[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know a lot about cars and some technical shits about spirited

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 1496095515727.jpg (393KB, 1244x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1496095515727.jpg
393KB, 1244x1280px
I know a lot about cars and some technical shits about spirited driving. That being said i still dont understand something that for some people it should be basic.

How would suspension strenght affect rear grip?

I mean, the tires have the same lateral grip regardless of suspension. I also know that the softer the suspension the more body roll there is, but how would body roll affect the lateral level of the grip?

I mean, if we go from the softest suspension in the world to no suspension at all, just metal bars, what makes the difference in lateral grip for the tires?
>>
>>17726393
In really dum dum terms, if you roll, and put more weight on the outside tires(the ones doing the work) then they have more grip. But this has to be balanced with the fact that bodyroll makes transitioning from one turn to the next difficult.
>>
>>17726393
My basic understanding is that stiffer suspension keeps the tyres in a better position for grip and roll is taking grip away from the inside tyres. Yes the outside tyre does the majority or work but I can only assume that having 4 contact patches is better than 2.
Stiffer suspension probably also loads a well setup tyre and wheel more than when there is a lot of roll
>>
Race car Dynamics, Milliken& Milliken.
Chapter 2 explains everything you want to know.

http://books.sae.org/r-146/
>>
>>17726499
Do more body roll genuinely adds more traction on the outside tires or is it a meme?
>>
>>17726499
completely wrong
>>17726552
completely wrong

Here ya go OP
http://www.lateral-g.net/forums/showthread.php4?t=42423
>>
>>17726718
"So how do you work a tire more?
The further the suspension travels … the more weight is transferred TO that end or corner of the car, putting more load & grip on the tire(s) at that end or corner. And more weight is transferred FROM the opposite end or corner, reducing the load & grip on the tire(s) at that end or corner. "

Literally the only thing that matters. Still thanks, i guess this is what ends the debate.

I thought that with softer suspension the amount of weight transfer would not change.
>>
File: 1476158861133.jpg (104KB, 872x685px) Image search: [Google]
1476158861133.jpg
104KB, 872x685px
>>17726674
>asking me to buy a book to read a single part of a single chapter

I wont fall for that, goldberg.
>>
>>17726684
My understanding is that yes, body roll will add more grip to the outside tyres (due to weight transfer and more force being put down onto those tyres). But the grip on the inside tyres will decrease and this decrease is more than you gain on the outside tyres. So overall, the total grip of the tyres actually decreases. Which is why you don't want too much body roll.
>>
>>17727111
You buy it and you've got a book with a bunch of other neat shit in it too numbnuts.
>>
>>17727150
Huh. So that's why in some accurate racing sims i find people running soft suspension with locked diffs. It makes sense.

>>17727175
I dont need to know much more than this. Not paying.
>>
>>17726393
To answer your questions directly OP:
>how would suspension strength affect rear grip?
its relative stiffness to the front suspension will determine which axle bears the most cornering force.

>how would body roll affect the lateral level of the grip?
in most cases it means that the tyre is no longer straight up and down, the tyre is all leaned over so you get a smaller contact patch. Also, in extreme cases (think lincoln town car going balls out) the movement/lean of the body moves the cars centre of gravity to the outside tyres a little bit.

>if we go from the softest suspension to the hardest, what changes?
soft suspension: you have a shit contact patch from poorly located tyres and a wallowing body varying the load on the tyres
metal bars: the car skitters down the road with probably worse grip, because there's probably only two or three tyres contacting the road at once, and even then only briefly and harshly

There's WAY more to this than is worth typing, but essentially any variation from all four tyres being evenly loaded and fully contacting the road = bad.
>>
>>17727111
You can literally find a PDF of it with a Google search.
>>
>>17726393
you can do both study the car and watch hentai
>>
>>17727400
OP here. Trust me. I know that.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.