[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

so I bought a beater car and it's starting to have problems.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

so I bought a beater car and it's starting to have problems.
>stutters sometimes when I'm driving and it slows way down to like 20mph
not really sure what it is might be the fuel pump but idk /o/
>smokes and engine is running hot
I'm gonna change the antifreeze today and hopefully that helps
>>
>>17738789
well wtf is it
>>
>>17738791
01 nissan altima
>>
>>17738789
change spark plugs, wires, and distributer cap
check for coolant leaks from hoses or radiator
probably a blown headgasget
>>
>>17738789
sell it and buy a new beater
>>
Try parking it at a few different angles to see which side its leaking from, if it is. I had a car that would only leak coolant onto the ground if parked uphill in my driveway.
>>
>>17739465
don't have money for that now. I just got it 100% road legal.
>>
>>17738789
>not buying a clean stock civic for 2500-3k
you dun goofed.
>>
Those Altima 2.5L engines are shit, sorry anon it's probably been maintained poorly
>>
>>17739722
this car was only $500 im only working part time at night. so I don't have a ton of cash.
>>
>>17738789
>knocks and smokes
check the oil, if it's milky it's done
if not change it
>inb4 just did this
then get some marvel mystery oil in there if u have the space
if not wait until it consumes some oil, then add
follow the advice of>>17738808
get all your parts from rockauto since poorfag
>>
>>17739736
$500 cars are tossed owner to owner like a hot potato to make the $500 back instead of scrapping it for $50-200.

You need to spend more to get something that works. Buy a bus pass.
>>
>>17739778
>bus pass
HAHAHAHAH *BREATHES IN* BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA no.
I'm not a city living faggot
>>
>>17739786
Then buy a fucking scooter
>>
>>17739795
id rather get a new dirt bike. I just need to get the car running fine for a few months so I can work more and get more money.
>>
I bought plenty of 1k cars and they always have one major annoying issue that is usualy $200 to fix.

But I also skipped over plenty of 2k cars that everything is about to fall off. Anyway OP what car is it? Might be comon issue.
>>
>>17738789
If it's a head gasket your life sucks. You sound broke. Let he me help you. If you can tolerate the jesus, his stuff is incredible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCo0SLeMEfk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK2R2LdkLKs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5nGqtq3YnQ

If it's a coolant leak and not the head gasket, count your lucky stars. Go rent a coolant pressure tester from your local auto parts store and test the system. Blow it up. Wait to hear/see the leak.

Piece of cake to work on that system. First one I worked (and had problems on) goodluck, and godspeed anon.
>>
>>17739842
I'm not op but that dude is good and helpful tips but his Jesus stuff gets annoying good thing he saves it for the end now and other anons will get triggered by this dude I can feel it
>>
>>17738808
Arr, man the parts cannon, ye scurvy dogs.
>>
Well start with the basics. Is the CEL on? Then scan it for codes, Google the codes and man the parts cannon at them.

What kind of smoke? If it's bluish smoke, put oil additives in there and pray it "fixes" the engine, if it's blackish smoke, something's wrong with the air/fuel mix causing it to run rich.

Might want to put that stop leak shit in when changing the coolant too. Wouldn't do it to a car you care about, but it's pretty obvious this is a car past caring.
>>
>>17739956
it was white smoke coming from the corner where the coolant is.
>>
>>17740268
Oh man, that sounds like a fucked head gasket. Try putting that stop leak/gasket clog shit. Pray it works for a while. If it works.
>>
>>17740284
I thought the smoke would be coming from the motor if the head gasket was going?
>>
>>17740304
Blown headgasket pressurizes your whole cooling system because the engine is leaking pressure into your coolant path. Your shit is fucked senpai
>>
>>17740340
does the stop leak fix or whatever it's called work?
>>
>>17740406
If you aren't going to rip apart the engine for hours to fix it and it's going to the junkyard anyways you can give it a shot, might buy you some time
>>
>>17740406
Blue devil.
Never used it or know anyone who used it.
good luck
>>
>>17738789
If you buy a beater then you better be prepared for the shitstorm
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.