: 1497290165074.jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1497290165074.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
I drop that b from 6th to 3rd all the time B)))
>>
i've gone from 2nd to 5th once by accident while drag racing

engine just bogged down and i quickly shifted correctly

dont worry about it
>>
>>17749378
>In most cars it's not even possible to shift from a drive gear to reverse while the car is moving.

Yeah, I taught one of my friends how to drive stick in my car. He was jamming it back while in fifth complaining that he couldn't get it into 6th. No damage or grinding or anything, but I about bit his fucking head off when I realized what he was doing.
>>
Mine started grinding hard when I accidentally tried shifting from 3rd into reverse. Otherwise skipping gears isn't a big deal in any way.
>>
File: 20170719_164714.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170719_164714.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>17749269
You will just bog the motor just shift out of it fast. If you can manage to get that bitch into R from like 4th. Well your a wizard
>>
Forward gear to backward gear: Close to impossible
Low gear to high gear: Car will either struggle to gain any more speed, or simply stall
High to low gear at fast speed: Very difficult, and you should stop forcing it into gear if the gearbox doesn't let you do it easily. Should you somehow succeed at doing it, it will most likely kill your engine/gearbox.
>>
File: 41198498118.jpg (65KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
41198498118.jpg
65KB, 900x900px
>>17749886
wow dude how are you able to shift while being upside down all the time?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.