[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

can you complete the UK's driving theory test, /o/? ht

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 109
Thread images: 22

File: car_photo_483361.jpg (19KB, 420x280px) Image search: [Google]
car_photo_483361.jpg
19KB, 420x280px
can you complete the UK's driving theory test, /o/?

http://www.safedrivingforlife.info/take-official-free-practice-driving-theory-test/car-practice-theory-tests/car-practice-test-one
>>
>>17738346
PASS, but I had forgotten the hand signals.
>>
I got 39, but some of those questions were impeded by a term barrier.
You can do try doing our countries one, its a bit clunky though, they have only translated
A category but theory is basically the same. You get 2 or 3 test questions before the real thing starts
http://csnt.csdd.lv
>>
46/50
>>
>>17738346
Can, and have.
>>
File: JEREMY CLARKSON .. PASS.png (8KB, 415x203px) Image search: [Google]
JEREMY CLARKSON .. PASS.png
8KB, 415x203px
I mainly screwed up trailer towing speed limits because those are country specific, train crossing lights because those are country specific, and all those retarded fucking hand signals. How the fuck is it legal to use hand signals instead of indicators in a first world country in the year 2017?
>>
File: received_1863877943627744.png (185KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
received_1863877943627744.png
185KB, 1080x1920px
You're kidding me right? Poms are so cucked that they aren't allowed to change their own tyres and instead have to call emergency services?
Fuck me no wonder they're getting overrun by immigrants
>>
>>17738346

50 questions? What? Was this not different about 10 years ago?

I'm sure when I took mine there was about 100?
>>
>>17738505
Where are you from and what's your country's traffic death rate?

Yeah.
>>
>>17738505

I think thats because most motorway expansions over the last few years have made hard shoulders either too narrow to change a wheel, or have done away with the hard shoulder entirely.

Meaning a whole road closure is needed if someone breaks down.

It's getting people into the idea of just getting out of the car and getting the motorway maintenance people involved asap.
>>
File: Unfall-A3-Polizeiwagen.jpg (184KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
Unfall-A3-Polizeiwagen.jpg
184KB, 1200x675px
>>17738505
>Why yes, of course the side of a highway is a safe spot for vehicle repairs.
>>
>>17738512
Ive done it several times and I only died once. It takes less than ten minutes to change a spare
>>
File: 1286840373870.png (68KB, 707x228px) Image search: [Google]
1286840373870.png
68KB, 707x228px
>>17738523
>this

im american and with the idiots on the interstate id rather fucking walk than try and change a tire on the shoulder
>>
>>17738505
It's the exact type of nanny state domineering I would expect from island apes raised by two generations of war widows
>>
>>17738483
They are still legal because:
a, indicators can fail
b, old cars still exist.
>>
>>17738547
Well, around here all cars, regardless of age, whether they had winky indicators or none at all, had to get indicator lights installed in the '50s. Not three weeks ago. In the '50s.

It's actually the only case that's known to me from my country of technical requirements applying retroactively and not only to new registrations.
>>
>>17738566
in MURRICA you can use hand signals

had to do that in my old 70s truck because the turn signals had failed.

did it in front of cops and they gave no fucks
>>
36/50. Some of the terms I do not understand in English and I do not know your speed limits.
>>
46/50, however this misses out the second half of the theory test that involves clicking on shittily made videos to identify hazards... at least the theory test i took had that :x
>>
>A heavy load on your roof rack will
>Reduce stability
>Reduce the stopping distance

would /o/ not agree that both are true? yet only one is the correct answer? tests r gay m8
>>
>>17738611
>Reduce

ok, m8
>>
>>17738611
>reduce, not increase

lmao i'm dumb, good thing i'm not in the uk or i'd be failed i guess
>>
Can /o/ solve the Bulgarian driving theory test?

https://avtoizpit.com/listovki#/test-set/63956475
>>
>>17738611
Increasing the weight of a vehicle will reduce stopping distances? That's why heavy cars have such fantastic handling right?
>>
>>17738540
You're allowed to change tyres on the roadside, just not on the side of the motorway. The hard shoulder isn't for prolonged stops, if you break down you get yourself off the side of the motorway ASAP. Also, if the puncture is on the left of the car you'd have to stand in the road to change it.
>>
>>17738637
don't you mean the right of the car?
>>
>>17738645
The driver's side, you islander autist.
>>
>>17738645
Yes, I'm a fucking spastic. Sorry
>>
>>17738647
>if the puncture is on the left of the car you'd have to stand in the road to change it

>we drive on the left in the UK
>the left of the car is nearside (kerb side)
>changing a puncture on the left means you're not in the road

????
>>
>>17738661
>we drive on the left in the UK
Good thing everyone on /o/ is from the UK then, eh?
>>
43/50 GET FUCKED
>>
File: _DSC0461 copy.jpg (624KB, 1325x2000px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0461 copy.jpg
624KB, 1325x2000px
>>17738346
>FAIL
>You've answered 42 out of 50 questions correctly

I drove in the UK for two weeks straight with only minor issues.

You guys have a lot of extraneous and asinine rules and standards. Like speed limit signs that are ridiculously small (pic related), at the same time you'll have 5 massive signs with near useless and practically indecipherable bullshit all over them. You'll go from a section of road that is the national speed limit, down to 30mph then back up to the national speed limit with basically no indication.

Squiggly lines all over the road saying "oi m8 you're coming up to a stoplight or eh this line means you can park on it etc.". Some of it's nice but much of leads to information overload. It's straight up excessive.

Don't even get me started on the fucking speed cameras.

You people are exceptional drivers though, gotta give you that. I wish our countries (UK/US) had a driver exchange program.
>>
>>17738809
>Like speed limit signs that are ridiculously small
That's only a repeater sign, the ones indicating a change in limit are much larger.
>>
>>17738809
>Some of it's nice but much of leads to information overload.
At least they're not writing half a novel to spell out a simple warning. The sheer amount of words plastered on American traffic signs is absolutely staggering.
>>
File: chloe.gif (1MB, 292x323px) Image search: [Google]
chloe.gif
1MB, 292x323px
>>17738831
>4 words
>staggering
Yeah they just tell us in plain english what to look out for instead of making us memorize dozens of cryptic signs for shit we encounter once or twice a month.
>>
File: magik.png (35KB, 127x159px) Image search: [Google]
magik.png
35KB, 127x159px
>>17738749
i got that too
>>
File: steinschlag.gif (22KB, 800x703px) Image search: [Google]
steinschlag.gif
22KB, 800x703px
>>17738866
Oh yeah, writing DANGER OF FALLING ROCKS is far easier than putting a literal depiction of rocks falling from a cliff on a road next to a cliff. Nobody could've ever figured out what this means.
>>
File: aliensbehindthescenes.png (1MB, 1453x723px) Image search: [Google]
aliensbehindthescenes.png
1MB, 1453x723px
>>17738890
There's no confusion then m8, hence the expression "spell it out".

Exactly how long does it take you to read four words?
>>
>>17738346
43/50
Why do they ask about hand signals in the UK didn't even know about those from my own country's test.
Probably could've done better if I hadn't had my friday afternoon drinks and knew how miles worked.
>>
>>17738890
As an american living in the uk I definitely prefer the us signs. the print doesnt matter, as the signs are much bigger and more noticeable. US roads are much wider and better kept, and about 5 feet on either side is grass, unlike here where there is kerbs first. While B roads are a lot of fun, there often isnt nearly enough signage and the paving is abysmal. In the US every road has signs and roads are consistent across counties (if not states), unlike here where there is a lot of variance between road qualities. Also, us roads are based on the grid system, while the roads here have no coherence. If you miss a turn you have to wait for the next roundabout which can take several minutes unlike the us, where you just turn onto the next street.

TL;DR US roads are better, I miss home.
>>
>>17738937
>us roads are based on the grid system,
Depends, newer areas are based on grids like the west and mid-west. Much of the east coast is like the UK.
>>
>>17738698
look at the comment train i was replying to you fucking moron
>>
>>17738346
42 lost 4 point because of the arms signal question
i know the UK wasn't really rich but not having turn signal c'mon

the speed limits when you have a trailer fucked me too

and what do level crossing do when a train approach in the UK ? because they flash RED first here but that's not the case in the UK apparently
>>
>>17738809
>signs that are ridiculously small

i'm pretty sure that means your eyes are fucked and you shouldn't be driving in the first place
>>
File: confusing-street-signs.jpg (2MB, 2668x3972px) Image search: [Google]
confusing-street-signs.jpg
2MB, 2668x3972px
>>17738917
Humans more easily recognize shapes than words. First of all all written signs look the same from afar. Also as soon as two written signs are posted below each other and you're going moderate speed you're going to miss one of them.
>>
>>17738937
>US roads are much wider and better kept, and about 5 feet on either side is grass
Glad to hear you have so much space to waste and like to drive endlessly because everything is spread out like diarrhea. Now learn to drive and learn to pay attention.

>boohoo I missed my turn

Whiny cunt.
>>
>>17738987
also people with non perfect vision will have less trouble with this sign
the threshold for the driving license here is 5/10 at both eye
>>
File: thisbullshitiseverywhere.jpg (34KB, 295x208px) Image search: [Google]
thisbullshitiseverywhere.jpg
34KB, 295x208px
>>17738971
Did you not see pic related? Yes your speed limit signs are small, really they should be the largest and most eye catching sign behind stop signs. All the Americans I was with in the UK agreed that the signs were too small. Even locals agreed that the speed limit changes can be confusing.

>>17738987
Humans can also read a couple words in a split second.

Y'all are WAY worse than us about stacking signs. Remember what I said about information overload?
>>
>>17739024
as >>17738819 pointed out, that's a repeater sign. changes in limit are always on much bigger signs, but if that sign is too small for you, you have vision issues, those locals are probably the same fucking morons that ignore signs and do 40 everywhere.
>>
>>17738995
actually, with the straight roads journeys of the same distance take about half the time. Shit around here isnt near as efficient.

>whiny cunt
its actually a valid issue. It shouldnt double your travel time because you make one error.

>>17738950
Fair enough. i lived in DC and that wasnt anything like the western US in terms of driving.
>>
>>17739033
Even most of those are too small as well, and really all the speed limit signs should be eye catching. There's no excuse for that tiny sign.

How about when it changes back to the national speed limit? You guys basically don't have speed limit signs if the road is the national speed limit. That's the most asinine thing dude, lack of signage is your signage.

You'll have sign after sign warning you of speed cameras but no fucking speed limit sign.
>>
>>17739042
>too small
>bright reflective signs aren't eye-catching
>can't see the sign that says national speed limit for every road that's a national speed limit

see your optometrist you blind mong

see your optometrist asap.
>>
>>17739042
>>
>>17739042
https://www.specsavers.co.uk/offers/2-for-1

hth, stay safe out there
>>
File: rawImage.jpg (322KB, 1367x2048px) Image search: [Google]
rawImage.jpg
322KB, 1367x2048px
>>17739041
>actually, with the straight roads journeys of the same distance take about half the time.
Not if they're fucking clogged because absolutely everyone needs to drive. Also what the fuck do you propose, tearing down entire cities and erecting oversized American garden sheds on a grid?
>>
>>17739042
>How about when it changes back to the national speed limit?
How about you learn the national speed limit, you lazy retard? Do you expect everything to be served to you on a silver platter?
>>
>>17738346
37, although good number of the the nomenclature like the types of crossings were new to me and I read the questions for speed limits as if they were in km/h just out of habit, not to mention most of the lights regulations are vastly different where I live.
Also fucking hand signals, am I mister Bean?
>>
>>17738937

The thing with the US signs (or rather, what the US doesn't have that Europe does) is that you don't need to deal with non-english speakers often. With so many countries so close together in Europe, you just can't expect that a foreigner driving in your roads can read and understand on the spot what the signs say. You absolutely need some system of universal road signs in this case.
>>
>>17739054
>US - all speed limit signs are large, easily legible, written in plain english and numerous

>UK - you get one large sign m8 and then tiny little fuckers because we already told you once, oh also if it's 60mph we will just put up a single slash sign if you missed it that's your fault m8. Also that single slash could mean 70mph depending on the road.

Yeah man, you guys got it figured out.
>>
>41/50
FUCK so close to passing

the turning right/turning left fucked me up big time
>>
>pelicans
>zebras
>toucans

Why do yall have zoo animals impeding traffic?
>>
>>17738346
Yes, because I did so on wednesday. Another step closer to a full bike license.
>>
>>17739086
thats a good point actually I didnt think of that
>>17739069
If you are even implying places like london and birmingham dont have motorway traffic then you are delusional. Also, with how narrow most rural roads are here cycling is less viable for safety reasons. Also, tearing up some old buildings wouldnt be to bad. you guys absolutely masturbate over old shit and the world wars here. Boomers are worse here than the us and your government does fuck all. you cant even agree on hs2 or brexit for christ sakes
>>
>>17738566
in the UK all cars built after 1/1/1936 must have direction indicators but it has never been a requirement to retro fit them onto existing vehicles.
>>
>>17738937
>about 5 feet on either side is grass, unlike here where there is kerbs first.

What's the problem with not having two yards of grass and just having a kerb? It's beyond the carriageway so you shouldn't be there anyway.
>>
File: kerb.png (17KB, 882x298px) Image search: [Google]
kerb.png
17KB, 882x298px
>>17738346
What a stupid question, I obviously fasten the e brake and leave it in first gear
>>
>>17738937
>you have to wait for the next roundabout which can take several minutes
I almost can't believe you passed your UK driving test
If you hesitate at a roundabout for too long, you're failed
>>
>>17739182
Americans don't need to pass UK driving tests to drive in the UK.
>>
File: lisbon post 1755.jpg (134KB, 800x499px) Image search: [Google]
lisbon post 1755.jpg
134KB, 800x499px
>>17739126
>>17738937

Also, we have to take into account the grid system is a very recent one, just like the US is a young country that could adopt it fully. Most european roads on the other hand are based on the ones that are centuries or even millennia old.
For instance, we had a major earthquake in the mid 1700's that brought down most buildings in our capital. You can clearly tell the difference from the ones that kept standing, and how the destroyed part of the city was rebuilt.
>>
>>17739164
im not talking about carraigeways im talking about our equivalent to b-roads. we don't have hedgerows, allowing for bigger signs. its good to not have the kerbs if someone breaks down, but it isn't a massive issue
>>17739182
I meant driving too the next roundabout not waiting at the actual roundabout itself.
>>
>>17738966
The test just shows how dated the laws and tests surrounding driving in the UK are.
The only people that need to know hand signals are people who don't have cars with indicators which is only people with REALLY old cars. I suppose it's useful to know if your bulb blows, but still.

Trailer one is fine

iirc, the yellow light comes on for one or tow seconds and the siren sounds at the same time, yellow light goes out when the red lights start to flash and the barriers come down. When the barriers are down, the siren stops but the red lights continue to flash.

It's not going to be until the end of this year when provisional licence holders are allowed on the motorway, when in practically every other every other european country, learner drivers are allowed on the motorway with some limitations.
>>
>>17739185
only for like 90 days
if he's living here, he needs to take a test
>>
>>17739198
yes of course. I understand this, but im talking about more rural roads. Some US cities have some europe like roads, but not many.
>>
>>17738923
see

>>17739204
>>
>>17739185
Yes they do; american licenses are not valid in the UK, and you may get slapped with an 'automatics only' restriction.
>>
>>17739226
I had to take a 1 day course for americans at one of the US ran RAF bases
>>
File: _DSC0331.jpg (2MB, 2000x1325px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0331.jpg
2MB, 2000x1325px
>>17739216
Oh ok, that makes sense.

>>17739226
Nah you don't, at least not for 90 days like other UKanon claims.

t. Muricunt that rented a car there couple months back
>>
>>17739240
not sure how long it actually is, but there is no way you could live here and drive on a US licence
>>
File: _DSC0332 copy.jpg (435KB, 2000x1325px) Image search: [Google]
_DSC0332 copy.jpg
435KB, 2000x1325px
>>17739226
>>17739240
Oh and it was a standard too.
>>
>>17739204
hum i see
weird usually flashing amber light means go when there is no green one
and how long learner permit last ? here it's 3 years and you just have to driver 10kph lower than the speed limits on every road with a speed limit higher than 50
>>
>>17739249
corsa or astra?
>>
>>17739261
Corsa, I grew to really love those eurocuckboxes.
>>
>>17739264
saturn sold the old gen astra. you can pick one up for ~3k if you have the itch.
>>
>>17739258
I think it's 10 years or something like that. Since the UK doesn't have a national ID system, learner licences and drivers licences have essentially become the de facto national ID card because A) they're far cheaper than passports, and B) it's easy to apply for one.

The only restrictions on a learner permit are you can't drive on motorways, and you have to have someone who's 21 or over and held a licence for 3 years as a passenger.

The weird thing is that there are roads built like motorways, signed like motorways, have the speed limits of motorways but aren't technically motorways so you can drive on some roads like they're motorways legally on a learners permit.

Once you pass, the only (official) restriction on your full licence are that if you get 6 points within the first two years of having your licence, it gets revoked. So if you're like me and travel at a very high speed, your licence gets taken away and you have to redo your theory test and driving test.
Of course, if you're 17 and you've just passed your test, you're going to need a lot of money to insure a car.

Here is a video of a UK level crossing.
https://youtu.be/gBk5Q83GZdM?t=32
>>
>>17739277
opel are good cars but they really lack something imo
i have a opel astra G and it's kinda soulless
>>
>>17739293
>but they really lack something imo
Balls, other than that they're pretty fun. Though, you can practically pivot the car in place if you crank the wheel and dump the clutch from a stop.
>>
>>17739293
>>17739300
yeah, imo the fords and volkswagons are more fun
>>
>>17739292
wew 10 years that's a lot
you guys have it pretty hard i heard insurance was pretty high too compared to mainland europe
the amber light are literally here for no reason kek
>>
File: ya.png (104KB, 909x477px) Image search: [Google]
ya.png
104KB, 909x477px
Is this UK specific or am I just retarded?
>>
>>17739318
see
>>17739292
>>
>>17739318
UK specific, here in the US we have flashing reds.
>>
>>17739318
it's definitely UK specific
here in France it's just one red light flashing
>>
>>17739316
I got pretty lucky with insurance but I know people who have had insane quotes
I have one mate who was looking at a £500 Nissan Micra. He lived in an area that had quite a bit of crime but it wasn't crazy amounts. His mum had 6 points on her licence and he was getting quotes for almost £4000. If he switched the address the car was registered to my address, it would drop down to £1500
>>
File: verhalten-bahnuebergang-300x200.jpg (22KB, 300x200px) Image search: [Google]
verhalten-bahnuebergang-300x200.jpg
22KB, 300x200px
>>17739318
It's country specific. To give an example the lights on German rail crossings actually work just like a traffic light, except without green to save power because it would be green most of the time. It simply turns yellow and then steady red before the barriers lower.
>>
>>17739199
A B-road is a carriageway.
>>
>>17739341
sorry i dont really know the terminology
>>
>>17739330
lmao wtf i paid 800 euros the first year for low miles twingo ( i had full malus the cost decrease of around 25% each years until you are not a learners anymore )
that shit is insane 4000£ that's almost half the price of a brand new twingo/108 or whatever
>>
>>17739362
>4000£ that's almost half the price of a brand new twingo/108 or whatever
You're not paying for the risk of damaging your own car, you're paying for the risk of damaging other cars with your car.
>>
>>17739366
well yeah i know how insurance works
i pay 800 buck for just that and i'm insured for damages done to other (and myself if i'm responsible for medical expense only though )
>>
>>17739316
£320 a year for a BRZ with unlimited engine mods excluding nitrous, seems reasonable to me.
>>
>>17738532
>im american and with the idiots on the interstate id rather fucking walk than try and change a tire on the shoulder
That's because in the USA some cars have passengers that open their window and thoss their fast food trash or drink at you. Remember that the cup of ice and remaining drink is coming at you at 60 MPH since it was tossed from the moving car. So it slams into you.
>>
>>17738483
>is it legal to use hand signals instead of indicators in a first world country in the year 2017?
It's not about you using them. It's about you recognizing the signals in case other people use them. If you insist that your complaint become reality, then as soon as any car had a disabled turn signal or brake light, it cannot be driven but must go to the shoulder and await a tow truck. Even if it is in your street. You cannot even drive it 30 feet off the street and into your garage because first of all, you do not allow hand signals to be used and the vehicle cannot be used without signals.

As ridiculous as the above is, that's why hand signals are allowed. They allow flexibility into the system so that ridiculous situations and regulations don't occur for vehicles that have a disabled signal light.
>>
File: Dr.Strange.jpg (80KB, 1920x808px) Image search: [Google]
Dr.Strange.jpg
80KB, 1920x808px
>>17738809
>You people are exceptional drivers though, gotta give you that.
They have tough tests. America does not. And tough penalties for repeat violations. America does not. You have to do quite a bit to have a license temporarily suspended for 30 days or 60 days in my USA state. Driver licenses have been issued in USA states due to anti-discrimination lawsuits. The anti-discrimination lawsuits have more weight than public safety.

>Like speed limit signs that are ridiculously small
You need your eyes checked. Or you have been lulled into being a complacent driver by the constant stream of giant usa signs and "sign pollution".

>>17738831
Too many lawsuits by people who cannot remember symbols.

- =o= --- =o= - -=o= - - -

A lot of USA high schools treat a 60% score as the minimum passing grade. Thus not knowing 40% of the required knowledge is passing. That means out of the ten commandments, you can ignore any four of them and still get into Heaven with a PASS score.
>>
>>17739180
That's a given, using the handbrake is compulsory for any parking in the UK. (You'd want to place it in reverse though)

Turning your wheels to the kerb is an extra precaution
>>
>>17739292
>Of course, if you're 17 and you've just passed your test, you're going to need a lot of money to insure a car.
In the usa, lots of people drive without insurance. They just hit and run and almost always get away with it.
>>
>>17739330
If the insurance company was allowed to discriminate based on race, his rates would probably drop. When discrimination is not allowed, the total worst stats get factored into his rate.
>>
>>17740378
see
>>17739089

My vision's 20/20 corrected.
>>
>>17739089
>also if it's 60mph we will just put up a single slash sign if you missed it that's your fault m8. Also that single slash could mean 70mph depending on the road.

... and as a driver you're expected to understand what sort of road you're driving on and therefore know whether it's 60 or 70, and if understanding the sign is such an issue how the fuck are you driving in the first place?

do you need your hand held when you breathe in and out, too?
>>
>>17740681
not an argument
Thread posts: 109
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.