[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions regarding the Scubaru Outback >Friend is gon get

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: 2002 outback.jpg (89KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
2002 outback.jpg
89KB, 900x600px
Questions regarding the Scubaru Outback
>Friend is gon get her license soonish and knows nothing about cars
(I know a bit thanks to lurking here and youtube)
She wants a good car for daily driving and occasional camping trips & maybe road trips (she loves camping. we live in San Diego so there's a lot of innadesert, innamountainwoods, & beach camping)
>I recommend the 1997-2002ish Subaru Outback
correct me if I'm wrong
>decent MPG at 20-22mpg (especially being AWD)
>Affordable
>reliable
>Safe? (can't find much crash test info on it, but if commercials are right Subarus are & have been p safe)
>fuckton of space
>handles well...I think? I mean It's AWD so I'm assuming
she wants to be able to go offroading, and I hear when lifted they're very offroad capable, but honestly how offroad capable are they stock?
She also eventually wants to go fast, is the stock engine decent for Turboing, engine rebuild w/ forged internals or not? or is that just a waste
also do they make Manual transmission Outbacks?

>I'm still learning about cars too, so don't be too harsh

(going to sleep after I post this thread so I'll check replies when I wake up)
>>
3k civic
>>
Shameless self bump
>>
>friend

What is this shit anon
>>
>>17689708
She's not my type anon
>>
>>17689643
I owned an 01 Outback. Great car, took it on multiple roads trips. Keep up with maintenance and it will last for a long time. I put 90k on mine with minimal maintenance and care. Beware though, those motors are known to have headgasket issues. If it gets overheated once the motor will need work.
>>
Get a manual if you want the proper AWD system. The automatics are crap and will one-wheel-spin.
>>
>>17689729
Also, they're very capable off road, even without lifting and what not.

Don't turbo it "for speed". It will never be a race car and to make it closer to a race car, you'd have to sacrifice everything else that is good with the car. It will easily do all kinds of US speed limits and get there reasonably fast too. Leave it be and maintain it well.
>>
>>17689643
you'll only get 20-22 MPG highway, looking at 16-18 in city driving

Forester will be better stock offroad, but I'm looking at these cars and my usage is going to be very similar, plus moving shit around because university student
>>
>>17689643
tell her to get a real 4x4 it'll do better off road
>>
Don't recommend old car to normal people who don't give a shit about cars.
>>
>>17690365
Who says she won't give a shit?
>>
>>17689643
Sounds like you need a not-Outback
>>
>>17689643
I had a manual outback and I fucking hated it. Could never get the feathering down right and it always jerked going into 2nd.

Wrapped it around a pole doing sick skids and never looked back.
>>
>>17691333
You're a retard who can't drive
>>
>>17691341
>implying it was an accident

don't tell jake from state farm
>>
>>17691325
I'm open to other suggestions
>>
I own and drive a 98 legacy. They are alright cars, not as reliable as a civic or corolla of the same era. The 2.5 litre engines are notorious for blowing head gaskets. It's around $1500 to have that repaired, it's a lot to pay when the car is worth maybe 4k. The pre 98 models have the 2.2l engine which is strides more reliable.(which is what I drive). They do well in the snow if you have decent tires and can off road slightly better than other awd sedans/wagons due to a few extra inches of clearence, but it's nothing special if it's stock. I've slept in mine several times on camping trips and road trips, throw the seats down and you're good to go. Remember that any used 15+ year old car is going to be and crap-shoot as far as reliability goes. I bought one because I needed something awd, didn't want a truck and they're a dime a dozen in the Pacific Northwest.

I'd post pics but I got and brand new phone and don't have any.
>>
I own an automatic 2001 outback, and love it, I've taken it places off road you really wouldn't expect it to go, and its all around a good car. The do make ones that come stock with a turbo, they are designated XT but if you can get one with an H6 engine get that
>>
File: IMG_20161228_085521~02.jpg (3MB, 4048x2187px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161228_085521~02.jpg
3MB, 4048x2187px
>>17689643
L E G A C Y
E
G
A
C
Y
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.