[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How hard is it to learn manual? What are the clear benefits

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 1495687000340.png (119KB, 209x237px) Image search: [Google]
1495687000340.png
119KB, 209x237px
How hard is it to learn manual?

What are the clear benefits of switching?
>>
Easy as piss.
You become slightly less of a pitiful faggot.
>>
>>17692364
The only benefit of a manual is you can push start the car. Other than that, modern automatics are better in every way possible. Anyone who tells you otherwise is just poor or stupid
>>
benefits
>more control of the car
>not a pussy
>poorfags cant steal it unless theyre mexican
>>
Less than 1 hour to be driving around where you want to go, less than a week to be decently smooth. It's fun. If you're in MN I'll teach you for 20 bucks of gas.
>>
>>17692364
Anyone who says manual is hard is a faggot. Clutches are hydraulic now it's something everyone can do. You don't need it in a car but it makes limp dick shitboxes feel more alive because it's direct drive.
>>
>>17692378
How modern are we talking about?

Is there a larger difference between the two in say a car from the late 80's/early 90's when compared to today?
>>
>>17692409
Nah the only good automatics are ZF and dual clutch. So anything after 2010
>>
>>17692409
it has to be older than 2010 or so.
the other benefit is holding gears when you want it, and the driving 'feel', so manuals are nice on sport-type cars. on pedestrian cars and trucks, they don't serve a lot of purpose.
>>
>>17692426
I'd argue it's nice even for commuter cars, just to wring out a bit of extra power on on-ramps etc.
>>
>>17692423
t. dodge charger owner

aisin is the best automatic gearbox
>>
a day to learn. a week to get used to. a month to be generally comfortable. years to fully master (nitpicking/technique/tricks)

benefits? in older cars, better mpg and faster. in newer cars past like 2000, nothing but fun.

and fun is the only answer that really matters.
>>
>>17692378
>modern automatics are better in every way possible
Except that when it comes to sports cars, manuals are worth more.
>>
It's extremely easy
It gives you more feels than auto, better control of your gas mileage, more desirable in a sports car and you can use it as an excuse to take a date somewhere quiet and secluded to "teach her manual" and make your move
>>
It's easy.

Other than being able to park another autist's car, absolutely nothing.
>>
>>17692364
>How hard is it to learn manual?
Not too hard, but it'll take a while before you're as comfortable as you were with driving automatic
>What are the clear benefits of switching?
More fun in my opinion, also more control of your car unless your automatic has a manual mode with really responsive paddle shifting
>>
>>17692587
Because ice cucks have mental deficiencies.

Still blows my mind that people will pay more money to get a worse car
>>
>>17692927
It's about rarity.
A manual transmission car they made 1,600 of is far more valuable than an automatic one they made 8,000 of.
>>
>>17692364
not having to wait (and sometimes be spooked) for your automatic transmission to change gears for you when you need to accelerate
>>
File: tom.jpg (57KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tom.jpg
57KB, 500x500px
>Tell mechanic step father that I've driven stick shift before
>My car takes a shit, can't fix it on my own
>He gives me his 1992 Dodge truck, an amalgam of different colors and looks like overall shit
>Start sweating bullets as he's watching me try to put it in reverse
>Wasn't hard but go to First Gear and it stalls once
>Stalled at a stop sign several times, had to wave traffic over but got the hang of it, peeled out several times
>Gave him back to him at the end of the week, he said he was impressed where as I just bullshitted my way into learning manual
>Mfw

I just bought a 2001 Firebird manual. I'm excited and a little nervous but I'm sure we'll get there OP. It's not hard, it just takes a bit of getting used to and it's REALLY fun
>>
>>17692378
Apples to apples for most cars made up til about 5 or 6 years, the Manual version was better or quicker.

Even in the GT86 the manual is faster. The last gen SS Camaro had higher HP from the factory in manual version.
>>
>>17692388
>MN
Nice to see a fellow Minnesotan.
>>
>>17692379
>TFW shit ton of cubans in town
Such is life in kentucky.
>>
>>17692378
Manual is fun if you have even a modestly sporty car. Do you hate other people for having fun, anon?

I've also noticed that when I got my first manual car, I started paying more attention to traffic conditions around me instead of following the car in front, so I'd say driving a manual can give you better situational awareness if you don't already have it.
>>
>>17694037
Oh, and one other benefit of owning/knowing how to drive stick - it means you can drive pretty much any car you come accross. Useful if you need to borrow a friend's car or have to drive one in an emergency, and it just happens to be a manual.
>>
File: 1501519858305.jpg (118KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501519858305.jpg
118KB, 960x720px
>>17692364
>How hard is it to learn manual
It's not

>What are the clear benefits of switching
It's fun

End of thread
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.